Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

1st dose of Ritalin taken about an hour and a half ago

1st dose of Ritalin taken about an hour and a half ago2011-02-24T14:57:45+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Ritalin 1st dose of Ritalin taken about an hour and a half ago

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I upped my dose of melatonin from 3 mg to 9 last night and had a better sleep. Also, having gotten some stuff done yesterday may have helped…..but holy crap, the mountain of tasks looms over my head like the tower of mordor….scary. ONe step at a time.

Yes, 4 dogs and a cat in bed with us last night. My daughter and son’s dogs are here with our own two. One of our 3 cats craves my attention in the night…jumps over my head, onto my chest/side….have started locking her out but she got in this morning, when I let my dogs out to pee at 7, but I was able to drift to sleep on and off a few times, while my cat practised acrobatics in a bed full of dogs : D

I’m feeling better.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Aspie nephew takes melatonin. Does it really work? I kind of think of it like I do all homeopathic remedies–that their power to heal is more dependent on the attitude of the person taking it than on actual medicinal attributes. I tried St. John’s Wort once and it made feel extremely anxious, so I’m hesitant to take anything not prescribed to me by my MD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, been using melatonin past year, usually 3 mg. It just helps make me sleepy in 30-40 minutes. Just an aid to fall asleep, wont keep you there. Read up on it. Seems very safe. Off to bed. Later.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just took an ativan. The doc said it was okay. Good night.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, just upped my dose to 15 mg X 3 doses per day. Started on the weekend. Really hard to tell if I notice a difference yet. This is my 3rd day on the dosage and I actually am feeling tired about 1 1/2 hours earlier than usual. Might be a coincidence…don’t know. Anyone else on a similar dose? What works for others?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You could just be suffering from the effects of the time change.

I’ve just started on 18mg of Concerta, so it’s a little early to know how it’s going to work out.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, Brentitude, you’re right….it has been a sleepy kind of week with the time change. I’m certain though that the meds are feeling different. Must be adjusting. I’m looking at concerta later on….keep me posted how it goes.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow. That’s all I can say. The power of my brain is now scary.

This afternoon at work, I had to call someone for an explanation of the details of an insurance contract that I was having trouble understanding (because it was a little convoluted). As he was explaining it to me, I was actually listening and not thinking about what I was going to say next, what I was going to do next, about the fact that I had no clue what he was talking about, or how I was going to end the conversation.

Well, this time I actually understood what he was telling me, and when I hung up the phone, I was able to write it all in my report to the client and it made sense and I didn’t feel any trepidation that someone might read it and ask me questions that I wouldn’t be able to answer because I didn’t really know what I was talking about.

I have also noticed that I am better able to follow what I myself am saying. I used to kind of hear myself as this disembodied voice that I didn’t have complete control over. You know that old saying, “put brain in gear before running mouth”? Well, I think that was written just for me. Lately though, I know what I’m saying and I’m not having as many “what was I talking about?” moments. It’s great – I’m over the moon happy!

I hope things work out for you too.

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Brentitude, First time posting here. So glad I found this site. I’m going to see my doctor this week about going on meds. Your story sounds similar to mine (symptom-wise) and everyone here is giving me courage to finally do something about my inability to focus. Songs in head, typing sentences in my head, thoughts flitting around like a moth. I’ve never been able to finish college but have done my best to educate myself within the confines of my disability. So I know I’m not dumb or lazy, just eternally unfocused! I want so badly to be able to stop spinning my wheels and actually put my self in Drive and get things done. I’m 50 this year and a single parent and I desperately want to set a better example for my child. Please continue updating us on how you’re doing and how the Concerta is working out for you. Is it better for you than the Ritalin? Thanks so much.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Brentitude

The part where you’re talking about not listening but thinking instead of what you’re going to say next, the impulsive speaking that happens afterwards and finally the “why did i say that moment” is sooo me before taking the meds….

The whole experience of coming here to read about different people’s experience makes you realize how similarly the adhd brain functions.

I mean, I’m sure that our lives are very different but at the same time i’m sure we’ve been through so many frustrations which are the same!

