Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

getting along with people …how?

getting along with people …how?2011-12-20T18:36:16+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey I Don't Get People getting along with people …how?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

toofat “Strap on downhill skis go up the the Expert mountain slope and get pushed off………there is a good chance it will be a poor experience…..yes, yes….. “

When I was in high school (early 70s), I went on my first ski trip, thought all you had to do was put on skis and point them down the hill, that’s what you see on tv. ooooooooh – going way too fast! Sat down on the skis, still going too fast, fell over, walked the rest of the way down the hill. Stupidly went back up on the chairlift thinking there might be an easier hill to go down. What does that black triangle mean? Soon figured out that I might need lessons, someone taught me how to snowplow and that’s about as far as my technique evolved (only go on the bunny hills if downhill, go cross country otherwise). Very fortunate that I didn’t hurt myself. Who was supervising us? BTW, before the trip, I was elected president of the ski club, I had never skied before. I think they just wanted someone to organize the trip, eventually a teacher organized the bus etc. I didn’t know how to do it!

I must have nine lives because I have done other impulsive stupid things and survived, how I don’t know.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No_dop….sorry gotta laugh…….that’s movie material!!!! Really….thanks for the chuckle.

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh No-dop that was a delightful story. I should have twigged to being impulsive; there are so many stories about me doing

impulsive stuff .. my favorite was that I was 8, visiting relatives near the Rockies and went off in search of a bear.

Happily, didnt find bear, lucky but accident prone. And thanks for the suggestion about ADHD and its Effect on Marriage.

She seems to be very perky about ADHD, laughs, guess thats my Depressed/Angry side of AD. Cheers all.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

I didn’t notice the book being perky. Guess I’ll have to start taking my Adderall and start over.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

toofat, no problem, I think it’s funny too. I just can’t believe how stupid I was.

Tea, I love the bear story!

Saw a book at the bookstore the other day, called “Tongue Fu” – it’s more for challenging situations and it didn’t get really great reviews from some people, but I thought it was a great book title! I think the idea of being prepared before going into situations where you’ll have to talk with people is a good plan.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use my poor coping skills of not talking to that many people. Then I can’t be held accountable for blurting something stupid….

“No one will know your the dumbest person in the room until you open your mouth and prove it”. :?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I face a mixture of ranting way too much, when I actually feel the person is intelligent or more intelligent than me, to keeping my head down and moving as rapidly as possible in order to avoid anyone’s attention. While in graduate school, I became very upset when our professor told the class “if you would actually focus, you would know this…”. Indeed, I got up and left class asap, though knowing the information, and later returned. After class, I explained how her comments affected me and that I would appreciate it if she would never say anything like that again while I was in her class. Her jaw dropped and she gathered the words “I didn’t realize…it wasn’t just to you…I apologize and didn’t mean for it…”

A few comments above address forgetting peoples’ names and/or faces, thank goodness I am not the only one:0) I do it all the time. During my first semester of graduate school while giving a presentation on legal issues, I called everyone in the room by the wrong name including our professor. During my presentation, I was wondering why the group would chuckle. Upon returning to my seat, there was a seating chart with everyone’s name placed atop the desk. Hilarious!!! Made an “A” on all presentations and in the course as well. Intelligent but lacking with the minute details;0P

REPORT ABUSE

billd

browna7 ADD or not, you sure are a cool level-headed person. Sure do seem nice.

Your example from school is funny – pretty good.

I am REALLY bad with names, and have almost no facial recognition. folks say “doesn’t that baby look like their mother” and I say it looks like a generic baby to me. Or, doesn’t he look like his brother? Ah, not that I can see. Twins – forget it – I can’t tell ’em apart. Even our two Tonkinese – Tuvak and Koko – there are times I’m not sure which is on my lap until I look at their eye color, and it’s a bit easier now as Koko has OCD and is biting the hair off his flanks and legs, so I look for almost bald spots to tell them apart.

