Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

"You'll get to used the noise.", NO!

"You'll get to used the noise.", NO!2013-04-02T01:32:39+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? "You'll get to used the noise.", NO!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Shadow Nexus

————————————————————-

DON’T post if you don’t have a problem with it!

————————————————————-

I get this phrase a lot. They say, “You’ll get to used the noise.” and “Why are you making a big deal out of it?”. They just don’t get it.

Well, it’s the opposite effect, meds or not. Noise pollution quickly become more annoying over time. Soon, it’s turns into Chinese water torture.  Also, it’s cumulative, lots of short term exposure. Over a few days, I literally become a shaking nervous wreck. Then I need days of very quiet to dead silence, to recover from all the noise pollution.

I like to here from others who have the same problem.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@Filmbuff1984, it sounds like you’re one of the many (but not all) ADD’ers who are also Highly-Sensitive People (HSP).

We feel (both physically & emotionally), taste, hear, see, and experience things so much more intensely—viscerally—than people who aren’t Highly-Sensitive.

It’s only very recently that I’ve become aware that this is a legitimate medical condition, which I have.  I just thought that being a super-finicky eater, having to cut the labels out of clothes as soon as I got them, and not being able to stand heavy throbbing bass noises or the high volume/bright lights/fast movement & cutting of today’s movies & TV shows, were all part of having ADHD.

However, many ADD’ers don’t have these symptoms, and thrive on the excitement of intense sensory experiences.  But for those of us who are HSPs, it makes life even more challenging.

Dr. Elaine N. Aron has studied HSP (http://www.hsperson.com) for many years, and has written some excellent books about it.  This one is pretty much the “bible” on the subject:  http://www.amazon.com/Highly-Sensitive-Person-Elaine-Ph-D/dp/0553062182/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364911719&sr=8-1&keywords=highly+sensitive+person.  I’m reading it now.

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

@Filmbuff1984 and Larynxa

For me, I get to the point where I wear those ear plugs shooters wear to protect their hearing. Most sounds drive me crazy. People chewing, background of people talking, Crowds walking, and then you have buses, cars, and a myriad of other sounds that all add up to a cacophony of noise that all demands my attention.

Textures bother me as well. I have no clothes with labels left in them either. They bother. Most fabrics are banned from the house because they feel wrong to me. Cotton and some wool blends are the only thing I can wear. I am a woodworker, and people are always amazed how smooth the finish is. If they only knew how wrong rough spots feel to me, they would know why my pieces are the way they are. I used to bite my nails down to nubs, because the roughness bothered, and I couldn’t get them smooth enough any other way.

Tastes and smells are another biggie with me. There are foods that I won’t go near, because they taste or smell wrong. What is strange, is most people I talk to, can’t taste or smell the things I can on these foods.I like some foods with intense flavors and others with subtle blends of flavors.

There are sounds, textures, odors, and tastes that I really like, and I try to surround myself with them. Vanilla. That and ground coffee are my favorite smells, right now. When I want to zone, Vivaldi, Vanilla, and Cafe Viennese. My 3 “V’s”.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

When I was still just an usher at the theatre, there was one show that came in for a month, and the “music” they played in-house before the show and during intermission was throbbing, repetitive machine-sounds which got progressively louder.

During my first shift working this show, I was in agony, and it took every ounce of self-control to avoid screaming and running out of there.  Fortunately, I knew that when I explained the situation to my managers, they would accommodate my request to only be scheduled for lobby-shifts.

One night, just before the show started, a man in the audience suddenly stood up, blew a gasket about that throbbing machine-sound that had been inflicted on the audience for the past 20 minutes, and stormed out, saying he couldn’t take it any more.

When he reached the lobby, he expressed this to the manager and to us, and we all empathised.   I still can’t believe he was the only audience member to crack like that, under the onslaught of that horrible noise.

REPORT ABUSE

NightShade

Since I help run a Support Group for people with Many different “Invisible Illnesses”
    I am aVERY Aware of this HSP> and I also know that many ppl with other co-morbids
    also suffer from this.. Such as 14 million with ME/CFS and Lyme, etc..
    So it’s NOT ONLY an ADD thing !!!

