Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What's your superpower? The Sequel

What's your superpower? The Sequel2014-08-07T19:14:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I'm Excited/Relieved What's your superpower? The Sequel

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

Hello all.  I’ve posted this before. It’s so good and must be done again.

We often focus on the negative aspects of our disability,  all the complaining, “my life stinks”, Blah Blah Blah.  But, we forget that we have abilities can be considered superhuman. As it were, your superpowers. Yes, we can do amazing things in terms of “The XMEN” (movie and comic book).

Remember, DON’T use this to complain!   Lets BRAG about those Superhuman powers we possess. Really think about it, there are there, if you just look hard enough. Remember, Einstein was one of us.  😉

PS, there should a video about how to find your superpowers.

I’ll start with my own superpowers:

Mechanical Genus:   Any machine I can figure out, given time.  Logic and reasoning, won’t break a sweat.

Hyper-Reflexes:  WOW! Just call me “The Flash”, when navigating a large crowd.  The ass I can kick playing video games.

Hyper-Awareness of the environment:   With my car, one accident in nine years.  Impossible to get within 100 feet of me from any direction without knowing.

Hyper-Visual Learning:  Me, getting lost?  Never gonna happen.  Learning physics via “Through the Wormhole” on science channel DVD. Committed to memory after five times. If it’s visual, i’ll get the information at super-sonic speed and burned into memory.

Hyper-Brain-Networking:  Putting many complex concepts together into unexpected new ways, breaking new ground in physics and other fields. Seeing the universe in a unique way.

What are your superpowers?    Be Wild E. Coyote, brag your a “Super-Genius”.   🙂

Filmbuff1984

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

What am I good at? I’m not use to thinking about that much., GO FIGURE. I usually think in terms of what I can make it through. Like ,”Thank goodness that project, party, game, job is over with.”. 🙂

Let me think on this for a bit, and I’ll come back and post…I hope. Maybe in the morning when I’m fresh.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I can’t not solve a problem. If it is interesting to me, and presented in the right way, I will not stop thinking about it, and working through it, until I have a solution.

This problem could be anything, from any subject matter. Remember a show called “The Finder”? I am like that, except with problems.  I once came close to not being able to solve one that was REALLY interesting. I stormed around the house, arranging models, and rearranging them, until it clicked. It was not a pretty sight.

REPORT ABUSE

seabassd

Thought of one…

Resilience Although it’s true that I may have made quite a few missteps in my life, despite this I have always found a way to keep at it, to get back up and try again.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

Missing the point!  :p   Geez, this is not time to be humble. See the amazing things we can do. Let’s hear lots of event details. Single-minded persistence is positive thing. There are there, just look for them. Read the previous post. Here’s another one of my superpowers.

Master storyteller:   Stories are effortless. The characters speak to me, who they are, what they like, what drives them. I’m watching the film play in my head and just write it down.

REPORT ABUSE

spngbob

i can motivate and persuade like no other in the heat of the moment

i am very discerning, don’t even think of tryin to pull one over on me

my intuition is ridiculously keen and i heed it

my brain can make lightening fast connections, sometimes they have people rolling on the floor and sometimes the connection is so quick they are lost.  but i know.

people, all people, even people i have never met are drawn to me and talk to me and tell me things that are important to them.

i understand the value of solitude and i am never lonely.

when everyone around me is losing their sh*t, i am calm and in control

this isn’t a super power but people ask me kinda deep spiritual questions.  i have no answers but wonder if that is an adhd thing.

i don’t judge. empathy is strong in me.

REPORT ABUSE

e123tu

These superpowers are go0d ones.

I can envision things that don’t yet exist, like the style of a documentary, or a piece of jewelry I want to make.

Because I’m a natural hunter, I orient myself by visual landmarks. So, I’m rarely lost — but only in the daytime!