My parents were told early on that I could have severe social issues due to very high intelligence – the school psychologist did some testing, and simply told them I was bored, way beyond my years and grade, and I was probably going to be VERY impatient with people not up to my level or skills or knowledge.

Unfortunately, his predictions came true. I try hard to hang out with folks with a higher intelligence than myself as I know how I’ll be otherwise – bored when they speak, impatient when I attempt to show or explain something.

I find it very nearly impossible to hire any professionals for anything – roofing, electric, plumbing, you name it – they can’t work up to my standards and in some cases, when they are gone, I do parts of it over again.

Geesh, I’ve even had to explain to doctors what’s wrong. I was good enough that the family doctor I had until he retired and went into IT kind of joked with me (but he was really serious) when I walked in “Ok, Bill, tell me what’s wrong, I’ll confirm it if needed and get you on your way”. There are times I swear I could have been like these people in some TV shows of the past where they are something different in each episode – one week they pose as a doctor, in another episode, they pose as a lawyer, etc.

I got a job in charge of the properties and buildings for On With Life, Inc (www.onwithlife.org) and they were in the city of Ankeny – I walked in to the city engineer’s office and told them I needed to do maintenance for OWL – he asked me some questions, I took some tests, and walked out with a maintenance electrician’s license for the City of Ankeny.

When I was unemployeed for several months years ago, I applied for a multitude of jobs. for the government jobs, the state for example, a lot was based on your employment and skill history, but the final score most heavily relied on comprehensive tests. I took many tests – electrician, plumber, building engineer, etc. LOL – I passed ALL of them, most with scores ranging from 80 to 95%)

My car hobby friends (all 2 or 3 of them) say I’m “anal” – I am a perfectionist. Work at it until it’s perfect.

It’s getting almost boring taking my Javelin to the big national meet at Cordova each fall – 4 years in a row my car has taken first place trophy. I have to be REALLY careful in my comments when looking at other cars if you know what I mean. (although I’ve seen a good many I truly drool over, very nearly PERFECT)

In conversations I’ve been told I was rude, acted like I didn’t care to hear some folks speak. Well, they spoke slowly, in a “boring to me” manner, and it wasn’t topics of interest to me – I am not good at “faking it”.

At work I get in trouble because I’m very short with others who don’t get it the first time, or who after being here 2 years still don’t know what to do if a VPN connection fails. I want to say, gee, people, it’s not rocket science, it’s troubleshooting 101 (and frankly, for a couple of folks here, I’m correct as even my team leader is seeing it now) but I don’t hide it well.

I’m ashamed as heck to say that if your skills and level aren’t up to my expectations or abilities, I may seem rude or eventually quietly drift away. It’s one of those things I do not like about myself, and am rather ashamed of it. It’s not how I want to be at all. I offend some genuinely nice folks that way.

More recently I see another problem I have – folks want to talk to me, some have even said they respect my knowledge so contact me “off-line” or out of the forums using email. And my issue is like Patrick and Rick have explained in the documentary and clips here – I intent to reply, sometimes I even go to my computer figuring I was going there to reply. 4 hours later, I’m off to something else, and didn’t respond. How rude – THAT is a thing about my ADHD I really wish I could change.

I’m not meaning to ignore or not respond, it’s not intentional. It really bothers me as these people contact me wanting to talk with me – and here I act like they aren’t important. Makes me sick. A college professor even told me one time the others in our class looked to me as a leader – HA, then I appear to shun them when they are looking to me for a chat………. or some thoughts, opinions, whatever.

Really sucks.

I do not want this to end up being a really down post – as toofat is right, we, often me, at times sink into the negative, but this is something that hurts other people, makes me look bad, isn’t how I want to be, isn’t who I want to be, and it’s not like some other things where some aspects of ADD can be leveraged and turned into an advantage (like my ability to push through and get results), I truly do see this as a negative.

