Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What Happened to the Site??

What Happened to the Site??2011-04-19T18:17:17+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Other What Happened to the Site??

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My husband (who is the photography enthusiast) says that the TPMG forum has a lot more, but you have to join (and be logged in) to see it. Which brings up another point, some of us might be sensitive to saying stuff on here and having some forum areas private might be useful too.

Just putting in my six cents worth on a 2 cent topic. I always think of stuff after I’ve barged in and said my two cents worth. Anyone else have that problem?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found the changes to the website are good for me. The med one espicially.

Way easier to find stuff about particular meds. (On Concerta myself.)

But yeah, at first I didn’t like it. It’s different! I hate different. Like someone rearranged the furniture in my apartment. Took a while to let go of that. James, what else is coming down the pipeline?

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Change ain’t fun but we can count on it, that’s for sure. It’s dependable. That’s something I would like to be called more. [dependable, that is] I’m gaining integrity all the time these days. I’m new here so I like the site the way it is. I can get lost anywhere so I’m real happy I can keep track of what I’m talking about and to who just by clicking on my profile. I also keep copies of stuff that’s important in a folder in my documents, that way I don’t always have to log on to read helpful stuff that I tend to forget.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

That’s cool Robbo :) I’ve been keeping a word doc and pasting my favorite posts into it. On a really perfect day I can use that search function and actually figure out where the threads are – I think it tells you the name of the thread – and sometimes you can look through the titles and actually find the sucker. Other days – I try, but it eludes me. I can’t remember what the search results said by the time I start looking through the threads, or I remember it wrong. It’s kind of like a test – how’s my working memory at this moment? Ha! I suppose I could write the search results down if I had a pen and piece of paper handy (not), and that would require some amount of patience anyway… It seems like if the search function can find the thread, it could take you there too, but I’ve tried to do web programming and it’s mind boggling how hard it is to make stuff like that work!! More often than not, you can actually bring the whole site down just trying to do some supposedly easy thing. (Good thing I’m not a web designer!) I’m grateful for what this site is able to do, so no complaints here. It will be fun to see how it’s functionality grows as the webmasters gradually work their magic tricks on it :)

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Interesting topic – and good ideas, munchkin and robbo.

I administer a forum myself – auto related. The forum framework I run, yes, I am webmaster, administrator, etc – but the forum, no, the people are what makes it.

I could put up the coolest (IMO) site in the world, but if no people posted, what would it be?

FYI – you must be a bit crazy and hyper to run a forum…………… it’s a requirement somewhere, I’m pretty sure.

REPORT ABUSE

Jimi

At the top of every forum post there is a blue star that says “Add this topic to your favorites”. If you click that then when you go to your profile you can see all the forum posts you have favorited. That’s a good way to keep track of your favorite forums!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I still wish there was a “new posts since last visit” choice, or “unanswered posts” option….

I guess it matters more in a very active forum with over 5,000 members and tens of thousands of posts……………

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

I’m with billd on this one. In particular as well – it would be great to see:

– number of messages in each area/forum

– time, date, subject and user info for the last message posted

Which is pretty much the same sort of info you see on the TPMG site that no_dopamine mentioned. (and which I’ve seen in many other forums as well). That info gives you a better idea of the weight assigned to various topics – and in particular what’s “hot” at the moment.

The right column listing of subjects last posted is good, but of course it can scroll by pretty quickly any time a new user comes in and goes exploring and replying to a bunch of them. so you end up not knowing what’s current and more importantly – if you can’t recall the exact subject line of a subject that you wanted to follow (or forgot to “star”) you’re in for a bit of time trying to go on a hunt.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I want to weigh in on this one. I think we want to keep the site fresh, less redundant (not talking about the same things over and over again), able to archive things better and try to get people to the information faster. Maybe we need to have a balance where we have an open site for some things and a separate section for people to get specific information. Keep the suggestions coming. We take them all very seriously. After all, if it is not relevant to you, then what’s the point!

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Dr. J: If you can figure out a way to get ADDers to comb through extensive archives to find topics that interest them—rather than just start a new, albeit redundant, thread—then you will deserve an award for distinguished service to The Cause!

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I know this isn’t a related forum that I run – and many of these features wouldn’t do well here, but if anyone wants examples to refer to

http://theamcforum.com/forum

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I realize this is an older thread, but this topic has definitely been a problem for me. So why start yet another thread in such a huge difficult to not get lost in web site?. Especially the last couple days, I’ve been searching without success to find a thread I wanted to post on. I wrote a reply to it in a word processor and when I copy’d n wanted to paste it to the thread, it didn’t work. Tried again, didn’t work. I had left the computer on at that thread the day before because I, well… I’m impulsive! and just rolled away to do the other thing whatever it was lol. It was the next day before I got back to the computer.

I’ve been pondering a lot on how to find older threads I’ve read but forgot to click favorites on, posted on, etc., or saved in any other way. It dawned on me while watching a great movie a few minutes ago.

Anyway, I use Safari, the mac browser. You can get it for windows. It has an excellent history I can use to backtrack and to find a topic that I lost here. All browsers have a history you can search back through, I’ve used a bunch, but I like Safari best for now. Fortunately today I recognised the title of the thread and was able to post the reply I worked over an hour on.

Navigating this or any other site like this is an excellent way to improve our memory. It is possible to improve our memory. Read about Neuroplasticity, that’s an important part of my own recovery from life in general.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Google – use it to search this site only.

sleep site:totallyadd.com

for example, will get you anything on THIS SITE ONLY containing the word sleep.

If you want to focus on sleep disorders, you would type:

“sleep disorder” site:totallyadd.com

I use IE and Chrome, I used to use Opera and Firefox but they got so bloated, and FireFox is constantly having security issues – and patches constantly. IE is much better than it used to be, but is now better than Firefox , and Opera just is too weird lately. Chrome started out as a security disaster, but is really clean and fast lately.

I concentrate my thinking on browser security over other things because, well, frankly, that’s what I do……….. and it’s the number one way malware gets to a computer today.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Great info billd, thanks.

“Name of thing I’m searching for” site:totallyadd.com

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Right on!, it worked first try!. Ack!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)