Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How Many Musicians Are Out There

How Many Musicians Are Out There2011-02-28T18:19:58+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other How Many Musicians Are Out There

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey you know….. I keep seeing things that hint at folks being musicians. This is not an issue thread just a fun chat!!!!

I am a musician….I play lead, slide guitar and harp…also a little background vocals. I have working band we gig maybe once a month, everybody pretty well has full time jobs and family except good ol retired me.

My Band is called “Eddie and the House Rockers”… we are primarily a blues and rock-a-billy (ish) band.

– we are six piece band, two vocalists male and female, piano, lead, and rhythm guitar, bass and drums.

Just checkin you guys out…… a fun thread!! Sometimes it’s just about fun….

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I am musician, but I only play by myself. I get really bad stage fright. I play piano, but clarinet is my instrument. I sing too and us to do choir, but now that I finished school that is over, so now I sing in the bath. Jazz, classical, romance, on clarinet; waltz, folk, blues, rock, on piano is what music I play.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a harp player, although i dabble on the bongo, piano, am learning guitar. I love playing with lots of different percussion instruments, and of course, singing. Music is a passion. I’m very eclectic but love the blues. I’m a regular volunteer at the Winnipeg Folk Festival and the Fargo Blues Fest.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well isn’t this cool……..I’m sure there are more to come!!!!!! I think there is a Bass player out there too…..but…. like I say I’m sure there is more to come.

Nice to hear there are accomplished musical people at the site. We’ll stay tuned…..

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tinker with the flute

K

REPORT ABUSE

Orion

Drummer … lifelong …. I dream drum beats, perfect fit for my restless limbs. Also dabble in guitar, bass guitar and harmonica…

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

in order or current importance to me(tends to change after time:

Ukulele

Guitar

Saxaphone

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I have a lot of trouble with juggling multiple tasks, like playing separate things with each hand, so I’m a singer. I also have trouble picking out and carrying a harmony line, so I sing as a soloist, or in the soprano chorus (since it’s either the melody or above the blend of the lower parts).

Singing comes very easily to me. I can’t pull a note out of thin air and identify the pitch, but I quickly pick up songs by ear. I scored the highest marks in the district when I took my first two Royal Conservatory singing exams, but decided that I preferred to sing for pleasure, rather than study it formally. This is why I say that my voice was trained, but it escaped and returned to the wild. And with serious vocal power and a 3-octave range, it’s pretty wild.

My other musical history:

Mom made me take piano lessons for 8 years, before she finally realized that, if I didn’t enjoy it, I wasn’t going to learn it. Learned to read music, but still have to fiddle around to figure out what the chords are, both on the page and on the piano. Even the 2-note chords which, technically, don’t qualify as chords. At least I can plunk out the tunes when I’m learning songs from sheet music.

Played clarinet in grade 7 & 8. Quite easy, because it didn’t involve chords. Too bad it’s impossible to sing & play clarinet simultaneously.

Tried guitar & ukelele while in university. As with piano, had a lot of trouble with every chord change. Learned to play a couple of songs…haltingly. Still have guitar and ukelele, in case I decide to try again…or need them for props.

REPORT ABUSE

jpsimard

I’m a classically trained singer, a bass baritone to be exact. I have a BA double honours in Music and Theatre that took me ten years (before diagnosis of ADD) to complete. My love for the craft is the only thing that kept me going! I sing primarily opera, but also dabble in musical theatre and jazz.

I also play the trumpet (and it’s derivatives) and the french horn fairly well, and I’m self taught on piano and guitar.

So yes. Another musician in the house. ;)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow…. I had a feeling we (ADD people) would be all over this site. Music, music, music…….. makes my heart jump just thinking about you all!!!. Such a varied selection of folks, varied musical accomplishments and tastes. Wow… that’s all I can say.

There is something about music and the ADD brain that seem to co-exist like apple pie and ice cream. I notice that when I play I’m right there, if you know what I mean, very alive…. most of our music (my band anyway) the solos are improvised ( blues) and it all seems to be so right on a great night.

I can also sit and noddle on my guitar for hours and hours, day after day… it never seems to get old……ever!!! Nothing compares to turning up, throwing down for a crowd, and blowing a bar away….. filling the dance floor…. and holding them there for the night!!!! Woohooo….. thanks for sharing you guys…. this is great!!!!

I’m so glad this thread took off…thanks again..

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My only connection to music is through the years of lessons I used to sit through for my 3 kids. My youngest daughter now holds a bachelor’s degree in piano and currently teaches music way out west in chilly AB. Her desperate plea to me, “Please mom, promise me you’ll never teach music to your class!”

Yeah, I don’t teach my class music now but who knows what my principal has in store for me next year. However, I sure enjoy listening to music!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been a musician for over 40 years, starting with sax in grade school, and then as a guitarist from high school on. I have lived all over, played in all kinds of bands (including the US Army Band) over the year. I have not gotten particularly good though I have been at it for so long. This is mainly because I could never concentrate well enough to get licks off of records as well as most people. Every town had a better guitar player or two, and really, these folks were not particularly bright or creative people, they could just concentrate and learn. I’m best at improvising, and best at group improv, ala Jerry Garcia. Not much call for this kind of skill, I’m afraid, but it is very ADD: I’m able to navigate in chaos and spontaneously intuit and create. Playing standard parts in cover bands? Torture! I can do it, but it takes an aggravating amount of discipline and is definitely not my strong suit. Anybody else like this???

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I played violin (and some cello) from about the third grade on. I still have my violin, but it got damaged by heat and humidity and it won’t stay in tune. I never really considered myself a musician because I can’t improvise; I can’t play by ear and none of it really comes naturally to me. I think I stayed with it so long because it was a relatively easy grade to get, and I made a lot of friends who were ‘special’ in their own ways. We got along really well–and still do to this very day.

I’ve always been envious of people who could pick up an instrument and sound better than I could after years and years of lessons and practice.

I did get to go to Europe with a large orchestra of teenagers, which was fun, but kind of a joke musically speaking. I liked it because the group I was in was large enough that I could fake my way through it. :p

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

on writing a song about ADHD-

Has anyone tried? Any sucess? I’ve made half hearted attempts but never wrote anything down, never could keep focused on it long enough (not trying to be funny). Just currious I googled ADD, and ADHD songs, and didnt come up with much, of course i got distracted after about 5 minutes and felt overwhelmed by the google results.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)