Other things I can more easily change, or work on, or can use to my advantage, making me better in some areas maybe because of ADD – but relationships with people, the ADD really stinks.

If it hurts me, that’s one thing, but when it hurts others – that’s different.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Billd,

Sorry for this bound to be long post post but please bear with me….

Maybe this is way too obvious and your sharp mind will find the flaw instantly, but have you ever considered just concentrating on one thing in terms of a behaviour you want to change?

If it truly bothers you that you don’t connect easily and well to others –

you say

“…but this is something that hurts other people, makes me look bad, isn’t how I want to be, isn’t who I want to be…” –

Then how about a month where you make forging relationships your priority and sole focus? Put everything else on the back burner. Forget about hobbies and other stuff that can wait ( the world won’t end if you don’t do it stuff) and just make improving and creating relationships with others your main “experiment.” Seems you love a challenge by the sounds of things and this should be a biggie.

Make the first thing you do every day something related to this. Put a post-it note on your computer screen that says ” focus on relationships” or some such thing to bring you back to this should your attention stray. I tried the post-it note thing a few times to keep on track with a project and it really worked.

Anyway just a thought – if your brilliance lets you learn everything else easily then there’s hope – making friends isn’t brain surgery it just requires thoughtfulness.

And one last thing – this will sound mean but I only say it from experience and not wanting to beat around the bush. If you are critical of those less smart, talented or whatever – it probably stems from your insecurity not your intelligence. That’s a mask. I was like that in my late teens and early twenties until someone pointed out to me that just because I thought it I didn’t need to express it :-) Before that I thought that my expressing the (to me ) obvious was necessary and that my sarcasm was funny. Apparently not …..:-) Try to say something nice before you say something negative – it gets easier and people are always more inclined to be nice back when you say something complimentary. Your intertwined intelligence, impatience and disdain are not justified excuses for rudeness, lack of empathy and being a generally unpleasant person. It is just easier to be rude than work on the social skills you are lacking. But it seems to me that you have taken the biggest step – the recognition of the trait – one which you are capable of rectifying if you put the work into it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nellie, I like and agree with what you have posted. :D

Billd, You sound like you are being awfully tough on yourself. It is imossible for a human to be perfect. The more you try, the more frustrated, anxious and depressed you will become. I am 44 years old. It has taken me this long to realize that I also suffer from poor relationships. However, I have recently taken up glass carving old bottles I collect from local bars. I give them as personalized gifts to people who I like and wish to improve relations with. It is a great feeling to see them happy with something you made with your hands. It opens up new lines of conversation and forces me to stop thinking about myself. Restoring and maintaining your AMC is really cool but very lonely. It is a great excuse to remain isolated.

If you truly want to make and keep friends you must do something differently. That whole insanity definition fits here…..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

We just watched the Enterprise episode where Captain Archer almost orders T-Pol (spelling?) to try to get to know her fellow crewmates, more than just by name. I can relate.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

She sure got to know Tripp by more than just name! Heehee!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

The initial “diagnosis” or explanation came from the school psychologist when I was in roughly the 3rd grade. According to my mother, my IQ was quite high.

(I’ve since found it runs in the family, when doing research of the family tree, finding out my mother’s own IQ, and then finding records of tests run on my oldest son, the school system reports show he had an abnormally high IQ at about 5-6 years of age. )

The frustration actually does run with the abilities and intelligence – it’s not just me guessing or making it up, it’s a regognized issue at times. It’s known among those with very high IQs that they tend to be frustrated easily with others, that bit isn’t “just me” but is a demonstrated tendency – recognized by psychiatry. In some forums you’ll see other ADHD adults complain of similar – being ADHD and intelligent can be a curse.

People with ADHD tend to be “short” and impatient anyway. It’s just part of it.

