Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Zoning Out

Zoning Out2009-11-30T22:27:17+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Is It Just Me? Zoning Out

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

devadmin
    Participant

For me, the most extreme is zoning out during sex. I was even distracted at my wedding. Both weddings actually. Though for the first one I had no idea I was ADHD and wasn’t on medication. The second one I was.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can totally relate!!! And my friends talking about their jobs; I dont know where or what they work with…. TotallyADD:-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yup, me too. All of the above.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it just me??

I hate it when people are talking to me and all I can think about is that one long nose hair they have that keeps flapping in the breeze..

TMI?

😮

REPORT ABUSE

Walter Mitty

All job interviews.

I was on the witness stand this one time and some guy representing himself asked me a question. The assistant DA objected and I thought ” Wow this is just like those court TV shows wear things get exiting”. My day dream was interrupted by the Judge telling me to answer the question, to which I replied “Ummmmmm…… What was the question?”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Us ADD Guys are screwed when it comes to Women… First we’re ADD… we zone out, misinterpret and have a hard time getting the garbage out without stopping along the way to get something out of the car we forgot about the night before. On top of that is our “Selective hearing”. A proven trait from our evolutionary past (http://www.medindia.net/news/Brain-Filters-Out-Noise-for-Selective-Hearing-66444-1.htm) that in double our chances of getting in trouble lol

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, ShaneG, I’ve had all the same complaints about ME!

I’m not good with dates..anniversaries, holidays are in the fuzzy section of my brain…had my own birthday wrong a couple of years!

The usual complaint by my male partners is that I’m ‘Too much like a guy’…whatever that means!

Now, I definitely do not look like a guy and am not butch, so what the heck does that MEAN??

Scratching oneself? Making rude noises (in public)? Swearing? Walking bowlegged?

I don’t do any of that!

Is ADHD a ‘guy thing’ ?????????????

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

Speaking about zoning out regarding sex. Does anyone zone out or get stuck on fantasizing – sometimes compulsively – about acquaintances? Subconsciously having obsessive thoughts – probably to stimulate and satiate the ADD craving for stimulation?

ADDers are always looking for ways to self medicate and self stimulate the brain – anyone get stuck in this kind of thinking? Or is it just being a redblooded normal guy?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m right there you in every area except sex. For some reason that’s one are i don’t zone out during.

this morning I was chatting with my mom. We were discussing her diagnosis with cancer and how the chemo

wasn’t working………………And then I sow somethinf move out of the corner of my eye………..I was home alone so

what could it be……..I walked over to see what it was and found a butterfly on the window……………….Wow! Never saw one like that before……………..I need to photograph it……………………..where is my camera…………………..in hthe kitchen……………….got it……………….

Damn! It’s gone……………….put the camera away in the kitchen……………………i’m kinda hungry…………….Honey made that great chili the other day…………………..sounds good………….dish some up and put in the microwave………………….grab a drink…………..sit down at the table and start eating…………………….good stuff………………………………………………………………….Shit, My mom is still online!!!!! Run into the office and she was still typing away asking me what I think.

NOW, If you can zone out while discussing a life or death issue with you mom, Raise your hand…………………………………………………..

……………………………………..I didn’t think so.

If I have something to do at a certain time, I actually set my alarm on my blackberry. Even if I am coooking and have to leave the room. the alarm is set.

It is just those spontaneous situation that i really get lost in

I’m working on it, but other that setting my alarm or my wife and kids watching over me, I have not a clue what to do either..

Hell, i get distracted reading the comments on this forum.

I wish you all more luck than what I am having.

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

Hey Tym. I don’t know whether to be horrified or laugh at your example. *grin* I constantly zone out like this all the time (as I suspect most here do). My daughter calls me on it every time, which helps. She can tell, even when on the phone, when I’ve gone into a different place. Bless her heart.

Of course, my job is virtual, and so all of my team mates are only accessible via phone. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve embarrassed myself by not paying strict attention. And I *really* hate it when my boss says “wolf? What do you think?”

It’s like a sit-com. Swear to God.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is funny, Wolf. My youngest daughter was my link with reality before she left for college. She would say things like, “Welcome back to planet Earth.” or “The land of the living awaits you.”. But if someone other than family was around she be covert about it and put her hand on my shoulder to bring me back to the conversation. She is very good and very helpful like that.

My wife and other daughters treated it like a game. They would realize that I was gone from the conversation and they would just throw in at the end of a sentence, “So I killed it…………………….Two times………………………….but it deserved it.” At least we can have fun with it.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDfiremedic

I am glad to see I am not the only one who constantly zones out while in a conversation. I have always had to ask what someone has just said, especially when it comes to talking with my wife or my kids. I will be in a conversation with someone, and suddenly realize I was thinking about something else and have no idea what they are talking about. Luckily my job is fairly stimulating so it isn’t usually an issue there, but I do have to concentrate quite a bit so I don’t miss anything. it is a lot more difficult to concentrate and listen when I am on my own time, especially at home or in social situations.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll stare blankly at someone – really TRYING to focus on what they’re saying – and all that I can hear in my head is Homer Simpson’s little organ grinder monkey with the cymbals…and of course the nagging thought that what this person is saying is important and that I’ll be expected to remember all the little details that I’m not paying attention to.

REPORT ABUSE

curlysue

Blanking can be really unfun. i tend to blank during repetitive tasks and conversations. so i have to sing along to the radio and cds on my commute because driving is one repetitive task that i don’t think is a good time to blank. with conversations its because i don’t pick up simple information that you should remember about a conversation. i’m trying to focus on someone telling me a story that is important to them and i will be expected to respond to it but it takes effort to focus on what is being said.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was called to jury duty and while listening to the judge give his customary introduction to potential jurists I found my attention “drifting” so I did what I usually do, a trick I learned to help me focus on a speakers message, I began sketching in my sketchbook. I was then able to follow and process what the judge was saying. This lasted only a minute or two before the bailiff signaled me to stop. I stopped sketching and tried to concentrate on what the judge was saying but it was no use. I heard every word he said but they were just a string of words. I was completely lost as to the content of what he was saying.

A couple of months later someone told me about the local Art college and that the art instructors there would forewarn the other teachers that some of their art students would be able to focus better in their other classes if they were allowed to sketch while listening to lectures. Sounds like they were recognizing a trait in some of their students, even if they weren’t aware that the students, most likely, were ADD.

I hope the above story wasn’t too sketchy. ;)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)