Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD friendly jobs

ADD friendly jobs2011-02-11T09:17:29+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace ADHD-Friendly Careers ADD friendly jobs

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author

blackdog

@Rick– I almost never ask for help. The first problem is that I really believe that I can do it all. The second is like dthl said, it’s just too hard to articulate things. I always say I can have it done in the length of time it takes to explain it to someone else. Which might actually be true if I was able to focus and get it done.

And another reason for me is that I don’t want to get shot down before I get off the ground. I am so used to having people shoot holes in every idea I have that I don’t like to tell anyone what I am going to do until I already have it at least partially done.

@dithl – Step 2 is actually the one that would give me trouble. Is it better to get help? Nah, I don’t need any help. I’m fine, I can do it on my own…..Famous last words.

@dpender – That is such a good point. I have no tolerance for redundancy. And it was so hard at my last job to bite my tongue as one of the managers slowly went over something simple that required no explanation step, by step, by step….I was ready to pull my hair out by the time they were done. Took a long time for me to realize that it wasn’t because they thought I didn’t understand it. It was because they didn’t understand it themselves. To them it actually was complicated.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Here’s a timely article I just found on the BBC’s website: http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20131206-how-to-build-a-career-you-love

It has advice from several people, including Richard Branson (who happens to have ADHD).

Just remember, sharing ADHD or any other trait with a famous person, does NOT necessarily mean that it’s a “ticket to success”. It’s not what you have, it’s what you can (and do) do with it…and a whole lot of luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Eric

I travel the world working for NGO and education organizations. It keeps me occupied until I get bored again.

REPORT ABUSE

helenboll

I am a librarian! Or well, almost. Got a stupid master thesis type of stupid thing I need to write to get a diploma. And I am afraid that will not happen as long as I am undiagnosed and unmedicated.

Let’s say I’m a library assistant for the time being. Anyway, the environment of a library works well for me. Order makes me calm. My professional personality is bubbly, helpful and chatty, so that helps when I am at the counter. I also LOVE literature and read a lot, so that helps. My imagination and ability to think differently than non-add:ers also help.

Things that are hard for me are, for example, if the sound level gets too high, or having to do inefficient tasks that take a long time, like filling out forms for buying new books. I also find it difficult to work with, or under, people that treat me the wrong way or try to make me do things in a way I can’t or don’t want to.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

You’re a librarian, awesome!  Have you  seen the movies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian_%28franchise%29

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Here’s an editorial from the Toronto Star, advocating for more to be done to encourage companies to actively hire people with disabilities.

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=#!/article/52f85e77ec0691c58300005c-take-quick-action-to-allow-the-disabled-to-work-and-thrive-editorial

Contrary to the general belief, disabled workers (including those with mental issues) are often the best, most responsible workers they’ll ever have. And the supports they’ll need are usually very minor and inexpensive.

I prefer to think of myself as “handicapped”, not disabled. It’s not that I’m not “able” to do something; I just find it harder to do it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)