This summer, the neuro-psych doc said similar, he warned me not to be alarmed with his report and diagnoses and the terms he used, then said quite bluntly that I wasn’t capable of easily “bonding” with humans and said my current wife seemed to be the one exception – as if he couldn’t explain that one. (he did indicate that he was unsure as to why were were so successful together but he sensed a very strong bond between us. Duh, I could have told him that.)

That neuro-psych didn’t indicate that “insecurity” was a problem but was bits and pieces associated with ADD in some cases. I guess in his reports he shows that the testing shows I’m in the “superior” range in speach, reading, math and a couple of other areas. He said I’d make a good speaker or orator. In that case, his more than 4 hours of testing supports what the others have said, I suppose.

He did say there was “social anxiety” as part of he ADHD – don’t like large gatherings, parties, get-togethers, etc.

(If you haven’t already, there’s a whole thread on that here in this very forum – quite a few other ADHD adults here feel the same – Prefer smaller groups, or gatherings, more one-on-one, don’t like the large gatherings). He said I would be fine with smaller gatherings. He was supposed to send me copies of all the full reports, but he has yet to do so – maybe I need to give him a reminder call next week.

IMO,my hobbies are not an excuse but are a release, from as far back as I can remember – which for some things, is roughly 5 to 7 years old) I’ve preferred machines and animals (especially cats) to people. If yoga or meditation helped you relax and made it easier for you to be around people the next day, should anyone suggest you give those up? Hobbies are a valid form of release and relaxation – trust me, you don’t want to see me if i’ve been denied working in my shop for a few days.

I generally don’t like to be around lots of people. I relax, unwind, and really do far better that way. Even my wife is like that to some extent. When we get home, she’d rather not answer the phone, hates it when someone comes to the door, and wants no one else around but me on her time off. She does like to go to her quilt retreats now and then, and hang out with some friends -but she prefers the SMALL groups, just a few peole she knows – she tells others:

“I”m around people all day – wanting things, etc. and just want it to all stop when I get home”.

there are times when the phone rings she says “let the machine get it”. I do the same sometimes.

Why would I force myself to do something I don’t really want to do – which is hang out with more people?

That’s not the issue or what Im looking for……….. i’d just rather not tick off the few I do work with or hang out with. I don’t want to add to the numbers. I much prefer my hobbies and cars, always have – I actually need them, and don’t want to change that bit at all. It’s my pleasure, fun, relaxation in life. If I were to have to give up even a few hours of that a week – i’d be REALLY short fused and short with folks. Being away from people and being with my hobbies is what makes the rest tolerable – take it away, it would be a disaster, not a help. If anything I need to relax MORE………… (not take on so much work, learn to say no” is what one doctor suggested.)

I guess another way to put it – I’d rather improve quality, not quantity as far as people relations. Not more time, or more people, better time, better relationships or at least better communications, etc.

(lack of patience is another ADD thing that I’d expect most in this thread to relate to……it’s in the list).

My oldest son says his brother, my younger son, has no capacity for empathy and is borderline sociopath (sp). (severe ADHD in his case) so he has no issues conning people. (he can be looked up on the interpol web site) it would seem after my diagnosis, testing, etc and knowing my youngest son is also very ADHD, I suspect there’s an ADHD connection.

I just don’t want to snap at those I work around, or am around.

>>just because I thought it I didn’t need to express it <<

Seriously, that’s yet another common symptom of ADHD – I’m really sort of surprised folks here act as if it’s disconnected or caused by something else o that one can simply “try harder” or “get over it”. Doesn’t work that way – . that sort of thing is pretty basic ADHD – not a personality or something that can be changed simply by “working harder on it” if you truly have ADHD.

