Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Verbal Vomit…

Verbal Vomit…2011-03-21T00:59:08+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other Verbal Vomit…

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone else talk too damned much!!!

I disclose ALL of my business to everyone all of the time!!!! There is no topic that is taboo. Nothing that is so personal or potentially embarrassing that I won’t blabber it all over the place. Everyone is well aware of all of my issues, my defects, my IBS, ADD…my divorce, foreclosure…you name it, they know it. I have comforted myself by saying that we are all just people and that we all have the same issues…but…I don’t think people want to know all about me. Otherwise, they would tell me their business as well.

What’s up with this? Is this common for ADD? Or is it just me?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Blurting is an ADD specialty. If we suffer from a deficit of attention, we make up for it with an abundance of chatter!

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I like to think that I am a discriminate blabber. When I see the eyes glaze over (unless I am at the crux of the story) I have been known to cut the story off and move on. People wonder why I never ask about them, I don’t do this because I am so open that I figure that if they wanted me to know they would tell me. I also use the verbal diarrhea to cover a lot of my own secrets. If you lay all this stuff on them they don’t really go looking beneath the surface. 8)

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

Beignet

Friends listen, friends care. Some people don’t listen because they are too wrapped up in themselves. I will often give unsolisited advice. Now If I hear the same sob story over and over then I’m being dumped on–and after a while-I just tune out.

I rememeber a teacher in high school telling me “Talk, Talk, Talk all you do is talk but nothing ever comes out”

Yeah I believe when we get any attention we try to hold on to it. Sorry about the divorce. My wife said I was often off the wall and completely unpredictable. Life with undiagnosed ADHD is a chalenge for friends and family.

Divorced once.married 19 years.Thought things would get better-never did…Divorce .. best thing that ever happened. Great family I just got the Black Sheep.

Second marriage wonderful. (20 years) Yes there are good people out there. When I met my wife I basically said “What you see is what you get”. I went back to basics.. Middle class values, european background. I dated people who could relate to this.

Communication-open truthfull communication-is a requirement for me. My mind races to fast to play games. I need a solid foundation and since I have a tendency to skip and bounce the more informed my wife has is the easyer it is for her to follow along.

Good Luck on your journey

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Friends do listen, but I don’t just talk to friends. I talk to anyone within earshot. It doesn’t even matter if they’re listening. I talk to my dog almost non-stop (he’s a good sport and at least tries to stay awake).

I’ve had a date ask me “Do you ever shut up?” (haha – er, no)

My ex-husband used to call me “Chad”, which, although it ends with a D, it was actually short for Chatty Cathy.

Just this afternoon, I was on the phone with a friend who said to me (when he was finally able to get a word in), “Do you realize you just went through about 15 different subjects in 5 minutes without even stopping to let me say anything?”

Only 15? I must be slowing down.

My dear Beignet (mmmmm, beignets–Louisiana native here), you are not alone. Uh-uh, no way, no how. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

P.S. Talking for me is an indicator of my mood. If I’m feeling down or not feeling well, I don’t talk any more than anyone else. But when I’m happy, watch out world. I will talk the ears off a bunny rabbit. So I think my friends should be glad when I’m running my mouth.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bren…ya know it’s funny…everyone knows I talk and they act as if they don’t want to hear sometimes. But when I don’t talk they are the first to say “what’s wrong?”. I’m also called a drama queen by some.

Last year was a VERY stressful year. Divorce after 25 yrs, foreclosure, moved into a new house on my own for the first time in my life, new relationship, emotionally abandoned by my sisters during my divorce, two daughters graduated, one got married, son-in-law went to Iraq, son failed 9th grade, my daughter got arrested for shoplifting and went to jail, I rear ended 2 people in 2 separate accidents costing 8000.00 damages to my car, job on the line due to excessive tardies, started menopause, neighbors called animal control cause my dog got out of the yard which cost me hundreds of $$$, diagnosed with depression and anxiety (again) and I had a meltdown and went on leave of absence for 2 months.

I was told by my boss last year that my life was too intense for my coworkers and that I should stop talking about it.

Ain’t that sweet???

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, Wynona Ryder is your daughter?? That is so cool.

Seriously, I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve had friends chastise me for telling everyone everything about me. I am an open book, and I’ve always found that it enables me to help the people around me. If I start blabbing about something that’s going on with me, it NEVER fails that someone will pull me aside or send me a private message saying something like, “I saw that you mentioned x…I have the same issue, but I’m afraid to talk to anyone” or “…I don’t know what to do. Can you help me?”

So it’s not all bad. I think people should just leave us the hell alone, B.

(and this time, I’m REALLY going to bed) :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

And another thing, being open helps me weed out the kind of people I don’t want in my life to begin with.

Judge not, lest you be judged yourself. That’s a good way to be.

REPORT ABUSE

Hans

Beignet

Sorry about your boss, co workers and sister.

Life can be difficult at times.

I gave an innocent opinion why I thought my niece did not need to replace a $300 camera with a $500 camera (1984).

I was black listed by my sister for 10 years….

Rambling on..

I have had some great enlightened bosses and some really PI– Poor Ones. I just try to survive-knowing I would be changing jobs soon when I had a poor one..

I often placed myself in the position of my sub-ordinates and managed accordingly

I was a dept head in data processing/production controll. Paper Plant Algecieras Spain 1980-1983

Some of the things my ADHD brain did to help the office atmosphere.

The programmers in my office could thnink about personal problems-and I would never know. Production/progress would suffer.

Hence I adopted the open door policy. I would talk to anyone at any time on any subject. A 10 minute conversation led to 7 hours and 50 minutes of production. If the person needed time off He was given time off. An unfocused mind writting a payroll program is not a pretty thing. on Friday afternoon..

If an employee was not working on an application he was allowed to read any technical/work related information. I did not want him to appear busy when his time could be used for better purpose. He just could not read the news paper.

Net results- from 180 late orders a month to zero-

Defects in orders zero.

Payroll errors zero

Billing -errors zero

It’s sad there are so many DUMB BOSSES out there that cannot see the big picture..

The water cooler has a purpose besides water.

My Father -In-Law in Spain said, “in Spain we work to live, in the United States you live to work” I liked Spain better.

Good Luck I will have you in my prayers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also spew forth information especially when meeting someone for the first time. I almost feel as I’m hiding something if I don’t that people will “find out ” if I don’t tell them first.

REPORT ABUSE

jpsimard

It’s a common problem, but ADDers, there is hope! Cognitive behavioral therapy! I RELY on it when my medication is either worn off, or is wearing out… and it’s already saving me a world of hurt. I think that we have to accept just as much responsibility as we expect the people being effected by us to!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I think that we have to accept just as much responsibility as we expect the people being effected by us to!’

This is a concept I am finally willing to accept, face and own. I’m not quite sure how to make amends for my past blunders but am willing to begin to accept my part in them.

REPORT ABUSE

Takingbacktyler

I will frequently stop at certain parts of a story im telling and alot of the time noone says “go on” the just start talking about something else and thats when i know ive fallen victim to verbal vomit. It happens alot haha

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow this is a great thread. If I could stop talking to everyone in the house I could concentrate on what I want to type here… And it is tons..

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)