I’m a great world traveler, who does not freak out in new situations because I love the visual and sensory hyper-stimulation. I take better photos when I travel, as the freshness is exciting to me. I’m also really talented at understanding mixed-up English.

REPORT ABUSE

spngbob

You sound like my son!!

REPORT ABUSE

e123tu

Spngbob, that’s good, I hope!

REPORT ABUSE

phoenixmagicgirl

I’m really good at genuinel showing care and empathy for my friends & family.

I’m really good at genuinely showing care and empathy for my family & friends.

I kick ass at being creative, visually in my mind..you give me the smallest detail & I’ll think of elaborate ways to use it in whatever situation my mind creates. Being a visual learner rocks!!

I’m determined come hell or high water not to give up on something, whatever that may be (martial arts training, school etc). This has motivated me many times in the past to keep going and not give up!

I’m good at thinking outside the box and coming up with ideas no one has thought of.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

Well, I’m tempted to say my super power is sitting on the couch staring at the tree outside the living room window for ridiculously long periods of time…..

But I actually did think of one super power while reading some of the others: Human lie detector. I just know when something is off with what I’m hearing. I may not always be able to put my finger in it right away, but I know. Even when there is no obvious sign. It’s partly things like tone of voice and facial expression, but more importantly I think it’s the way things are worded. But sometimes it’s just a feeling.

This also makes me an excellent judge of character. Every time I was introduced to a new employee at work, I would know instantly if they were going to last or not, if they were trustworthy, reliable etc. And I was never wrong. If I wrote them off, they would be gone within a few weeks. If I got the “danger Will Robinson” signal, they would turn out to be a lying, backstabbing so-and-so. Unfortunately, those ones usually last the longest. But they eventually get caught lying and/or stealing.

It gets very frustrating sometimes when I see through the sweet sugar coating to the rotten core beneath, but no one else does and they all think the person is just wonderful. That frustration is my kryptonite. I know I’m  switching universes there, but I can’t think of an X-Men analogy.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Blackdog, have you ever thought of working for Canadian Border Services?

Seriously, it can be a perfect fit for that superpower you describe.

REPORT ABUSE

READPHX

I was an undiagnosed dyslexic for most of my youth, could barely read or write until computers and word processing software became available the masses. I was diagnosed with ADD 16 years ago, I was 38, married with 4 young children. I’ve been writing for the last 12 years. Writing has become my therapy, my escape, my gift, and my vehicle to enlighten others as to how an ADD mind processes information. If you have ADD, you identify with all or part of the poem I’ve penned below.

ADD is a part of you, embrace it, figure out how to use it to your advantage and let others you have ADD.

An ADD Mind..

Thoughts run through my mind at a furious pace, yet sometimes so focused..I lose track of time and space.

I’ve finished sentences for some who can’t keep pace, I live most of my days as if in a foot race.

I’ve dealt with anxiety which is hard to erase, yet in the eye of the storm… there’s no fear in my face..

I’ve driven by my destination at times having to retrace, yet can adjust to road blocks…no longer displaced…

Daily multitasking I’m at my best, managing the bubble most are quite impressed.

I can adapt myself from simple to chic, converse with those from the powerful to the meek..

I’ve come to points of perfect clarity, solved problems after great disparity, had visions beyond reality, yet can lose my mind over simple formality.

My vision of the world is quite unique, it allows me to see what others still seek.

My creativity reaches higher than the highest peak, solving problems others consider bleak.

There are many of us who share the same, some go onto fortune and fame.

If the words I’ve penned strike you as true, know your gift is unique…. and part of you.

