Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Totally ADD: No Exercise

Totally ADD: No Exercise2011-07-12T14:36:31+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Exercise Totally ADD: No Exercise

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author

ipsofacto

Can’t help with exercise addiction, I afraid.

Reading Carrie’s post about soreness after weight training, I used to suffer the same (delayed onset muscle soreness DOMS). Since starting supplementing Mg, I haven’t had any soreness. I have been reading the DOMS remedies sold for body builders all seem to contain magnesium.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

My answer to DOMS was to run more. LOL

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Now this is ironic.

Tomorrow just might be the day for the BIG Mavericks waves to come in. The next mavericks annual surf contest is shaping up [possibly]. I had a little bit of trouble sleeping last night just thinking about it. Just watching some exercises can get my heart really pumpen. Watching football gets me all worked up. Watching nascar gets me worked up. Breathing too much air gets me worked up.

I’m a recovering adrenaline junkie. Guess I don’t need to say any more. @Fabulous I think I can relate to what you’re talking about. It started way back in about 7th grade. At scout camp they used to call me “muscles”, when we played “king of the hill”, I pushed all the other kids off the hill, I was pushing back against all the bullies in my life. A lot. I ran with it and by the time I was a sophomore. I had a full on body building, road biking, mountain biking, a lil running (used to get a side ache) sports addiction.  And I loved being on the track team. In 9th grade I won the all around boys track team MVP award. The only time I remember my parents showing up at school for anything at all. I was proud to be a track star that day. Never knew I was a track star until then. Of course I forgot about it within a few weeks because I didn’t have the self esteem that usually comes with it.

I was running away from problems. Pushing weights because they represented my problems. Destroying quarterbacks because I was jealous of all the chicks they got that I wanted. I got to play outside linebacker/defensive end. It was fun, not for the quarterback though.

I don’t run any more, or bike etc. But yep, I still love that addrenaline stuff. Can’t seem to get enough when my motor gets started. It ain’t easy but I’m starting to learn a lil moderation. Moderately. I especially take it nice and easy when it comes to trying to mellow out. In other words I don’t give myself a hard time when I still act a little bit foolish. It takes a long time to slow down when you’ve been traveling at the speed of light for such a very long time. I’m just a lil bit faster than the sound barrier I think. Don’t quote me on that though 🙂

I’ve been thinking about getting a Wii thing for a couple years… I will probably break it though. Hmm.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I try to find a reason for exercising, other than the usual “It’s good for you”.

Calculating how much money I’ll save by walking instead of taking transit, is a great motivator for me.   I have a firm rule that, unless the weather is really horrible, or I’m really pressed for time, or I’ve managed to hurt myself, if my destination is further south than Yonge & Dundas (about 1 mile from my home), I won’t waste a TTC fare ($3.00) on it.

I also get to vary my route and enjoy the scenery along the streets—which is way more interesting than looking at the same old subway tunnels & stations, as they whizz by.

If I need rhinestones, I’ll walk to the rhinestone store (1.5 miles), and sometimes I’ll walk home, too.  If I want Chinese Food, I’ll walk to my favourite restaurant in Chinatown (about 2 miles), and take transit home.   After an appointment at the Springboard Clinic, I’ll walk home (about 2.5 miles).

I do this, just for the hell of it, because it’s a nice way to pass the time.  And because it saves me the cost of a fare.  And because people are impressed when I tell them I walked all the way there (and/or back from there).

The bonus is, yeah, it’s good for me.  And, when there’s a transit strike, it’s no big deal to me, because I’m used to walking.

And, so far, it’s helped me to lose 10 lbs. over the past 2 months, so that’s good, too.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

@larynxa you make the city sound pretty cool. Thanks. I like hearing about peoples lives the way you talk about yours. I hope all the rest of our not ready for prime time players come back around soon.

Sometimes I get a lil bummed when I come here and don’t find lot’s of news to read about all the cool folks we got camping here. Even the unhappy stuff is good to read cuz I know people are dealing with problems, solving em. Getting solutions, n giving solutions. We’re all growing into happy fruitful human beings here. A big happy family of lunatics n maniacal freaks. nice folks too, all warm n full of sunshine. 🙂

Go ahead a smile proud gang. Now go outside n play in the sunshine.

I’m gonna exercise tomorrow. Lot’s!, I’ll break a sweat and feel good and not over-do it. You guys n gals can take that to the bank too. It’s bit scary when my heart gets pumpen hard nowadays. Ahm getting a lil bit older and I know too many folks that have had strokes, heart attacks and clots and COPD, etc. etc. I’ve got decent heart health, but with not being a spring chicken any more n not wanting to die n stuff. Well, I’m glad this topic came up for us. It’s a much more favorable option that putting pills in me to exercise. I appreciate being reminded of such an excellent form of medication.

The dopamine we squirt into our brains when we exercise really is just as potent as the medications we take. Much better for the ticker though. I like my ticker.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

Hi @robbo, yes, a lot of what you say sounds familiar — especially with it starting in childhood. I was about 9 when I started really experimenting.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just wish a treadmill wouldn’t look silly in a living room. I’d use it more. Right now it’s in the basement and I’m lucky to average 5 miles a week on it.

