Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How long on medication?

How long on medication?2009-12-04T15:19:56+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication How long on medication?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

purlgurl

I’m just wondering how long people have been/were on medication? I started in the summer, and noticed big improvements right away (I’m on Ritalin SR 20mg 3x daily – tried Biphentin, and it really didn’t agree with me – going to experiment with Concerta once I am through exams. Also, I have been on Wellbutrin for several years, due to previous episodes of depression. /tangent).

I also really notice it when I forget to take the meds (I get really sleepy in the middle of the day, go off on wild tangents, when I’m talking to people I can even trail off as I try to stay on-topic, have trouble staying focused, etc.). At least I’m aware of these problems now, when before I wasn’t, but I know that the consensus is that meds should only be a short-term kind of thing – I don’t know that any of these issues could be improved by changing my habits?

Thoughts appreciated! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi purlgurl,

I have been on meds for almost 7 years now. ( wow.. it doesn’t seem like that long)

I started on Ritalin, switched to Concerta and am now on Adderall.

It has had a huge positive impact on all areas of my life, but meds are definitely not the total answer.

Love the tangent tags. :)

REPORT ABUSE

purlgurl

Thanks, Indigenuity. :) I have been doing some really good work on mindfulness with a counsellor at my school (I “get” a lot of Buddhist concepts now, on a gut level, that I only intellectually engaged with in my early 20s – that has been really awesome), which has been very helpful in school, work, and for my overall mental well-being. Next semester we’re going to tackle building sustainable physical health habits – I’m hoping that that might help with some of the symptoms that I mentioned above.

Good to hear that no one has kicked you off your meds yet. :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Guys! I have been on Adderall XR now for twenty months now. It is the difference between night and day.

I am having difficulty finding any professional help in my area though. But I am glad that I at least am able to get my medicine.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been on medications forever. I now take 40mg Focalin XR twice a day which seems to work well, unfortunately due to the way I metabolize meds and the fact that my ADHD is severe the high dose increased the anxiety and lowered my tolerance for stress. Effexor XR was added for those side affects and it works really well. Unfortunately I have also suffered from chronic insomnia since I was a child. It was my doctor who put me on the ADD meds (against my will) because as it was explained to me that unless my brain was calmed down during the day, I would not be able to sleep at night. I do not like taking so many meds but it has worked extremely well. The meds do not work like they should during PMS due to the hormones, but on the whole it’s better than being without them.

The Daytrona patch is also a good alternative for those who do not like to swallow pills or can’t remember if they took them or not.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m 58, diaged: 2000, It took six months to find my dosage… 2x20mg SR ritalin + 1x10mg ritalin 2 times a day day if not interacting with people in the evening. If I do interact in the evening I will take a 3rd dosage.

One dosage lasts 5hours for me. The 10 mg fast acting is needed to kick start in the morning, to fill the gap between dosages so my needs are met.

One note, even though evenings look relaxed and we think we do not need medication, remember that at this time you interact with your kids and your wife, maybe the most crucial time…

As an end note, my bigest factor affecting my life is being overwhelmed… so I tend to withdraw when overly stimulated.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Purlgurl,

Interesting that you mention Buddhism. :) I have started delving far more into the practical aspects of Taosim in the last year. Diet and Nutrition, breathing and exercise and lifestyle.

The breathing has been a HUGE help in helping to control a lot of the triggers that lead to self medicating.

michelmdubois,

WOW!!..lol You and I share a LOT of characteristics. I have only recently started taking adderall in the evenings(if i am going to be socializing outside of my home) and it has made a big difference in how comfortable i feel.

As i mentioned to purlgurl the taoist breathing exercises have been a huge help, especially with that feeling of being over whelmed. I can “hibernate” for days at a time if i am not careful.

taking Tai Chi or Qi Gong classes can be a great way to leran more about them. :)

REPORT ABUSE

MK

Hi,

I’ve been on meds for 17 years. Ritalin then Dexedrine then Strattera then Vyvanse. Was able to shed the antidepressant, Effexor XR, last year after having taken it for years and years and years.

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Hi, Gang!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas/Holiday….

Purlgurl:

I have been learning about Buddhism myself and a lot of the concepts such as mindfulness have been helpful for me. A good book is “The Mindful Way Through Depression” by Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn. It comes with a CD guiding you through the meditation process. Very helpful. I copied the files to my iPhone so that I can use it anytime I need a “break”

Although for people with depression and/or anxiety (I understand many ADDer’s have some of these conditions anyways…) it’s helpful just to learn how to identify when things are going out of control and techiques to lessen the impact when they occur.