Stating the obvious, or stating what is being thought is a biggy in ADHD. Check out Barkley’s videos on EF – lack of ability to control saying or acting what’s being thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cw8jHUkHiA

and I picked this quote up from another site regarding ADD:

>>a disorder of impulse control. ADD children do things other kids think of, but don’t actually do. The urge to act is not being inhibited. The first response is the immediate response.<<

We not only are impatient, but we blurt out what comes to mind. Not always a good thing but not always easy to control if you have ADHD severe enough. (thus road-rage and anger issues are common in adults with ADHD) Ask me if that new outfit makes your butt look big – if I think it does, I’m going to say so, and so would a lot of ADHD folks. It sort of goes along with it. (I’m also quite honest about my thoughts and don’t like to sugar-coat things)

Like the doc says – others are indeed thinking it – but the ADHD person lacks the control to not act on those thought – so the ADHD person says or does what they are thinking.

Some ADHD folks can not get around that – and for others, meds help, and for a few with ADHD that’s not so severe, they can “work on it”. I’ve “worked on it” for over 50 years – I do think that some days the adderall is beginning to help – at least my wife seems to notice a difference. I’m not quite as short with her the last few weeks, and when she asks for help, I now come running or let her know I’ll be right there. I used to let her know I was quite annoyed by the interruption or would help when I got time (another ADHD trait)

Since most of these are ADHD traits or “symptoms” just thinking them away won’t always work – it’s not a personality trait in all cases…….. and with the severity and level i’ve got it – some of it may never change, some may with the meds and concentration, and some things like the doctors have sid this summer, I can only deal with by changing the environment – if distraction are a problem, get into a situation or work environment with fewer distractions. 2 doctors suggested a change in my work hours, and closing my office door to be able to get more work done better – those were recently approved as reasonable accommodations at work, thanks to the doctors pretty much prescribing those things.

Being impatient with some folks I think I can learn to deal with a bit………… I’ve already seen a bit of improvment lately- but it was nearly impossible for me pre-medication, so it’s apaprently opened the door and allowed me to step through it. I just have to keep it in mind at all times (and keep working with the doctors)

>>If you truly want to make and keep friends you must do something differently. That whole insanity definition fits here….. <<

LOL – sorry, but the “just work on improving it” almost sounds like the old school days when teachers said “he could do better if he only worked harder at it”. ouch.

BTW I had a thought on that insanity thing – if going by that, then all fishermen are thus insane? Don’t they keep casting their lines, hoping that next time they catch something evenn if it failed the previous 10 times? ;-)

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

The fisherman did do something different. They took Jesus fishing the next time out. He always catches fish.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

bill, thanks, those comments from your doc are interesting and perhaps relevant for me too. I won’t put myself in the high IQ sector, although I was once labelled gifted in math (a laugh, really, arithmetic was my worst subject), but there was no special education for that, we just worked on our own in the corner. Not good for someone who has trouble staying on task and is distracted easily.

I am coming to the same conclusions myself, I can’t work with other people, maybe one person but they have to be quiet and not “needy”. I can’t work if people are coming and going or the phone is ringing or I’m responding to emails. Unfortunately I never knew this was part of a disorder that I might have been able to get my employer to accommodate. In one job, where I was a manager, people talked a lot behind my back and it caused enough trouble that I eventually left (but not without finding another job to go to, where I didn’t have to supervise anyone). Eventually the second job ended up with me in a large open office, with 3 or 4 staff reporting to me, very noisy, lots of stress, taking work home or working very late, eventually I left that too.

I think it’s incredibly rude for people to just “show up” at your house without warning, even if they are family (I live several hours away from any of my family). Also rude to make a lengthy call to me because I won’t know how to politely say “I have to go” (thinking of those Frasier shows where he pretends that his cellphone rang in his pocket).

I also have activities that I do that help to balance me, I haven’t done some of them in years and perhaps I need to get back to them. They are all solo but creative activities.

One thing does concern me and that is the isolation and lack of socialization, if my husband passed away, I would be very alone. As I get older, I worry a little about how I will take care of myself. I don’t prepare meals, have no idea how to repair things, etc. and dealing with people and bills is frustrating!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)