Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Two weird things my brain does…

Two weird things my brain does…2012-01-29T14:54:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Two weird things my brain does…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I know I shouldn’t beat myself up for it, but I do feel responsible for getting the wrong diagnosis to some degree.”

100% understand you there. I’m waiting for my diagnosis, and I can’t stop thinking about how I’ll explain what is going on in my head and the way I deal with my life. I’m really weird with the way I describe things. I can never really see it from a precise perspective; everything I say never feels 100% how I feel and think. If that makes sense? It’s like my verbal communication is almost a separate thing. I’m afraid of expressing too much or not enough.

I don’t worry *too* much about it, though. I’m sure psychiatrists can see past the verbal communication, as they’re professionally trained and can spot trains of thought and behaviour. In other words, they can probably pin down something despite the fact that you may not have expressed it perfectly. There are other aspects to back you up.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

“everything I say never feels 100% how I feel and think” “I’m afraid of expressing too much or not enough”

YES!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it’s tricky to describe everything that is going on in the minds of those who are always mentally busy. Most of the time, I forget what I’m thinking about, or how I could have felt on a particular day. It’s almost like a different person is reciting my emotions for me. I feel like my thoughts are tainted somewhat. They feel VERY hazy. Like there’s a thick layer of foggy glass covering almost everything.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello ashockley 55!

I was just reading your first post and have an answer for your #2 brain thingie!

Our ADD brains search for stimulation all the time and negative emotions are very ‘hot’ and thus we have tendancies for our minds to grab onto into these things. I’ve noticed this about myself…the 3 am ‘what ifs’..etc etc…getting the heebie jeebies before bed….what’s that sound…what if the thing under my bed grabs me by the ankles…

(I’ve also noticed that I cannot take a shower EVER unless the door is locked…I guess ghosts and ‘the man with the butcher knife’ will try the door, and if it’s locked, just walk away and say ‘Damned locked door!’

Because I know this about the ADD brain now, I concentrate on positive ‘busy’ thoughts, trying to retrain my brain not to automatically ‘go there’ and if it does, I quickly turn my thoughts elsewhere or read an interesting book, watch TV..anything to keep my mind from ‘looping’. It’s just an automatic habit that the brain defaults to but like any habit, it can be worked on.

I’ve noticed that I can block out these unwanted thoughts by figuring out new configurations of my furniture or different layouts of the house…kind of like working a puzzle I suppose???

Hope this helps!

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

MerryMac,

You are my soulmate and I love you. :D

(okay, so I know I’m new here, and ya’ll might not know my sense of humor yet and might think I’m a weird-o, so this is just a disclaimer that I’m not a weird-o, and I’m just showing appreciation for the above post. Thanks!)

Amber

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I deffintly do the reappearing phrases and songs. If a lyric grabs my attention it can stay with me all day or even weeks.

I have an issue with nightmares that are bold and vivid and often violent. I will awake disoriented, stand up often to only fall on my face. My girlfriend as reported whimpering, talking and one time begging for it to stop. I seem to only do these things during these nightmares all of which I have a tendency to remember. Ive let these events fuel the darker side of my creative works since I was a child.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if talking in our sleep, toothgrinding are more common with ADHD. My mom said that I was grinding from very early on. And talking – poor hubbie thought he was supposed to wake up and try to converse with me when I was talking/arguing/crying in my sleep. When he thinks I’m in distress he wakes me.

REPORT ABUSE

wawabyjohnah
    Participant

I get number 1 all the time. It drives me nuts too. I play in a brass band and phrases from the music can go round and round in my head between rehearsals so much so that can end up hating a piece that I once loved. Words from songs do the same- they just randomly pop into my head I’m sure just to send me loopy.

Number 2- I read somewhere recently that our brains do the over active imagination/fantasy thing as it produces adrenaline and/or some other chemicals in our brains that we lack, and what better to force some adrenaline pumping than something scary (If I can find the link I will put it up). I don’t do the ghosts or spirits though, I imagine me being seriously injured/trapped by some accident. I’m a firm believer in positive thinking, your thoughts turn in to reality etc, so I have tried and tried to stop these thoughts by thinking of happy things, but it hasn’t worked so far, my fantasies just revert back to the bad thoughts again :(

Johnah

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I always have one part of a song stuck in my head. I always get stuck on thoughts too. One time I listened to the same song two hours a day, for 2 weeks straight. I do that often. Or I think about the same thing over and over and over. Like a situation, or person I met in a situation. It plays on repeat. I play songs on repeat too. Drives my husband nuts hahaha

I do have an active imagination…. I found it was worse when watching horror movies or listening to certain songs. I used to watch a lot of horror movies until I realized how paranoid I got… I still am a paranoid person, but now I have my husband to reassure me things are ok and not everyone is watching me and why would a satellite pin point me out of everyone else in the world. hahahaha Though I still think this one person who works at a store here stalks me! Every time im in there he follows me around! Maybe he thinks im going to steal something I DONT KNOW! But I just stick close to my husband and he just tell me im paranoid hahaha

I used to have dreams and nightmares every night all night since I was a kid. I could remember them so vividly as well. I still remember some reoccurring ones ive had since a child. I also had almost my own little world where a lot of my dreams took place. There was always this pond about 10 feet long and 6 foot wide that was muddy in colour, but super warm water and lots of frogs and toads! I LOVE frogs and toads. In my dreams my dad would often take me there. He would be fishing while I would play in the water hoping to catch a toad. There was also this old dark house. It was always night there with big black thorny vines up the side. My class would always take field trips there. In one of those dreams I was shot. That was scary. Everything went black and I could hear my heart beat slower and slower until it stopped. Then I woke up. Even though they seem like dark places they brought me comfort. Ive had many dreams in those places. Same with a weird dark city. Made me feel good inside though *shrugs* I also used to dream about my school. It was always night and there were always wolves in the back forest. That one occurred a lot. I would wake myself up after running from them. oh oh!! One other reoccurring night mare was a possessed cat trying to hurt me. Its eyes were so big and black and it would constantly jump at my face. I would push it away not wanting to hurt the poor thing but it wouldnt leave me alone. I would try to kill it, but it would never die and I felt sooooooooo bad for trying to hurt this cat. But all this stopped when I got pregnant. Now its maybe once a month I have a night or two of complete whacked out night mares. Not your typical being chased nightmare either. Mine are a very horrific, gory, psychotic horror movie type night mare. Always lots of gore. Blood and guts. Im used to them by now. I just wake myself up, go back to sleep and hope not to enter the same dream. Those nights suck only because Im having to wake myself up all the time. Last month however one was quite bad. I dont remember what it was. I just remember it being gory and making me feel so horrible. I would wake myself up and fall back into the same nightmare. Bleh. Now I wake up, tell husband ive had a bad dream and he cuddles me. Makes me feel a bit better.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know what you mean about the repetetive songs. It can even be one I like, but after a while, enough is enough!!! I have far fewer nightmares that I used to have – not quite sure what has changed. They used to be very graphic and would linger for a long time. It makes it hard to get a good nights sleep. I can’t watch horror movies at all, have never been able to.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is so interesting. Yes! I definitely experience #1 all the time. It happens especially in the morning. Mornings are so mentally overactive and overwhelming for me. “Pop-up” phrases loop. If I just learned a new vocabulary word and/or someone said (or I read) an interesting phrase,idea,idiom, wording, and definitions I’ll repeat them in my head until I either write it down or write about it.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Sometimes I’ll have bad dreams. Earlier this year, I kicked out in my sleep and sent the cat flying across the room. :D

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)