Indigenuity:

Last fall I enrolled for TaiChi instruction and I’m really impressed on how it has helped me. I can feel things happening on a molecular level. Certainly made me more centered and calmer generally. I think it has something to do with improving blood flow in the brain as well as the rest of the body.

It was a little daunting at first. Because of the ADD, my learning style is somewhat different. I need to repeat things several million times before I finally get it. Not to mention a roomful of people waving arms and turning and such. And for a person with attentiion deficit, well, you can imagine how easy it was to loss you focus. I think Rick Greene had alluded Tai Chi in one of his blogs and being like ” a bunch of line dancers stuck in molasses”… you get the picture.

However, it’s coming together and it allows me a chance to “get control of my mind” for a few minutes. The average Tai Chi set takes around twenty minutes and consists of 108 moves. But some of the moves are repeated several times.

I mentioned my ADD to my instructor and she has been very accomodating. I said that I need to be immediately beside her just to reassure her I wasn’t a “stalker”. Even to the point that it would be helpful for me if she could wear one white shoe and one black shoe so I can see the position of her legs and feet during the set because of the distraction of being among other people.

The Taoist Tai Chi society goes to great lengths to separate the physical activity and the spiritual practice. You can pursue that aspect should you decide and the Soceity can direct you in that area. It’s not like a fanatic religious cult….

It may be worth your while to contact your local chapter and find out when they have an open house. The society is celebating it’s 40th anniversary in 2010 and there will be a lot of activity to promote the health benefits of Tai Chi.

I hope this helps and Good Luck

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi ADDled,

I have been a follower of taosim before but lost my Way. I would still consider it the foundation of my belief system though.

I had started taking Qi Gong,Chin Na, Staff Training and Southern Mantis Kung Fu earlier this year and found it fantastic but a little overwhelming. Too many things to absorb at one time.

I am going to go back when i return from a 2 week holiday (learning to surf in Uruguay) and this time focus one just one or two aspects of the training.

One of my fellow classmates recommended a book called “The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity” by Daniel Reid which has been incredibly helpful in a very practical way.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

People have been on meds for over 20 years (see study by Weiss and Hechtman) the longest cohort study around. Add in the fact that the meds have been around for over 50 years, you know that they are generally safe.

But…..ADHD management is about lifestyle change. As Indigenuity and ADDled suggest, it is about finding lifestyle choices that matter. The most important factor is that you have control over the duration and timing of the medications.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey mklmsw can i ask you how you got on with strattera? i am on them for about four months and still on low dose 25mg.. i have found myslef gettin really depresssed again so upped my antidespressent, and if this doesn help then mayb i need to give up strattera, i have read verry bad reviews of it and i worry if i should contine, i worry that my docter will jusst say that as things are being sloewd down due to the meds i will now feel thing s more and stick with them but whtat if its that they are wrong for me abd cause me harm, how did you find them? i hope you are well, chips

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey mklmsw can i ask you how you got on with strattera? i am on them for about four months and still on low dose 25mg.. i have found myslef gettin really depresssed again so upped my antidespressent, and if this doesn help then mayb i need to give up strattera, i have read verry bad reviews of it and i worry if i should contine, i worry that my docter will jusst say that as things are being sloewd down due to the meds i will now feel thing s more and stick with them but whtat if its that they are wrong for me abd cause me harm, how did you find them? i hope you are well, chips

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

To get a treatment effect, chips, you have to go to the therapeutic dose of at least 1 mg/kg/day. However, if you feel that bad, stop the Strattera and just work on the depression for now and then treat what is left over. Your own doctor should keep an eye on you to ensure you are not having adverse effects.

Some people are just very sensitive to the meds.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey dr j. tjankyou for reply.. i didnt understand what you meant, sorry.. do you mean start with 1mg of strattera a day? and increase then? sorry im a bit slow!! ..my doctor just says i bound to be feeling things more now that my brain is being slowed down, which i geuss makes sense.. i also read that strattera is meant only for short term use becasue it builds up in the body not like stimulant drugs, is that just a formality warning or is it safe for long term like the other type of drugs? thankyou

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)