REPORT ABUSE

Blue Yugo

I used to (and still occasionally) do bicycle rides with small groups of people.  But the rides I mostly do are not just mid-morning Saturday jobs…I ride after work, on a wooded path, in the dark.  I bring this up on an ADD forum for this reason:

There’s nothing that causes me to be more focused on ONE thing for an hour than riding a bike through the dark woods at 18 mph with nothing but LED headlights lighting the way.  I think what’s happening is I feel a few senses of “survival”.  1.  Keep up with the other riders or get left behind.  2.  Keep moving this way the black bears, wolves, and geese (yes, seriously) don’t get you.  3.  All you can see is what your LED beam illuminates, and ignorance to the dangers of the woods around you is bliss.

Focusing without the mind-wandering actually happens automatically for me because I know I have to watch the shadows for ruts, signals of downed tree branches from riders ahead of me, and just plain going like hell back to the car-park.  Once the sun goes down, my mind doesn’t wander and my eyes can’t sight-see.  Riding in darkness on road or in the woods involves a minor investment, and sadly without health insurance, I don’t do much of it any more lest my luck run out while I got no coverage.  But it is one of my rare escapes into a world where my mind won’t wander because something clicks on that prevents it.  Sadly, I can’t be in that state all the time or by choice, and hyper-focusing in other scenarios is hit or miss and practically up to chance and luck.

Either way, day or night, group riding is fun because I feel like riders all feed off of each other’s energy, drive, and motivation.  Maybe ADD’ers more than others, but the dedicated riders I tag along with have more than enough energy to spare.  (I don’t envy them, though.  I may have a million hobbies, but some of these riders have precisely one hobby they revolve their lives around: bicycling.  I’d rather shift my attetion 250 times a day than to be stuck devoting all my mental energy to being an expert in one thing.  Ugh.)

– Viv

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

When I was 19 I didn’t even own a motor vehicle. I just had my 10 speed bike. I was making samwiches at Togo’s in the middle of Silicon Valley. It was awesome. I was “kicking ass and taking names” as we used to say. Really thought my self was great.

“Self” esteem was not something I really understood at all. I did a lot of patting myself on the back because I had become an asst. Mgr. after only 7 Months. I used to listen to Accept “balls to the wall” on a huge boombox when we closed the place and we could blast it as loud as we wanted. I would race along on Lawrence expwy. seeing the same drivers at the same (bat) intersections. I felt like I was so much better than “the rest of those animals” in the rat race because I wasn’t adding to all the smog in the 1984 sky.

Kicking, biting, scratching, and clawing my way along that same grind. I spent my days off in the foothills up past Saratoga, and Los Gatos. Chasing my favorite drug. (when I wasn’t chasing beautiful Ca. gals)

Some of the most beautiful Ca. hills. All covered in green grass n trampled on gently by those famous happy cows. Yep folks the happy cows do exist in Cali  I’ve been eating them for years. Good stuff. Now I eat fresh wheat grass just like them too.

🙂

Grass fed beef. ***flexing bicep***

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21160526

Short bursts of intense exercise appear to be more effective at breaking down fat, than long periods of moderate exercise.

That sounds encouraging to those of us who prefer doing things in short bursts.

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

i have difficulties with getting started and being consistent with exercise too. also the all or nothing thing….

on the bright side, though it took around 2 years or so for me to hook up the wii my parents had passed down for me and the kids to use, i finally did it, about a month ago. and so glad i did! i find the wii fit is a great beginning(considering i had not been to the gym or doing any formal exerise since i was pg with my son over 8 years ago!). it gives immediate feedback, and has a good variety to get started.the kids don’t care much for the wii fit, though my daughter will try to do the yoga poses by my side, and root for me while doing the balance and aerobic exercises. it also inspired me to search other types of wii games that i would enjoy, and hoped the kids would do with me. so far, ddr(dance revolution) was disappointing, but bep experience is challenging and a great workout. what i like to do is start with the wii fit balance to warm up, then do some of the yoga, strength, and aerobic exercises, and then do bep when/if i’m up for a fun and intense workout.always hope i’ll do this daily, but hasn’t happened yet.

in the summer i like to take the kids to the pool. to add a little exercise more than just playing around i’ll “taxi” them back and forth, or we’ll do races. 3even teaching them to dive is a bit of a workout as i’ll lift them out from the deep end to save time, as well as support them as they’re learning the form (trying to avoid belly-flops)

that’s all i’ve been able to manage since having kids, and being essentially a single parent (husband/father works very long hours, and isn’t very involved the small amount he is around), but it’s a start!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@g.laiya, swimming pools are great places to exercise.

It  feels so different to be in water, and we love things that are different!  Plus, there’s the instant resistance of moving in water, and you don’t sweat when you work out in water.

And if you’re a little plump, you float better!  I float too well.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

G’day space cadets! Funny I should land here in the exercise yard after a bit of a hiatus, because I’m kicking off a fitness regime in 2 days time! I’ve been preparing for it with some easy stretches, and some not too taxing exercises! I’m doing the exercise thingy as I’ll be giving up the smokes so I hope that I don’t run out of puff too quickly! *slaps self for shit joke 🙂 * How do we get the funny faces up here?

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Yo! Allan! gld to see ya back around old man. How’ve you been?

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

I just watched the Greg Lemond video!
    2: 24:    “Exercise, I am telling you, it opened my brain to learning. But it has to be more than just walking; it’s gotta have some intensity.”

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)