Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Topical News Humor

Topical News Humor2013-03-17T05:07:34+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Funny Topical News Humor

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

NightShade

Hope this isn’t verbotten, but sometimes I need to find humor in the News cuz so much of it is depressing…. and some topics are NOT to be Discussed.. I’m SO Tired of all of the Politics , Ecomonics and Lack of HealthCare issues… So here’s one that’s timely, NOT meant to Offend anyone, and it’s not new, just timely and lends a little levity even to Italy’s Economic Situation….
    Hope it gives some of you a SMILE or Chuckle at least…..
    I was raised a Catholic and if we can’t Laugh at Ourselves
    IMHO the it’s time to Relax 😀 and DeStress. Now Sing-along…..

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Excellent – I remember Tom Lehrer when I was a kid. Is it just me or were the older comedians much cleverer than today’s generation? The young upcoming standup comedians in the UK today just seem to rant and swear for an hour and people find it funny.

But talking of newsworthy things that make one smile – the Six Nations Rugby yesterday – Wales triumphant! Horrah. Watching the replay is better than a double shot of Ritalin.

REPORT ABUSE

NightShade

Yah, even in the USA the Best Comedians were the ones that could inteligently use the language w/o “explitives deleted” and still get an actual belly chuckle out of us… I know OR I hear that our sense of humor is different yet I also know whe enjoy some of the same comedians….I’m just sorry that our TV didn’t carry some of the UK programs and we only get them on our PBS Stations like now programs like Downton Abbey, but as for humor I would have loved to see that old program that Hugh Laurie was in… I absolutle love him even now thru all of his incarnations. I miss over here hearing more of the comedians that used the words of our language and literally disected them or their defintions of the pulics usage of them… like Jerry Seinfeld, even Originally George Carlin who said “I bought a ticket to fly somewhere and when boarding time comes they ask me to Get ON the Plane… I want to get IN the plane.” etc…. On a little rougher note I even sadly miss cuz he’s getting older Billy Connelly~ He use to literally make my ribs hurt from laughing..
    So does Robin Williams, but then I’m in CA and undertsand most of his references… I always preferred their “cleaner shows” as opposed to when the were in the Night Clubs and were expected to do a more “Adult Show.” I think it takes more Intelligence to get a belly chuckle w/o the “Adult Language” but some could even so do it tastefully… I must confess the LP Album I bought for humor was Carlin’s AM/FM when it was New, so I guess that dates me 😀
    I hadn’t heard of Tom Lehrer until someone showed me this video last week.. Dang, just looked him up, I probably also heard a LOT of his stuff here but didn’t know it.. I watched this show all the time back then.. “In the 1960s, he produced a number of songs dealing with social and political issues of the day, particularly when he wrote for the U.S. version of the television show That Was The Week That Was.” Well, I learned my “one new thing for today Already” .. That’s one of my goals, so I this was a perfect was to start the day, with Comedy 🙂 NO Green Beer for me today tho… Thanks for educating me more on Lehrer!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Tom Lehrer is a truly amazing person…especially when you consider that his liner notes about “being prepared to deny, under oath, having anything to do with these songs” wasn’t just an idle bit of satire, in those dark days of McCarthyism.  As a member of the faculty at Harvard, he stood to lose a lot, if someone had decided to investigate him further for his “subversive tendencies”.

I’ve loved his songs since I was really little, when I used to watch “The Electric Company” (the original one, NOT the current drek).  He did several songs for it, including “Silent E”, “L-Y”, “N’T”, “SNore, SNiff, SNeeze”, and “The HOUnd Song”.

When I got a little bit older, I discovered his more satirical canon, and I got a copy of “The Tom Lehrer Songbook”.  To this day, one of my vocal warm-ups (for enunciation) is to sing through “The Elements”.  And it was a proud day for this little mathematical illiterate (ilcalculate?) when I learned the concept of “New Math” from his song about it.

I’ve written to him 3 times in the past 25 years, and he’s always written back.  This puts me well into the running for the title of World’s Laziest Stalker.

In his first letter to me, he said something that makes so much sense, that it’s always stuck with me: 

“Next to money, I like adulation best.”

(Works for me!)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I love the idea of you being the World’s Laziest Stalker Larynxa.

I suppose ADDers wouldn’t make good stalkers. ‘I’ll follow them when I remember… Or when I get around to it….. Or after I have just popped into this shop to browse for a bit…..’ It wouldn’t work would it…..

REPORT ABUSE

Mimi Gibson

I love this! Thanks.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)