Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

40 years old and seeking medication for the first time

40 years old and seeking medication for the first time2010-12-29T08:12:20+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication 40 years old and seeking medication for the first time

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

i have to admit to being REALLY nervous about this.

it was always obvious that there wasn’t something quite normal with me but, unfortunately, it wasn’t diagnosed until well into my 20’s…during my second attempt at college.

as a child (known by my 4th grade teacher as “daydreamer”) they tested me for a learning disability which was just an IQ test. no problems there. my parents were told they wouldn’t want it to be any higher (whatever that means). obvious conclusion was i was just lazy. i lived with that, disappointed/frustrated parents, pissed off teachers, and really bad grades all the way through my first failed attempt at college (only reason i got in at all was because i was a pretty boy and could sing and they wanted me working for the small college’s PR department).

like i said, i was diagnosed in my 20s while in college a second time, but opted not to be prescribed anything. i was afraid of what i had heard about ritalin and wanted to be able to make it with what God gave me. i managed to stick around and get not just my bachelors, but an MBA with a bit of help (counseling)and determination. it hasn’t been easy since then, though (not that getting those degrees was easy).

i’ve been in and out of jobs and am struggling as a self employed man for a couple years now. i have noticed that things that i had been able to control have been harder to manage and i realize that even at my best i was struggling far more than i needed. i know and admit i need help.

today is a big day for me because i will be visiting with a new doctor and asking for medical treatment. of the ones i have investigated, i believe that strattera might be the best choice mainly because it is a non-stimulant and i seem to have problems with the side effects of most drugs and am worried about the effect it would have on my heart especially (not that it is in bad shape, it is just really sensitive to meds like psuedophedrine). i do pretty well with caffeine, though and drink quite a bit of coffee.

i’m just really anxious and am not sure what to ask for. should i be worried about the stimulant effects of the other big ones?

also, what should i anticipate happening? i just don’t know what kind of changes to feel or expect physiologically or mentally. is it noticeable?

another factor (that the doctor will probably ask about) is that i have dealt with depression in the past quite a bit and although i feel like i have done pretty well over the past few years i’m not sure that i’m completely freed of it.

sorry if i’m rambling or whatever. i just need some input.

thanks in advance.

ray

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

Ray-

The totallyadd.com WEBsite has some great videos about meds and their uses you should dig around for and watch. In addition, the caddra.ca and caddac.ca WEBsites have info about meds and potential side effects.

I have not read about any “irreversible” side effects from any of the front-line ADHD treatment meds in medical literature or studies so the natural assumption is that if any bad side effects creep up, they will disappear when you discontinue the meds. As always, talk to your doctor about this stuff, though, as they are experts.

For some people, being properly medicated has allowed them to literally transform their lives. That is where I am looking to go.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ray,

Myself I was diagnosed at 44 (about three months ago) and I had some apprehensions and reservations about medication only because of many ‘nightmares’ I had both read about and heard of. Even the issues with my own son and the horrific experiences that we encountered.

Despite all that, I found myself struggling at work and seeing a tremendous amount of negativity come my way along with truck loads of administrative discipline that has plagued my career since 2003.

It was only, as I said, about three months ago that I was diagnosed with ADHD and it was only upon my agreement that we commenced medication. This was after starting off with a coach who was assisting me with organizing my work and life in general. My psychiatrist was on the fence about medication given my history on some other drug that drove me to depression and resulted in me seeking to unsuccessfully attempting to take my own life on at least five occasions.

We started with the lowest dosage of Concerta 18 mg and ran a trail for two weeks to see how it would affect me. I didn’t notice much difference but my wife noticed that I wasn’t as ‘scatterd’ as I normal am. This was positive for sure. Upon my return visit we discussed what had happened and we agreed to step up the dosage to 28 mg for two weeks to see how I did with that. Once again, improvements were vast both at work and home and was very apparent to me given that my supervisors had received a number of very positive phone calls, emails and letters of appreciation about me. Since that time, we have increased the dosage to 36 mg for 30 days over the holidays to see how that works out.

