Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Concerta

Concerta2009-11-30T22:35:01+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Concerta

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Bettyboo

I don’t know about changing the wife ;-). I do know that I would be very careful about changing and experimenting with medications unless your doctor has ok’d it. I know that on the Concerta website it states that if cut it doesn’t release slow ly and may affect how you respond to it or whether you get the 10 to 12 hours. I would caution you on cutting it Talk with your doctor before you experiment with medication realy isn’t good for your system.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll have to check that out. Thanks. Btw. Has anyone experienced a constant ringing in the ears while on Concerta or Wellbutrin XL? Here’s what I’ve noticed since being on these two meds. They are in random order with lots missing….

headaches; Strange stomach feelings..not nausea; nausea ;0); dizziness, foggy, leg pains extending to my left testicle (sorry ladies); Panic or anxious feeling from my brain.. not a physical symptom, i can sense it in my head; occasional tingle around my lips; sudden dizziness when entering brighter environments; zero drive from 2pm onwards; Can’t get comfortable in my car seat any longer; same with sofa; ZERO tolerance for BS; constant ear ringing. More noticeable on left side than right.

I’m visiting my GP on monday and will update him…. just wondering if the group has experienced any or all of these.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Funny that….I’m on Wellbutrin and Concerta and have notice a DECREASE in tinnitus generally speaking. I don’t know if the leg pain thing is related to meds, but it may be related as to why you can’t get comfortably seated in your car? Nerve or soft tissue injury?

I can relate to the zero tolerance thing, but I have learned some relaxation and cognitive behavioral techniques that has dramatically increased my “pain” threshold. Yah, I know, the BS thing is getting increasingly higher and deeper these days, so I’ve learned to pick my battles. Like, deal with issues you can impact and change, then leave the rest….

REPORT ABUSE

Fearwidg
    Participant

Wh…

WHA…

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

This is a perfect example of why sites such as this, and communication between us like this, is SO helpful

Sigh.

Every time I think I’ve got a handle on this disorder, some Swan innocently mentions something and it’s …

HUH? I didn’t know THAT had anything to do with my ADD and/or meds!

abslt0 … you wrote:

“Has anyone experienced a constant ringing in the ears…”

And…

“…constant ear ringing. More noticeable on left side than right. “

YES!

About 4-5 (?) years ago, we went to the beach.

I fell asleep.

When I woke up, there was a ringing in my left ear.

“Oh well,” I thought. “It will go away.”

IT DIDN’T.

STILL have it, and now the right ear is ringing as well (though – as you mention – not as badly).

Researched it on the net.

Suspected I had Tinnitus.

Went to my Doctor.

He said, “You have Tinnitus.”

“What can I do about it?” I asked.

“Nothing,” he said.

Swell.

Discovered a bunch of famous people have it (No, I won’t inflict another list on you <g>).

One of them is William “Captain Kirk/Denny Crane” Shattner.

“The Shat” had it so bad he seriously considered suicide!

There are days when I can understand that (though – to clarify – I never would).

As if my ADD “hearing problems” aren’t bad enough, I now have to endure jet engines in each ear.

Worse some days than others.

Absolutely worse when it is silent (for others. I’ll never hear silence again {well, not until “the rest is silence”} <g>).

Can’t sleep without a white noise machine.

It’s hellish.

And that’s just half of it.

abslt0 also wrote:

“Can’t get comfortable in my car seat any longer”

Wh…

WHA…

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

When I was driving for Children’s Aid, my good old Tourettes decided THAT would be a good tic.

I could NOT sit still.

Squirmed in my seat constantly (as if trying to get comfortable).

Then the squirm turned into a jerk, which got so bad I slipped several discs in my back and got a pinched nerve (later fixed by a Chiropractor).

To make matters worse, I apparently “pulse” the gas pedal while I drove, which made my partner nauseous.

So we had to trade our car in and get one with cruise control.

I pretty much drive with my thumb 95% of the time.

Mind you, I now know it was the Ritalin & Dexedrine that exacerbated my tics.

Once I switched to Adderall, my tics were much better. And when I added the Clonazepam, they stopped altogether (though I’ve now got to look into this memory problem Dr. J mentioned. Sigh).

But I digress… <g> (which, by the way, will be the title of the book I’m going to write on my ADD <vbg>).

What I wanted to say was – YES, abslt0 – I have several of the same “symptoms” you have mentioned.

Oh – Oh – and, another one…

“… zero drive from 2pm onwards.”

YES. YES. YES!

(Unless, I take more Adderall, in which case I’m productive, but can’t sleep. Sigh).