T.READ

REPORT ABUSE

greentree
    Participant

Supper power well I thought it more of a wierd gift of burden but yes supper power is more positive.once again blck dog we have the same story. Lovely to experience another who is much more like another me in some ways rather than similar. Since I was 16 I would have people of all ages telling me their wows and very personal information without me asking. With no deliberaty,in my mind in seeking information. is this a word?, From bus stops, shop customers, shop owners, social events and work environments, colleges an clients.during their conversation they will say. I dont know why im telling you this I normally wouldnt disclose, ending with big thankyous for my listening. Im often told i should be a councilor.My experiences are from younge to old of many different demographs.in my chosen proffesion it has been benificial and the last teacher I worked with I told her of the oddity. She experienced it first hand a number of times and was quite taken back as to how it happens. My mother told me it was her lot in life and its something you have in you that others see. You will have it all your life so you need to learn to cope with it. My daughter has this too and it started for her at a younge age with friends and stangers.i told her the same as my mother did me, explaining its a privalige and information should stay with you and not passed on or youll create problems foryourself. So I listen and I clarify what they have said and boost their short comings eg confidence and worth. I leave greatfull for what I have and happy to have helped someone along the way. I feel people and know them without words. I can judge a charecture visualy without verbally conecting. I am never wronge. In a matter of secons to minutes I know if you are good or bad or evil. Within these categories are degrees which I feel on an emotional level.weird I know. The stronger it feels the scarier it is for me. I know I have felt very evil scarry people who have done terrible things this really upsets me.  mostly men some women. These ones Are mostly people I encounter on the street. I remember two men which I felt the need to confront head on with eye contact not backing down from gaze untill he did. One left the beach after 10 min of constant gaze from app 10 mtr away during my daughters nippers morn. The other moved on while I was in a public place where many gathered thats all I can remember of that one. I can be in a physical proxcimity and feel happiness saddness or evil in degrees . This is un nerving thing not that this happens often . On going around oz with hubby some year ago we visited many places an I had it a lot then.old buildings graves prisons war sights. Some times I had to leave as the evil which is very stronge gets intense.  No I am not religious nor crazy. Bloked it out as a young 20 yr only in my 40 s aloud it back in as was too much to cope with. Now in my 50s can accept its part of me. I have been told by some I have met I have a strong heeling precence. I do not go in for readings and such having strong beliefs in the sciences and facts. These are my true facts. Take it or leave it.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

I think a lot of us have a depth of intuition that isn’t necessarily as prevalent amongst the linears.

I am not sure why – it might be linked to our sensitivity or maybe we are more observant than linear thinkers. I know that in meetings I do more people watching than I do listening to the drivvel on the agenda.

I have noticed that my boss often specifically asks my views about candidates for jobs – he acknowledges my ‘gut reaction’ to people which is interesting.

I can’t say I have felt evil particularly, but I know in seconds whether someone is nice, creepy, has a metaphorical knife that will be lodged in someone’s back, etc. (At least I think I do – guess it’s just my perception, but that’s another argument.) But then again I have an exceedingly linear colleague who is equally intuitive about people. Maybe it’s a male/female thing too to some extent? So I have noticed when candidates for jobs are interviewed at work, the men tend to look at the person’s CV and abilities but the women also look at how that person will fit into the team from a personality point of view too. No point in having an excellent person job wise if they are likely to cause disharmony and spoil the productivity of everyone else.

Either way, I do think the emotional sensitivity of ADHDers is real. Whether that emotional sensitivity is a positive thing or a cross to bear depends on the situation I suppose. If it’s intuition then it’s positive. Being the kind of person that folk gravitate towards with their problems can be rewarding if we can help, but we also have to be careful that we don’t get emotionally overloaded.

OK – before Filmbuff chastises me for missing the point I’ll list some positive personality traits (I can’t call them superpowers no matter how I try – but actually I do see the point in trying to be positive about ourselves. It is easy to be dragged down by the frustrations of ADHD and we need to try to lift our self-esteem and be proud of who we are):

Can empathise, caring, loyal, will go the extra mile when needed, can appreciate beauty whether that’s nature, art, music etc., will stubbornly keep at something until it is done, good sense of humour.

That was hard to do……maybe self-deprecating should be there too…..and judging from the number of times I have edited the typos in this I should add perfectionism as well! 🙂

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)