To date, everything seems to be going great without any negative side effects aside from my lack of appetite… apparently many folks are jealous of me for losing weight…..LOL

Distract66

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the input so far.

would it be fair to assume that the side effects dissipate at about the same speed as the meds actually are able to take effect? for the ones with a more immediate effect, this would be a bonus, but for those which take time to build up in the system this would not be a great draw.

with the concerta, how long did it take for results to show?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

From my stand point, I don’t have any answers but from my supervisors and my spouse, they seemed to notice the effects within a couple of days.

Distracted66

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

did you “feel” any different? i mean could you tell something was happening?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ray,

Oddly enough, the first day I took the minimum dose, within about 30 mins I noticed something that I shared with others in my support circle that was very strange to me.

It was that if my focus came from the center of my back 360 degrees all around me (and indeed it is typical for me), that I felt the focus begin to narrow slightly. Hard to describe it but I hope that I hit the nail on the head with it.

Since that time, I haven’t really noticed anything like that, most likely because the medication is into my system and is doing what it is supposed to.

What I have noticed is that I have been able to have a pronounced long attention span for doing things that I haven’t had previously. The example is that the stair case walls which needed some serious attention after me destroying it while laying the new flooring sat in a state of disrepair for many months. When my wife asked me to see if I could get it done prior to Christmas. One Friday night after work, I came home and looked at her and said, here we go. Within two days I had the sanding done, priming and the final paint job completed to her utter delight. Something that would have never taken place before got done in literally record time.

This is just one of many examples that I could relay.

Distracted66

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

wow thats kind of weird.

i know my wife is hoping and praying for some positive results like that, though.

i’m probably doing it for her more than myself.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ray,

If you are doing it for her, that is good first step and once you see the results and the difference it will make. I believe that you will soon start doing it for yourself.

I know that my boss (and great friend) suggested that I get tested only so that I might get some answers for myself.

The medication I was skeptical about at first but then decided after a long discussion with the psychiatrist that we’d give a go.

She said we’ll only do two weeks at a time to see what the effects are and make decisions after that.

Now, I am on 36 mg daily and haven’t felt better. Things are coming together like mad.

I am now loving life more and enjoying everything more deeply.

Distracted66

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

well…on my way.

wish me luck.

thanks for letting me know.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ray,

I haven’t a doubt that everything will work out just fine. So long as you and the psychiatrist are completely forward and open about everything and you provide plenty of feedback so that they can make proper judgment calls, it will be perfectly alright.

As well, telling your other half that you are going to move ahead with it and that you need their assistance in watching changes either positive or negative because lets be honest, as ADHDer’s are concerned, we often don’t see things as we should.

With that being told to her, she’ll been on-board, supportive, encouraging, patient and understanding.

All things that we as ADHDer’s need so that we can function.

Distracted66

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. I’m Eddie… with ADD. I just joined this site today 2010-12-29. Never had meds. or treatment. I am 41 and wondering what med. works for anyone/everyone (also, side effects? If any) who cares to reply. Thank you from RunningSnow.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

well…i am now on the strattera starter pack. i took my first dose tonight. i had some weird minor almost room spinning thing for a moment about a half hour after i took it and it’s happened a couple times since then. nothing major and it may be all in my head (one way or another). it’s probably best if i take it in the evening and not too awfully long before bedtime. even though it’s a smallish dosage (20mg, i believe) it may take a bit for me to get used to.

REPORT ABUSE

turbo

Ray-

Did you have the issue when standing up or sitting down suddenly? And are you on the 25mg or 40mg dose to start? I think for adult males the typical starting point is 40mg, but my doc started me at the 25mg level to try and minimize side effects.

Please keep us posted on how everything goes!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just joining today and I, too, am a bit scared and seeking answers and others’ reactions to meds. I’ve been attending a group, but to date (about a year now) have not tried a single med. Like others, I have also struggled with depression as well as anxiety. I have previously tried Lexapro with little to no positive change, but instead headaches. Wish me luck, I see the doc tomorrow morning. So very nervous, but family, friends, coworkers and counselor are all pointing toward trying something to see how meds work for me.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)