Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Bedtime – Why do the demons come once I lay down?

Bedtime – Why do the demons come once I lay down?2011-03-24T20:47:14+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community Bedtime – Why do the demons come once I lay down?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having difficulty when I bed down for the night. During the day, I seem to cope fairly well with things. At night, I can be winding down on the couch watching TV and yawning like crazy. Time for bed. Once I lay down, my brain goes completely berzerk and I’m thinking about everything, mostly negative. I pray, sometimes that helps and/or knocks me out, but often I can’t seem to shut my mind off to sleep. As a consequence, I’m up on and off until sometimes 3am. Sometimes I even have to get up and go read something. It’s been really bad the last couple months but I’ve had trouble with this for a long time. Anyone else have problems with this and know what I can do to help myself?

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Mike- Have you tried listening to Audible books while laying in bed? I’ve always had trouble shutting my mind off but have found that I drift off while listening to someone read to me, especially if the reader has a soothing voice. I can lay in the dark, in bed and I’ll put my laptop on “sleep after 40 mins” or so so I don’t have to wake up again to turn it off (app on blackberry too). Has been working for me. I’ve listened to some of those hypno-therapy sleep recordings that help. And reading at bedtime helps but I don’t like making myself alert again to turn off the light. I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard people say that meditation helps them.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve found that listening to something works for me, too. My husband even found a pillow speaker so that I’m not disturbing him. I’ve also used ear-buds to listen. This seems to shut off my brain so that I can actually get to sleep! Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I used to listen to Art Bell, when he was on. Something about his voice. That and aliens and other wierdnesses he talked about. Where I live, the station that carries late night radio is very far away and weak. This means the station comes in full of static and I have to concentrate on listening to the program. Oddly enough, just as I was getting into the program, my morning alarm rang.

REPORT ABUSE

Curlymoe115

I have one of those Obus Forme Sound Makers. I usually put it on White Noise and after a few nights when the sound goes on I go out. I have no trouble going to sleep. I go around 9 pm every night and fall to sleep almost immediately most nights. Then when I wake up or am woken up in the middle of the night it is usually many hours before I can get back to sleep. I try one of my little day dreams first so that I don’t turn on the lights because once the light goes on my mind seems to go into overdrive, but if that does not work it is time to start or finish the book. If I start a book I usually read until I can’t keep my eyes open one more minute, (if it is a good book this could be when the book is finished) then I go back to sleep for an hour or two. But if it is too close to the time I have to start moving I set the alarm. I recently bought black out curtains and I really like these because now I can sleep until after the sun comes up or even get a really good afternoon nap. Before even a full moon was enough to keep me up until I literally couldn’t stay awake any more.

On another note, my dh told me yesterday that the bags under my eyes are getting really black and are starting to worry him. He even suggested that I go up for a nap and usually he is bugging me for sleeping in the afternoon. But again last night I was up at 2:30 and couldn’t get back to sleep and we had to leave the house at 8 and there was no time for a nap. We are going to a movie tonight so that means we will be driving back around 9:20 so I will unwind for the half hour in the car, (unless it is a really good movie which you have to discuss (we are going to Paul and it looks funny)) so I should be able to be in bed by 9:30 after brushing my teeth and completing the bedtime rituals. Maybe I will actually sleep until 4 or 5 tomorrow. Wouldn’t that be nice. 8)

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I’v had this problem for a long time. Do deep breathing until you fall asleep.

This one is sounds crazy, but our bio-chemistry works slightly differently. Get drink like fruit punch(or some other flavor) that’s has sugar not corn syrup. Also, make sure it has no caffeine. Now, drink about 8oz just before bed. You made need more. It should calm you down. I’v used this for a long time and it works very well to put me to sleep.

I’v found when my blood sugar gets low, I get hyper. After a 16oz fruit drink(or lots of other flavors), i’m much more calmed down. The 99cent store has brands like that.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mike: That’s a very common problem for me as well. Sometimes I take an Ativan or half of an Ambien and that makes me go to sleep. If I want to do it without meds, I play games on my iPhone or iPad (like word games or mini golf) until I can’t see straight and then I know I will be able to fall asleep.

It has really been a lifelong struggle. All the best to you as you find what works for you.

REPORT ABUSE

Bibliophile

I suffer from the same problem of an overactive mind once stimulus has been reduced at bedtime. A sleep machine that places nature sounds helped me for a long time (don’t have a good one at the moment as I gave mine away). Listening to music would distract me, but prevent me from sleeping unless it was repetitive and quiet (ambient and classical worked best). Speakers were better than headphones as the headphones themselves would keep me up. I am still a terrible sleeper.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

All good suggestions – Thank you. I’m going to try the white noise machine if I can get my wife to go along with it. ;) I’m also thinking I spend too much time in front of a pc or tv each day. Maybe reading for an hour or so before bedtime will help too.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

I have experienced the lying awake worrying at certain times, or waking up in the middle of the night, mind racing. The best solution I have found is to get up, write out all my concerns in a list, pour them out, and then tell myself, now I can go to be, they will be there in the morning when I can actually do something about them. And I go back to bed.

Also, television before bed puts your brain into a state that is actually not restful. It’s closer to hypnotized. Better to dim lights early, get comfy and read.

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

>Maybe reading for an hour or so before bedtime will help too.

Reading is really tiring to me. I’v used it to fall asleep myself many times.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Common Issue it seems…….left to it’s own devices it appears our brain likes to be active. I to wrestle with sleep. I have a TV on in the bedroom…it stays on all night every night. I set it on a common program that I know the characters…then I’m not tempted to watch. That mind numbing monster usually does the trick!!! I’ve been doing it for years and years. Yes reading too, most nights anyway. Then race to put out the light and hit the pillow before my brain starts up again. Hahahahahha…its true.

FilmBuff…. yes just recently I tried deep breathing along with a short mantra, I saw it on Dr. Phil of all things. That is how they explained to do it.

– “what have I done I’m pleased with”………”what do a really like about myself”…….. what make me feel good”…..over and over while deep breathing….it has worked every time I try it except once or twice.

Good for your soul too I guess…. plus it set off certain good hormones within your body, as I understand it. It has something to do with strengthening your immune system if I remember right?? All sorts of bonus features. Beddy-byes meditation ??????? How can that be a bad thing…. eh???

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Do you find that your meds help or hinder your sleep, or no difference? I’ve found that since starting the meds, it may take me awhile for my mind to quiet down, but once I do fall asleep, I sleep much deeper now. Maybe I just don’t worry so much about things anymore.

TooFat, having the TV on all night would drive me nutso. As for waking up to turn the light off, I hate that. Last night I did just that and then couldn’t get back to sleep. I was like the princess and the pea, every little bump must be adjusted until everything is just so. Have you tried putting a timer on your light so you can just drift off and not worry about it, I’m going shopping for one today.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Lindstr7……. no I didn’t think of a timer, maybe a great idea!!! I seem to have it all to where it’s not an issue, but thanks. I understand the TV doesn’t work for you but it’s kinda like a book and reading for me. In fact if I sit down and watch TV for nay length of time…I’ll just nod off because it’s so mind numbing. It’s about all i have to say for TV….. I hate the damn thing!!! Actually on second thought.. I just dislike it….

Anyway it’s late…. time for my evening ritual……….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

anyone else notice their head most busy when they awaken in the morning? Sometimes i have a song stuck in it, or, in the worst case, a recycling stream of negative thinking.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)