Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Waking up in the morning

Waking up in the morning2011-09-14T10:24:15+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Waking up in the morning

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got some really big problems waking up in the morning, and I have ever since i can remember..

It’s like I can’t shut my brain on,or off(?), I can’t feel my body or make it do what i want it to,,and it’s impossible to get out of bed..! so im just lying there for hours,feeling trapped, sleeping, but not sleeping.. does anybody else with add have this issue? can it be a sleep disorder..? i don’t know if i can take it anymore..what should i do?..

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Yes.

And I’ve gone through the sleep study – but they won’t tell me the results – I have to wait until another appointment in NOVEMBER!!!

So I pulled a good one on them – I had the person talking to me about ADD request my medical records from them, and she’ll let me know what they found. I filled out the paperwork so she could have full access to everything.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

YES! I have this issue too and have for years. Here are a few of the sleep threads:

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=1038

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=1808

I take sleep meds to sleep at night and have been putting my ADHD med on my nightstand to take first thing in the AM (although I still lay around on sleep in days for hours not wanting to sit up to take the med). neither are the answer or solution to this problem.

in some people, it can be depression related. this habit is is much worse if I am depressed, but I experience it daily no matter what.

I am getting pretty set on asking my doc for a sleep study referral.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It sounds like sleep paralysis. I’ve had that a number of times, although it didn’t last for hours. For me, it’s part of the symptoms of narcolepsy. You need to talk to your doctor and get a referral for a sleep study to see what else might be going on.

Go for it, sugargremlin.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

sleep paralysis is scary! i once had a half and half (ie half awake half sleeping) nightmare that I was being raped and couldn’t escape! i also had one that I had taken a heroin overdose (i don’t do drugs!) and was feeling myself die… =(.

the waking up thing for me is definitely not the same as sleep paralysis. i can still move around..ie. like tossing and turning. just have hours worth of half asleep half awake knowing that I should get out of bed and and feeling compelled not to get up for hours sensation. I don’t know if this is what you experience, julie. takes me hours to feel alert.

and I am right now.. researching sleep labs and sending emails. why keep having these questions for years? I’ve had sleep issues since I was a child. It also runs in my family. I started taking ambien because my mom took it and she would let me sample it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been in sleep research frenzy!!!!!!! hyperfocus for the win………………????

i think what you are describing is:

known as

sleep inertia

“sleep drunkenness”

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/glossary/g/Sleep_Inertia.htm

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/doihaveasleepdisorder/f/Sleep_Inertia.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_inertia

……….must pull myself away…………….. so stuck to the computer. my man needs to come and tear me away lol. yay I have a man now.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m the same: can’t get to sleep at night and can’t wake up in the morning. I keep thinking at my age (68) that I should be able to make my body do what I want it to do by now, but nope! Right now I’m taking Benedryl a couple hours before I’d like to be asleep. It helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I sometimes do that with Robaxacet (muscle relaxant) but it just helps me fall asleep a bit better, it doesn’t improve the quality of sleep or how I feel in the morning.

REPORT ABUSE

anniea

OOooo I found this stuff non perscription that has helped me like crazy.. Calms Forte homeopathic medication by Hylands…

It does not make me tired it helps me relax and be able to sleep, and if I need to be up in the morning, I go to bed early and take this Calms Forte…can use it for anxiety too, but I have always used it for sleep.. If I can get to bed early I can get up much easier..if not faster… It does not work fast tho, so you have to take it 30 mins or so before bedtime..I also have a little routine that involves hot choc with milk..

I think I even gave this to my Dxd daughter when she was younger when she could NOT sleep…not habit forming…just something that works for me..no “hang over” either..LOVE IT.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe milk contains tryptophan, which is helpful in promoting sleep. But for someone with a sleep disorder, I don’t think this would help. It’s the brain that’s dysfunctional.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i wish natural supplements would work!!! far far too much TMI, but hey this is a real situation. my new boyfriend has a second shift job while I am trying to reform my sleep schedule. we have only mornings together during the week, but I am so lethargic in the morning that I have zero sex drive and am not the most sociable person. All I can manage is laying in bed and taking a shower >_<. morning sex has always always been a no go…but now not so convenient >_<. We put together a strategy because this could possibly strain the new relationship. blarg! and getting a late start in the early afternoon is rough on my concentration. Without the ADD meds, I would be unable to have him over at all related to not being able to compensate for the late start in productivity. I am still not productive, but better and more workable now. I am finding that I am finding more free time!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m going to the Heath Food Store for some of that Calm Forte. I need all the help I can get.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes that is exactly how i feel in the morning Julie! Its not always the case that i am tired, but im just so relaxed i dont want to get up even though i tell my brain that i need to get up. I had therapists tell me i must force myself to do it but they dont understan i cant force myself to get up until the very last possible minute before i know ill be late for work.

I also have a one year old son who sometimes sits in his crib until 12:00pm because i cant force myself to get up unless he starts screaming and i feel absolutely terrible. I have just found an add therapist that im gonna talk to about everything.

Did you get diagnosed with anything yet?

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

I am the same way. The distance between when I “wake up” and when I “get up” is a span of two hours, sometimes more on my days off.

I also let my obligations go, such as getting up and feeding my dog.

I get up at the last minute to get myself ready for work and go. For this reason, if something happens to throw me off, like it did the other day when I spilled some food all over the only uniform I had clean to wear to work that day, then I am really put in a bind. I go into a angry, irritable frenzy and end up having to call work and tell them I will be late.

I just can’t get up.

It’s part real fatigue, but more so just not wanting to get up and attend to the obligations of the day. I can’t tear myself away from my daydreams. My daydreams and fantasies are so nice, and require so little, that I’d much rather just lay there and have those instead of get up and attend to the things that for me are so, so hard, but seem to be just an easy, automatic matter of course for others.

I fantasize about sex, I fantasize and daydream about success, about being important, and loved, and adored. I fantasize about being desired. I fantasize about being a successful writer, poet. I daydream about doing all these incredible things.

Maybe if I actually got up and got to doing things, I could become everything I fantasize about.

But when I get up to do things, there’s all these daily chores to attend to. And just doing those wear me out.

I don’t have any time or energy (physical, mental or otherwise) to be awesome.

If I can’t even muster the willpower to get out of bed, to change the litter box, to vacuum, to keep the kitchen clean, to wipe down the bathroom, to go grocery shopping, to manage a meal plan and cook for myself, to complete my reading and assignments on time…….how can I ever become a sexy, trim, accomplished, well-traveled, charismatic, engaged, productive writer, teacher and lover on top of all that????????

Feel hopeless.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey ashockley – girlie (remember that :-)) –

You are all those things girlie so start believing!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)