Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD Timers

ADD Timers2011-02-16T02:15:13+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, I recently started working with an ADD coach and she recommended getting a timer with a visual countdown. I was wondering if anyone knows of one that we can setup once such as. Wake up, eat breakfast, shower…and so on to get into a daily routine in a timely manner. Does anyone know if the Time Timer app for Ipod stores tasks? I couldn’t seem to find that info or does anyone know of one that does. Both my daughter and I were diagnosed. It is just her and I so things can get pretty chaotic around here. Thanks for your replies.

Lisa

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

I have the battery operated version of the Time Timer and it’s basically a count down timer. You set it for up to 60 minutes and the red area lets you see how much time is remaining.

Can you not set the iPod for various alarms?

Hope this helps….and good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

Lisa,

I use the iPod clock app (the one that comes with it). I set the ‘Alarm’ to wake me up (twice, ten minutes apart) and then again to hit the shower. I only use the ‘Timer’ feature to keep me from burning dinner.

For repeating daily tasks, the Calendar app (which also comes with the iPod) is very helpful. You can set up appointments to chime at a certain time, with a heading you enter (i.e. fix breakfast) and, the best part, you can make them repeat every day (or just weekdays, or whatever). I use this feature to daily chime when I need to leave for work, five minutes before my shift is up, to get my kids to tutoring after work, as well as to remind myself to bring things to work tomorrow, appointments, pay bills, etc. I wouldn’t survive without it. Maybe this would be helpful for you… something to step you through your daily routine.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are a number of way that the iPod/iTouch/iPhone might be able to do this, but if this is a “5 minutes for breakfast, ready set go…” type thing it will likely be too cumbersome. Get a non digital, non electronic, turn and set timer.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m doing something similar. Kinda.

I’m working on straightening out the second bedroom, from the door to the window. However I do find I get tired. My current solution is to take breaks about every 45 minutes or so. And my break can only be 10 minutes.

That’s what the timer is for. Normally I’d just go on “break” and stay there for an hour or so… but now I have a visual reminder to get back to the task.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I never like timers. The clicking brothers me, so I use my cell phone. Oh, I just found out you can add smily faces. ❗ 8) This can lead to trouble.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I also use the timer function on the iphone to keep myself on track. I find it helps me in completing tasks – guess I don’t want the timer to beat me :-) I try to estimate how long something should take and then set the countdown timer in 10 or 20 minute increments. This way I can monitor my progress and don’t feel I’m stuck doing something I might not like seemingly ” forever.”

And similar to Agnoset,

I use the “event” feature of the calendar app. I set it up for routines, even to check my calendar for the next day the night before. Since you can get it to repeat daily, weekly, etc. it’s really easy to use.

And here’s a timer you might not have thought of – the one on the dryer or washing machine.

I don’t mean you should use it to time things per se like a stove timer – but it helps me stay on track when I’m doing laundry. Since the average washing time for instance is 45 minutes, I know I can work on other tasks that fall into that time parameter during this period. I break larger projects/tasks into increments that fit in with doing a load of laundry. Also, since laundry is my achillies heel, I find this way I don’t fell completely doomed to this task either.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I downloaded an app for my iPad called MIN TO GO. It allows you to set an alarm and set up to three incremental warning alarms leading up to the end.. I hadn’t thought of putting it to use in this manner, but it’s a great idea. So thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’m hoping on getting a baby-g watch for my birthday- some of them allows you to preprogram 5 daily alarms, and have this multifunction alarm thingy too, plus the whole countdown timer thingamebob dealeo, and they’re water resistant so if i leave it on in the shower my world hopefully will not fall apart. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of cheap electronic timers. Egg timers I guess. They worked well. I had one at work and one at home. Then I splurged at Canadian Tire (Canada’s version of Lowes) and paid four bucks for a timer that had some extra features and a louder beep. And my wife has her cell phone going off all day long with reminders. But that’s different from a timer, which reminds me to stop and move on to the next thing, or simply take a break and stretch and drink some water.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I went to Kitchen Stuff, and got an Accu-Temp dual digital timer, for around $11. It has a large dual display, one above the other. The first mode is a clock above, with a count-up timer below. The second mode is two separate count-down timers, one above the other. It also has big numbers and a very loud beep.

I set it to make sure I leave on-time for appointments, work, to catch a train, to get ready for a gig, etc. The dual-timers allow me to set separate times—very handy for days when I’m working a double-shift with a few hours between, or need to start getting ready for a gig at one time and leave for the gig at another.

Or when I need to bake a batch of meatballs for 40 minutes, and put the pasta into the pot 7 minutes before the meatballs come out of the oven.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jen’s post about her timer not falling apart has reminded me about the time I disassembled my brand new wristwatch (a birthday present, I might add) during class in 6th grade. I felt sure I could put it back together, but it’s harder than it looks. :-/

REPORT ABUSE

agnoscet

Yah, you’re scored on how many parts you have left over when you’re done. For your next challenge, reassemble a street bike transmission on the kitchen table (why yes, while in college, and yes, it was my only vehicle) and use every piece. This is a timed test…

REPORT ABUSE

jpsimard

I don’t much care for ticking timers either. I’m also trying to stay away from my cellphone as a timer, because the whole thing is just a tiny little distraction box.

I went out and got a kitchen timer from the local cooking store. Not a ticking one, no, but an electric one with a digital countdown and THREE TIMERS. When it’s not acting as a time, it acts as a clock, which is just fine and dandy. The little guy has just about saved my life.

Not literally. But, it is a VERY helpful too. I highly recommend it.

REPORT ABUSE

Dennis

A bunch of timers:

-Three egg timers ~ I am bound to find one of them when I need one. Make sure the bell is loud, this way you can put them out of the annoying ticking range but still hear the alarm go off.

-Two watches with countdown alarms with a repeat function ~ Same reason, I’m bound to find one. Saves me from clock watching. Alarm goes off, I get my treat time (a break).

-I’m a FireFox user. They have a bunch of timer addons! My favorites are ‘ReminderFox’ and ‘Simple Timer’ because both of these allow me to set a .wav file as the alarm. I have a collection of wavs including Monty Python, Bugs Bunny, and more.

I find that once I start to ignore one of my timers, it’s time to use a different one.

Some advice I was given or I read or I possibly made up:

– Keep repeat timers to about 20 to 40 minutes if you can. Take an actual break of some sort. If you groovin’ on something then turn off the timer and hyperfocus onward.

There is a company in the US that sells a somewhat expensive watch with a vibrating alarm. I did a little research, and although I can’t remember exactly what specific models, I know that Timex and Casio make watches with vibrating alarms. I haven’t come across the Timex in the wild, but I have seen one of the Casio models at Wallyworld, aka. WalMart, about a month back. It has a surprisingly strong vibration. A silent alarm would be great at meeting or in classroom, even if it’s just there to remind you to refocus.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)