Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Awesome ADHD

Awesome ADHD2011-01-07T12:43:03+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Hayes212

Ya know, thanks, Bill!

As an ADHD and the impulse I have to sharpen the pencil just a little more. It “is” in “my” experience a double edged sword. In spite and since my diagnosis. It always has and will be a struggle to feel that “acceptance” or sense of belonging. How to explain? A punk rocker dies their hair multi-coloured to stand apart from society. Yet they join in groups to be accepted. We’re different without the later option and we didn’t have a choice.

Yes! Absolutely I get the faster mind to compensate for physical abnormalities. One could toss a ball at someone. Instinctively they react with just “one” option without thought. Catch the ball or get out of the way. It’s like fight or flight. In that same instant someone like myself sees “5” options. Then a split second of confusion and I just took a softball upside the head. Now! So how do I collect my prize?

I have trouble accepting some of the things others might see as gifts. Because part of receiving a gift is sharing that gift. In attempt to bring my point full circle. It’s what we need to go through “for” that gift. It’s not so much a gift if I worked for it!

And just to demonstrate what I mean………..

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hi Hayes,

Underdog – that picture really takes me back. Good choice!

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

My friend Susan just sent me this link to a study that shows that ADHD people are more creative. AWESOME! (but then, we already knew that, right?)

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/news/20110315/adhd-may-boost-creativity-in-adults?ecd=wnl_add_040411

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

The Springboard Clinic in Toronto specializes in ADHD – They had a great blog about the AWESOME side of ADHD:

http://springboardclinic.com/blog/25-great-things-about-having-adhd

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Lord, if the Springboard Clinic is right, then we don’t need meds for people WITH ADD; we need meds for people WITHOUT it. Moreover, we don’t need any special accommodations—not at work, not at school, not at home; everybody else needs special accommodations. After all, we’re superstars, right? And if we have “issues,” what we really need is an attitude adjustment and/or a swift kick in the butt.

I wonder if Rick wrote that Springboard piece. If he did, he needs to strap on his revolvers and face off with somebody like Russ Barkley out in front of the swinging doors of the ADD Saloon. I for one want a front-row seat.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Wow!

What an AWESOME thread to find. I’m just posting to bring it back up into view. Mebby I’ll post something later.

Freedom is awesome. I find freedom when I accept my ADHD and have begun to be friends with it too. (some of it…) Mostly the freedom from beating myself up because I may have looked stupid lazy n crazy. (I’m a lit bit stupid lazy crazy, but not in a bad or toxic way, just a lil annoying hehe)

Freedom…. Good Mantra word.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Love this thread.

I am honest. I don’t have the memory nor the inclination to be bothered with a lie, so I speak simply and honestly and most people who like me like that about me. I don’t use it as an excuse to be unkind to people.

I never ever bear a grudge. I simply don’t remember what it was I was pissed off about so there’s nothing to drag out. It makes it easy to move on and get on with just being friends.

This is maybe nothing to do with the ADHD and maybe it is – maybe there’s an impulsive thing to this. I will do whatever I can if a friend phones and needs help. This means that they can turn up at my door in the middle of the night and will be welcomed. They can phone crying and I will be on my way in minutes. I have never had a friend who abused this side of me but I have had lots who have found themselves turning to me when they really need help.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You probably need to see this video

http://totallyadd.com/your-personal-strengths

but, by all means, let’s add to it.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Great video,

I’ve watched it many times. It’s a good coaching video to bring this horse back to the water, so to speak. I’ve got it in the ADD folder in my bookmark bar. So I can go straight to it when I first log on some days. Along with about 26 others… The great threads on this site are endless… Like some of my posts huh? lol.

Skimming through a mans post is not a crime!

I gave this whole thread another read today. Such great stuff!. My thing lately is encouragement. I’ve been doing well and encouraging others. I’m real good at finding the positive in almost anything. Show me a pile of horse stuff, and I’m the one looking for the pony that made it!

Giddy up!. Take this ball and Run with it!.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hey Tiddler,

What you said about dropping everything for a fried in need really resonated with me. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a clear idea about how much time my existing commitments will take or maybe it’s the “shininess” of the chance to do something different, but I’m the same way.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Couldn’t sleep so I just got up to read some, that springboard site is great!. I didn’t read a whole lot. But really like this thing about mindfulness. It’s amazing how interesting a simple raisin can be! lol. http://springboardclinic.com/blog/raisin-your-awareness-of-the-present-moment#comments

Got raisins? They are awesome ya know :=)

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Have to agree about Springboard. Central location close to the subway and awesome people!

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Robbo

Hey you guys, here’s an idea.

Make a new folder in your bookmarks called “best of totallyadd.com” and then stick all the threads like this one in it. That’s especially helpful if you’re like me and already used up all of the slots for “favorites” in your profile.

Maybe do that now, cuz I bet you’ll forget if something shiny grabs your attention before you get to it :-)

Go ahead…

Did ya do it? Doowit.`

Okay, good. Now check out that “Raisin awareness” link up above here a lil. Isn’t that cool? Stick that one in the same folder and then maybe start doing some simple meditation. I bet you’ll become better friends with your own flavor of ADHD and find lot’s of “Awesome ADHD” stuff about your own personality. Your quality of character, You’re a member of a crazy cool community of freaky folks indeed.

Congratulations.

Now go back to sleep. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

But I JUST woke up and am feeling GRRRRRRRRRREAT! I dont want to go back to sleep for once! hahahaha

Thats a REALLY REALLY good idea! I lost one of my threads I used to comment on all the time and I forgot what it was called. I couldnt find it for the life of me but this will work!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!! I thought of something thats great about the ADD… Maybe it has already been said, but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE how we are quirky and different!

:D :D :D Another AWESOME thing I like about ADD…. ALL OF YOU AWESOME ADHD QUIRKS HERE :D :D :D

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)