Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD friendly jobs

ADD friendly jobs2011-02-11T09:17:29+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers ADD friendly jobs

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author

rebekkajm

Can you guys give me examples of ADD friendly jobs?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi rebekkajm!

I am a successfully self-employed hairstylist! In my 31 years in this business, having ADHD is almost a requirement!

Before hair, I worked in retail. For me, anything where I am on my feet and interacting with people is the best. I need a fast-paced environment.

I have lots of ADHD friends who successfully in occupations such as various trades in construction, music industry, film industry, sales, teaching, almost anything to do with computers, acting, theatre, comedy…

We do very well when we work for ourselves.

The best thing is to figure out what type of environment you work best in, whether a quiet one where you can have peace to think without being bothered by outside stimulus, or like me, where you need to be surrounded by a constant circus.

The most important thing is to be able to function in your environment and then you`ll thrive.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, I have to be on my feet for the better part of my working day…I am unable to sit for long periods of time.

Little things like this can help direct you in your search..

What drives you nuts….

Under what conditions do you work best or are the happiest….

Need to sit to work….

Need to be standing or moving…

Like working with people…

Like being alone…..

Quiet environment or noisy..busy..music…

Fast paced..action

REPORT ABUSE

rebekkajm

ok thanks !

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you do something you love for a living it will be more play then work. I am a U.S. Marine and before I was even diagnosed I decided I was tired of waking up in the morning and not being happy with the idea of work. I then started thinking about hings I like to do and of those things which one I could turn into some sort of income. Now after being diagnosed with ADHD this makes even more sense. I have drummed up a few deifferent things I enjoy and am looking into what it would take to accomplish each. Life will be so much better if I get to wake up and do something video game related, or something that involves helping people in need, or maybe something in which gets me on the field at a football game. I enjoy doing those things and as you know its pretty easy to focus on something that you enjoy doing.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ADHDisME awesome post!

REPORT ABUSE

rebekkajm

laddybug3

My brother told me that Josh, who was in Worst Cooks in America has ADHD. His challenger also stated she has ADD. I wondering cooking is a good job to have if you are an ADDer? I am not sure this comment fits.

I think something outdoors or working in a museum would be a good fit.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I work in Front-of-House at a live theatre. The job has a firm structure, but so many variables (because the audience is different at every performance) that it’s very interesting and satisfies my creative tendencies. My managers value and encourage my contributions, and, when I needed a temporary adjustment to my duties because of my condition, it was quickly and generously given. And, because the schedule is flexible, I can arrange it around any gigs I have.

After so many years of struggling to fit into office jobs, this job has given me the best performance review of my entire life, AND my first promotion ever!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am 18 years old and I started my own free lance photography business! I love it because I am thinking and moving around. Photography gives you an excuse to be random because the subjects think you are artistic. I get sent to photography competitions and I compete with the top 30 highschool photographers in Orange County. I think photography is a GREAT ADD job

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m currently an addictions counselor. Problem: Long hours of paperwork. I have trouble paying attention to my clients in group therapy for 1 HOUR AND50 MINUTES. I start to lose my focus after an hour. I’m counting down the REQUIRED time more than my court ordered patients are. They know I’m struggling to get through the work day. When I first began in this line of work 11 years ago, I did shift work. I was always moving from one task to another rather quickly. I shoveled snow when bored or in need of burning energy. I worked my way up in this business and now I’m miserable. I miss the rapid fire shift work, and going on recreational activities with the cleints…and the shoveling of snow. Now that I’m in a higher up position (my father would have never have thought he would see the day-proud of me),I have a bachelors degree (miracle), I have an office (cage) that I must spend hours in on a daily basis, others shovel the snow. I don’t even know where snow shovel is.. I’ve looked often). I need a new line of work.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

A little inspiration from John Steinbeck:

Many ADDers, when young, hear adults tell them repeatedly they’ll never amount to anything. Hell, some people hear it their entire lives.

Interestingly, Nobel-prize-winning novelist John Steinbeck once had a professor tell him he couldn’t write, that he’d be an author when pigs fly! As a result, Steinbeck adopted a “motto”: ad astra per alia porci (To the stars on the wings of a pig). It’s reportedly printed in all his books.

I’m not suggesting Steinbeck had to overcome ADD/ADHD. I’m just saying that when it comes to life and career, pigs occasionally taxi out and take off. Good luck gang!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do what you like. It’s the best job for people with or with out ADD.

Pick something you like that could be turned into a job and do it.

Find someone to hire you, or get your own clients, just do what makes you happy and ADD, depression, anxiety, stress will have no place.

At least that’s my goal. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have read several lists of ADHD friendly jobs and there are two that frequently appear which I find problematic. First, these lists usually contain something like “computers/software engineer.” This was extremely disheartening to see because I was looking at these list to get ideas of what I might be good at in order to get the h*ll out the software field. I love the challenge of writing computer programs (especially games) and fixing problems as well as the buzz I get off of learning new technology. However, working the software field is much different from studying it at school, or coding your own fun projects at home. In fact, a huge chunk of your time will be spent in the typical “boring meetings” (see Bill’s ADDventures). Additionally, most programming work is dull and extremely detail oriented. Needless to say, this was a profession in which I couldn’t be more than a train wreck, despite the fact that I am always working on something cool on the side.

Second, I often see an entry about being a pilot. This raises my eyebrow not because I disagree with it, but because the FAA has explicitly stated it considers ADD/ADHD to be incompatible with flight safety, and all the ADHD meds will disqualify you from getting the medical certificate you would need in this career. I would hate to see someone get their hopes up and spend their money on flying lessons only to hit an insurmountable bureaucratic wall.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I work as a nurse in disability rehab. I love the fact that I am immediately accountable to people – very hard to procrastinate when someone asks to use the loo!!! The patients are there for extended times, but not forever, so I get to know them well enough to help me fit their needs into a routine, but they are not there long enough to make the work tedious and boring. Most of my work is a set routine without lots of interruptions or distractions, and I don’t have to remember a multitude of “extra” jobs (checking IVs and other acute care stuff) – and I use an alarm on my phone to remind me of the few non-routine things that might crop up. I also found that nursing patients with dementia is extremely interesting. Routine work, but unpredictable patients to keep things interesting and challenging. And the way my brain works meant that I often came up with great solutions to deal with difficult behaviours.

I did, however, find it difficult when I started in nursing. My prioritising abilities were crap, time management sucked, and I always forgot to do things. I applied for quite a few jobs before I got the one I did. Thankfully I learnt coping mechanism on the job and was rehired after my 1 year graduate program. I am in no hurry to leave, because I know I’d find it hard to adjust to a new job.

I would suck at being self-employed as I’d never have the motivation to do anything!! The adjustable hours would be really good though.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)