However, also many only suffer from certain aspects of it..
    It seems to be very individualied  for each person…
    I know many that live in dark room with ear-plugs and it’s HELL !!
    Others I know can NOT tolerate the Light, but can tolerate the sound..
    I know some that have totally Opposite reactions to meds
    and others that are Very sensitive to smells
    and many of those even fall into the MCS Group (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)
    cuz it causes other  health problems for them also…

It’s very interesting and as I say. We are Each Very “Uneeq”
    Short answer @Filmbuff1984 YES, it’s very REAL and

each person needs to find what tools/tricks can Help them..
    It also let’s anyone with this.. Have some Compassion also

for Older folks that get Hearing Aids and also GO CRAZY
    with ALL of the Background noise, and instead of getting a
    different hearing aid, since they also can’t stand it..
    they STOP wearing their hearing aids which Isolates them even More.. NO GOOD>

Education and Compassion are KEY for ALL of us..
    Just Because it’s something you Can’t SEE doesn’t make it NOT Exist !!

Oh, I know of some folks with the sound issue that have bought those
    “Noise-Canceling Headphones” …many use them on airline flights..
    I’ve seen Many commercials for them….
    Of course I would NOT wear them while driving, etc….
    But at least you can KNOW you can get some Relief in certain situations..
    As Long as you Tell yourself  NOT to get Scared/Shocked when someone taps you
    on your shoulder to get your attention… (figure out a solution for that )
    Train ppl maybe to place a note in your filed of vision FIRST saying Hello ? for example ?

http://noise-cancelling-headphones-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Hope that helps some… BUT Please know to MUTE that page FIRST !!
    There is a HUGE thingy “ON the page” to do it , OK ?
    Unless you Choose to Listen to it, maybe Turn the volume down 😀

♥Hugs♥
    “We get by with a Little Help from our Friends”

REPORT ABUSE

Blue Yugo

@Filmbuff1984 – I know that feeling!  People often tell me things like “Just ignore it.”  Well, if I could, I would!  I can’t…literally can’t!  Noises hijack my brain sometimes.  Snoring is the worst offender…and sometimes comes in the form of the person in the adjacent room at a hotel.  Worse…the person in the adjoining bed, which is why I can’t vacation with my sister any more.  Even just breathing in an otherwise quiet room annoys me.  Hammering…  Fingers clicking the buttons of a cell phone…  Kids mumbling to themselves…  The barely-audible scritching of someone’s earbuds…  It’s all maddening because I can’t choose to not listen to it and have my brain affix itself to the noise.  I used to go to group meditations, and I can’t any more.  This one’s sneaking a text message…that one’s breathing too loud…the one over there is scribbling thoughts down on paper while the rest of us are trying to have absolute silence and stillness.

In fact, this was a main point I wanted to bring up with my therapist and perhaps explore if medication can prevent my brain from attaching to those subtle annoying sounds.  Sadly, she’s spent the past 2 sessions psycho-analyzing my relations to my parents and sister, then my homework for tomorrow is to write down strategies I used as a kid to deal with the bullies who harrassed me in school.  What does any of that have to do with the fact that distractions and unregulated attention spans are hijacking my brain and making it hard to function currently in the workplace?  This includes the extremely maddening sounds like people tapping pens on desks, having iPods turned too loud, etc.  Asking me how I dealt with the fights between my dad and my sister has nothing to do with my ADD nor my problems with those pesky noises that prevent me from thinking what I’m supposed to be thinking.

– littleblueyugo

REPORT ABUSE

NightShade

Have either of you ever tried any L-Theanine to see if that helps with the anxiety and stress that the sound s/noises cause you ? It’s “over the counter” and is very calming for many, even for me , and many things work oppositely for me… Like Valium makes me Hyper.. LOL
    Just thought I would toss out the idea to see if any of you have ever tired it … ?
    I find the less stressed I am the more I can tolerate things… other times I am at the breaking point.
    From Wikipedia:

*Cheers* y’all…..
    Effects on the brain
    “Able to cross the blood–brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[10] Theanine has been studied for its potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress,[11] improve cognition[12] and boost mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[13][14][15][16][17][18]