Its a blessing to come hear and read what you guys have to say…been there, done that…it feels good to meet people that have been there as well!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Lindstr7

The Concerta is working well, and I’m taking a 10mg Ritalin after 5-6 hours of taking the Concerta. I might ask my doctor if I can take a higher dose of Concerta, because, while it is working well, it’s not 100% as effective as the plain old Ritalin was.

It’s kind of like using a +1.50 reading lens or a +1.75; not much difference, but enough to be bothersome when reading fine print–or doing certain tasks, like reading boring insurance stuff. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I’m finding that my head feels a little fuzzy in the evenings, but not to the point of impairment. I should be going to bed early anyway (oops! too late).

I hope that you everything works out for you–if you get the right meds, you will think you’ve had a brain transplant. :)

@John

I’m happy to have met all of you also. This feels like a secret clubhouse where all the members know exactly what I mean when I talk about how I feel. I feel very thankful for this place, and for all of you.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Bren, how much does the 18mg of Concerta cost you? Were you taking 10mg of Ritalin before?

I really want to start on Concerta, now I take Ritalin SR in the AM along with 5mg of Ritalin, then another 5mg Ritalin after 5 hours, then another 15mg Ritalin to help me end the day. My doctor is hesitant to give me Concerta because the Ritalin is working so well and its a lot cheaper. I want the Concerta because I tend to forget when I take my first dose and always take too much and then im a horrible wreck!

According to this site (Who knows the validity) http://www.addadhdblog.com/concerta-getting-the-right-dose/#5163f I should be taking 72mg of Concerta a day which would equal 16mg Ritalin x3/day.

looking at everyone elses doses that seems pretty high!

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Brentitude, Thanks for your reply. I am now on my first few days of Ritalin and WOW WOW. what a difference already. I feel more “normal” than I have all my life. To go from being a comatose, pothead recluse with a messy house, to a focused, happy, sees-light-at-end-of-tunnel, person in a matter of days is nothing short of miraculous. Mind, I did stop smoking a month before getting the meds so that helped too. I’m eating well, walking my dog, focusing on my kid, not self-conscious, going grocery shopping and actually getting healthy foods and making it out of the store with what I went in for.

Only 10 mgs. of Ritalin right now in the am, but already a new person. Do the feelings of togetherness fade after the drug plateaus? Guess what, not worried or obsessing about it like I normally would.

Anywho, can you tell me why you switched to Concerta if the Ritalin was working for you? Were there side effects for you? Or is it a timed release type drug (sorry, should be doing more research). Ritalin seems like the old, unglamorous drug compared to the shiny new adderall xr and concerta, but wonder what the main differences are for you, if any. Well, maybe its hard to know since you’re taking both right now. I Enjoy reading your posts, Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

p.s. Is your cat sticking out its tongue? Funny pic.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Carrie – I pay a $30 co-pay for the Concerta. Thankfully, it’s on my insurance company’s formulary. Before that, I was taking the generic Ritalin (10mg) so it was like a $5 co-pay.

@Lindstr7 – I switched because my doc suggested it when I told him that it was hard for me to time my doses right so that I wasn’t falling asleep at the end of the day.

I tried a little experiment today because the last two days on Concerta have been a little rough. I’m still not 100% sure that I didn’t have a bug of some sort, but I didn’t feel right. I had palpitations, I was cold and having chills, I was irritable and just wanted to sleep to escape it all (which I eventually did in the form of a 3 hour nap yesterday afternoon). I worked from home both days because I just couldn’t get myself going in the morning.

Today I went into the office, and rather than taking the Concerta and a methylphenidate later, I took three of the latter (10mg) spaced about 3-4 hours apart. It worked well, and no palpitations or irritability or anything. So I think I’m going to see if my doc will let me go back to the Ritalin alone, but taken more frequently.

I also checked my BP because of the way I felt yesterday and it was very normal. My heart rate was high, however, but that could have been caused by anything.

And finally, yes, my cat is sticking out his tongue, but it was just the timing of the shot. He was in mid-lick. :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)