Many thanks for sharing such personal info. It gives me a whole bunch more stuff to research.

And it’s good to know I’M not alone.<g>

Appreciate it.

Cheers till next time,

GN

PS: Wanna know what I hear? Go to:

http://www.neuromonics.com/patient/treatment/index.aspx?id=50

I have the second sound you’ll hear … 24/7.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

<snip>

Elizabeth said:: I know that on the Concerta website it states that if cut it doesn’t release slow ly and may affect how you respond to it or whether you get the 10 to 12 hours.

<snip>

I’d be happy with 10 – 12 minutes. I noticed when I cut open the pill, it was tightly packed with white powder. The out shell was pretty thick. No wonder I wasn’t able to split it with my fingers. Before experimenting, I did ask my GP about other possible meds. He basically said here’s your Concerta script, keep taking your anti-depressants and I’ll talk to you in 2 weeks. With so many meds available, how does he know which to use or which one is good for me? I don’t think Concerta is the ‘right’ med as Im still having trouble focusing on the task at hand.

Fearwidg, that noise you hear is EXACTLY the same one I hear. 24-7. I’ve noticed tonight it’s much louder at night than during the day. Left side especially. Ive been able to sometimes use it to my advantage. At times, I can ‘listen’ to it and use it to help me get to sleep. I’ve tried white noise mp3’s that ive been able to download off the web… they also kinda work, but only sometimes. Its more hit and miss. I like listening to ocean surf, its very relaxing and can put me to sleep in no time. Brown noise also works. I find it difficult to find on the web as a freebie. There’s tons of stuff you can buy, but what for… It’s more fun looking for it and satisfies the ADD urge to always have some tech toy attached to your hip. ;0)

REPORT ABUSE

Fearwidg
    Participant

abslt0 … you sure we’re not brothers separated at birth? <g>

Will respond to your points, but am getting worried we’re “hijacking” a thread on Concerta, so I just started a new thread on Tinnitus.

Perhaps we should continue our discussion there.

Apologies to those looking for other answers re Concerta (though this was triggered by abslt0’s belief/concern that Concerta triggered his own Tinnitus).

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Concerta has done a number of things for me.

At first it was good, but as my body has become accustomed to it, it’s starting to go bad. My biggest issue with Concerta is high levels of anger. I know where it comes from, I know why it’s there and sometimes, I can even control it because I know it’s just my brain screaming for more of the drug.

After 3 years on the drug, I find that even while the drug is in my system (about 3 hours into work), I’m aggressive, quick to anger and lash out and even just angry for no particular reason. As someone who was very passive and docile, I have just let these feelings envelop me. I have enjoyed the ride and now the only thing stopping me from getting off is the withdrawl.

When people ask me if I recommend Concerta, I tell them “hell no!”. I was on Ritalin prior to this and it didn’t do anything to my moods or temperament.

What’s the best way to get off this stuff without destroying my work and home life? What can I take to replace it that wont have a similar effect?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Piirus, I notice that Concerta has a different effect with and without an empty stomach. Have you noticed a difference??

I still don’t think my dosage is right though. Recently increased from 27 to 36mg. I don’t look at my watch 10x a minute to see what time it is any longer, but I still had to go drive back home 3x to see if the front door was locked. I finally had to write it into my blackberry that it was and record the time <g>. Sheesh.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Honestly, I don’t think i’ve ever thought to try. If I don’t take it (and my wellbutrin) with milk, I get nauseous for some reason. I still question whether or not my garage door is open, but once you have a pattern in place, it’ll stop.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Abslt0,

take a look at this site: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/concerta-side-effects.html

I would consider trying another medication or at least lowering dosage. If you’re lucky enough to live in a country that has doctors who (like Dr. Jain) are well educated about the drugs that can help ADD and ADHD symptoms you should definitely make sure to get an in depth talk with one.

Luck luck ahead! :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

About difference in effect when you take Concerta shortly fater having eaten or on an empty stomach: I have had very different levels of effects, but absolutely unrelated to how shortly before I (or after) eating I took the meds. It baffles me too, since a lower dosage seem to generally be too low to really help me, whereas the higher dosage is too high to be comfortable when it “decides” to have a strong effect.

To be honest I would have preferred to be on Adderall by far, as this product – as the only one – has no side effects that I can notice. But it’s my usual luck that my country has taken Adderall out of the list and can no longer be prescribed.