While structurally related to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, theanine only has weak affinity for the glutamate receptor on postsynaptic cells.[19] Rather, its primary effect seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA[citation needed]. Theanine also increases brain dopamine levels and has a low affinity for AMPAkainate and NMDA receptors.[20] Its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.[21][5] It has also been found that injecting spontaneously hypertensive mice with theanine significantly lowered levels of 5-hydroxyindoles in the brain.[22] Researchers also speculate it may inhibit glutamic acid excitotoxicity.[20] Theanine also promotes alpha wave production in the brain.[10]

Studies on test rats have shown even repeated, extremely high doses of theanine cause little to no harmful psychological or physical effects.[23] Theanine showed neuroprotective effects in one rat study.[24]

A placebo-controlled trial has shown adding theanine to ongoing antipsychotic medication is helpful in reducing some symptoms of schizophrenia.[7]

Several beverage manufacturers are selling drinks containing theanine and are marketing them as drinks to help people focus and concentrate,[8] while other manufacturers claim relaxing and tranquillizing properties.[7]

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

and many things work oppositely for me… Like Valium makes me Hyper.. LOL

@NightShade, the one and only time my oral surgeon gave me laughing gas, I panicked and tried to fling myself out of the chair and onto the floor, to make the room stop spinning.

So much for THAT idea!

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

@Filmbuff1984, I feel ya! Once I had to leave a store to throw up because there was something wrong with the air conditioning in the building and it was creating a horrible high-pitched resonance. No one else seemed to care about the noise and vibration!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I also seem to have the aural equivalent of “magpie eyes”, when it comes to zeroing in on one particular sound, or word, or mannerism.

There were a couple of professors I had at university, who had certain mannerisms or filler-words that they used over & over, and it drove me crazy!  So I either cut a lot of their classes, or dropped the courses completely, because I just couldn’t stand to be in there.

And I had to give up on watching “Dancing With the Stars”, for several reasons, but the maine one was that Brooke says “guys” or “you guys” multiple times and “How does that feel?”, every time she interviews one of the teams.  If you built a drinking game around it, you’d be comatose within the first half-hour.

So, sparkly costumes or not, I just can’t watch it!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

but the maine one

I meant, of course, “MAIN one”.  (That silent-e can be mighty sneaky, sometimes.)

REPORT ABUSE

billys1

noise?  what noise?  I can’t hear anything, its to loud!!!!!

seriously, willi I ever get used to it?  really comfortably used to it?

REPORT ABUSE

adhdwife1

sudden, loud noises are the worst for me. I can’t even explain the terror/panic/shock/rage it sends me into. And yes rage is a part of it, it makes me ANGRY. Things like when my dog starts barking, a train whistle or a loud jet overhead, or even people just talking loud.

Don’t know if I can even have a baby because listening to a baby screaching???????? What a nightmare! Knowing me I’d end up in jail for the rest of my life for shaken baby syndrome.

I have some friends on various adhd meds that say when they’re on them, the whole world is quieter. Well, that’s not my experience so far!

The rest of the world is at a 9 and they need to bring it down to a 2 or 3. Inside voices please.

REPORT ABUSE

adhdwife1

Ok I accidentally double posted and don’t know how to just delete the duplicate. Sorry!

REPORT ABUSE

NightShade

@adhdwife1   Yes, I understand about the “sudden, loud noises”…
    I think for me maybe I was sensitive all of my life but it has somehow escalated as time progressed.
    I remember especially after CNN first started and we were all able to watch the 1st war on TV…
    ( Gulf War )
    After hearing all of that bombing… I remember going to our next July 4th fireworks and it was almost as if I had suffered what the soldiers must have that were actually there hearing the bombs LIVE. I mean it gave me my 1st inkling of what PTSD must feel like. or “shell-shocked” or whatever name from what ever war you want to call it… When the fireworks went off…. I felt it inside
    suddenly like I was “back at the war” , of course where I had actually never been, …  for me ever since then it has gotten worse… But I tell ya, it really made me empathize with the Vets also..

@Larynxa why don’t you just “mute” the TV and watch the dancing ? 😀
    The “mute” button is my FAV and the letters on every  remote ALWAYS wear off First ~ LOL

Silence is Golden at times ♥

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)