– Simply just my usual luck! >;-(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. Jain,

When I wrote the first two posts, I was somewhat sensitive to Concerta dosage at 36mg, but this has changed. After some 10-14 days on 18mg that didn’t give me much of an effect, I tried the 36mg again, and this time it worked pretty much as I would have wanted it to (the side effects – mainly head ache and stomach ache as well as a tendency to sweat more – had lowered considerably) and I can now enjoy much of the good sides of how this medicine works, though these are still not quite optimal.

There is however a tendency: Both the wanted effect and the side effects are beginning to diminish, and I foresee the possibility that I will need 54mg next month, which will then hopefully have the closest to ultimate effect without the side effects – or at least with fewer side effects than in the beginning.

But I have one great worry:

I’ve read more than once that one can become dependent on Concerta (and other stimulant medicines) … and I mean physically dependent, addicted! … and this really, really worries me.

The scenarios used on some websites to put it into perspective are like the programs we have seen on tv about crag addicts who (before and after withdrawal) can’t complete even short conversations because their ability to focus is not only temporarily impaired, but completely destroyed. If there is any truth to this it seems to imply that our synapses over time will grow permanently incapable of functioning (without the drug), and at least in the case of crag this is actually so (though filler-drugs and other factors may play a role).

But is it possible that it is the same with Concerta?

I know Ritalin (the drug used in Concerta) has been used for around 50 years. But I haven’t been able to find anything about the long term effects on people who are on this medication on a daily basis (except for the kind of information I refer to above, which isn’t very well founded and which have no references to time or dosage, i.e.).

Damage to my brain is my greatest fear of all. I fear this more than becoming paralyzed or blind (which are things I fear greatly too, obviously). So it is hard for me to let go of this issue. I feel a need to know about it, and though I have tried to find other sources of information, I have failed to do so. This is why I’m “imposing” on your time and ask if you will and can tell me/us something about it.

Could/would you perhaps help with some information about this question, or refer me to a website that has information about it? (The doctors and psychiatrists I have access to know less than I do in this regard and can’t help.)

I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance.

To AbsIt0, Fearwidg, and others,

about having tics:

Since my last visit (and post) I’ve learned a few more things, and one thing that I want to mention is that it seems to be advised to not take Concerta if you have tics (or Tourettes).

For this reason I think it would be a good idea if you look more into this issue and talk to your doc about it too. Hopefully he’ll be able to help/know what to do, or he can refer you to someone with expertise in ADHD and ADHD-medication who can help you.

I wish you all the best of luck! ^L^,

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting threads and glad to see the initiative to start new threads. As for Concerta, it is a methylphenidate product and the long term data does NOT support some adverse happening to your brain structure. To the contrary, a normalization of symptoms should actually lead to a normative structural change, if any change were to occur. There was a study done by Steven Kish who showed that in chronic methamphetamine users that there was a change to abnormality which was good news! If your symptoms normalize, then maybe any changes that will happen are as I suggested.

Should Concerta be used in Tourette’s. This is controversial as the ADHD component of the Tourette’s is the impairing part and while tics may get worse, they are largely cosmetic though they can be treated. A very typical strategy is to get the tics under control first with clonidine or an atypical neuroleptic and then add small doses of psychostimulants.

With regard to side effect issues and efficacy, sometimes trying to tailor make the medication schedule to fit the day limits the side effects. The one disadvantage of Long Acting agents is that they make each day the same when, in fact, each day has its ups and downs. Try using small doses of regular methylphenidate on top of the Concerta at a lower dose. The top ups conform to the day to day changes. If your attentional load is matched by the meds, its like a balance. If you have more meds circulating than you need, you will get side effects. For example, someone in real pain on an opiate analgesic will not get addicted but someone who abuses the analgesic because there is no pain to balance it, will face withdrawal and cravings.

Will Concerta make you an addict. Definitely, NO

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dr. J. I have been diagnosed with ADD and I have been prescribed Concerta (18 mg) I have been on it for the past 3 weeks. I am far from my new psychiatrist so I am not able to give him quick feedbacks. I used to take Ritalin sporadicly and it did work but my body metabolized it too quickly and we got started on Conceta. At the 18 mg dose, I am not feeling any changes other than suppression of appetite (slight) and barely noticeable “comfort” on not so demanding days. Is it time to call him up and try to increase the dose? (I am a healthy male in early 30’s with no other health issues)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You must always determine what is that you want to change with the medication. Be careful of subjective outcomes. Try to create a hard verifiable measure and include observer information to see how you are doing. Dosing is not simply trying to determine when you start getting intolerable side effects.

Yes, you could consider raising the dose. Talk to your doc.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)