Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

How Many Musicians Are Out There

How Many Musicians Are Out There2011-02-28T18:19:58+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Other How Many Musicians Are Out There

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a song about ADHD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn9yOZQNok

It was writen and produced from the guy who actually has ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

ADHD inattentive here…playing music is one of the few things I do that puts me in the zone. Everything else disappears and my mind is focused. I took piano lessons for maybe 7 years on and off and had a very hard time reading music. I know what it all means but couldn’t take in all those notes at once! I can with simple stuff, but when I started learning some classical pieces it got very frustrating. My teachers would get very annoyed with me because I would memorize quickly and not be reading the notes. Now I’ve gone back to playing stuff by ear and just making up my own songs. I’m taking guitar lessons now and I love it, but I sense my teacher gets a bit frustrated with my tendency to ask countless questions and shift gears so quickly. I finally told him I had ADHD and if he didn’t give me structured things to practice that I’d just go off in all kinds of directions, which can be great, but needs to be tempered with solid practice of what he gives me to learn. Fortunately he’s very laid back and goes with the flow for the most part.

I think the rhythms in music, whether playing or listening, are especially soothing for us. Music has been my therapy, emotional outlet, and joy for years.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes JJy…I totally relate. A world without music….. I can hardly imagine. Music has given me hours and hours…. actually …a lifetime of pleasure and creativity.

So nice too see so many people that music touches in such a good way……live…laugh…hear the music.

When I visit “the site” I almost always poke my nose in this thread to see who new has posted……..I get a nice feeling from you folks.

thanks all…..

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

powcat

I play keyboard and sing. I’ve been performing in Toronto the last few years.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am a classically trained soprano. I’m finishing up my grad degree right now. I’ve always had to have music in my life and my ipod is my favorite possession. Music always helps me get things done and take some of the pressure off my brain. The rhythm and the words are medicinal I think.

REPORT ABUSE

Dennis

Taught myself to play guitar (poorly) going on ten years. I was 43 then. I’ve just stepped up to electric!

There is a couple of other instruments I play exceptionally well, although they are not instruments in usual sense.

– the steering wheel-dashboard-leather seat combo.

– the kitchen table, when I can find the surface of it.

– elevator handrails.

– range hood.

There are more that I don’t recall at the moment.

😉

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hahahahahhaha……Dennis…If I had a dime for every time my partner reaches over and puts her hands over mine to silence them….wow I’d be a wealthy dude!!! Really funny……all surfaces provide opportunity!!!!!!

For any readers out there…there is a great book on rhythm it’s called Drumming at the Edge of Magic. Mikey Hart drummer for the Grateful Dead wrote it, it tells the compelling tale of his quest to share the power, myths, and legends of percussion through time religion and culture. It is very well written and a nice read…… I though anyway. Not so much about being a drummer really but more he speaks to the role of rhythm and how it has permeated culture through time. Just a tid-bit for you..

toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guitarist. Product of the “classic rock” era. Don’t play nearly as much as I’d like. Favorite: RUSH.

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Played flute for 15 years and even made it to first chair in HS. Although, sadly I wanted to play the saxaphone but was told it was a boys instrument. Fast moving fingers came in handy.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been learning Ukelele plus I do art… I do have good rythm but I learn my hearing the music and reading the cord…. I love old blues it is unreal what you can play on the Ukelele …Clamdigger

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been playing the violin since the age of 6.

My Mum told me that my first violin teacher was desperate because I could not stand on my feet. I would be always moving on one foot while playing…

My second violin teacher told my mum that she should check if I needed glasses, because I made so many reading mistakes…

Now 26, and I got the ADD diagnosis for 3weeks now :-)

Violin is great, especially when I need to study for my university exams. I play 30minutes or even sometimes 2 hours and then I can focus much better!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

I love to sing. I’m been doing it since I was 17. Too bad I lack the auditory memory to be a singer. If I get depressed and want to feel better, I do it for a hour or two. It works well for a case of the blues.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

I love learning musical instruments – voice, guitar, piano, flute, piccolo, oboe, clarinet, sax – whatever I can get my hands on. I played sax in bands for years, but quit when I got married. Now I mainly just sing and play guitar with friends now – with the occasional flute gig if someone twists my arm… My latest passion – recording the great musicians I know! It’s like a music documentation thing because I know these guitar players that just make up the greatest songs, and don’t even realize how amazing they are! I just have to get it recorded before it’s lost. I am really good at learning how to operate machines and instruments – I’m kind of a mathematical kind of person. But I don’t have that talent for creating lyrics and melodies from scratch – I am just so amazed with anyone who can do that well! I quit my music major when I couldn’t memorize a flute concerto (and other issues). I also have a great voice, but can’t for the life of me memorize lyrics to songs. I am also amazed with people who can do that!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried to learn the violin when I was in my twenties and three years later I was still playing put it wasn’t a good instrument for me…. So I just have fun with Ukelele it was easier .. I look for the song on youtube so I can hear it then play the music but I can only play three cord… But it is fun… I can play tamporeen I don’t think it is spelled that way… I do have good rthym…I love old blues from down south… when i lived in Toronto I seen Down Child Blues band. Used to go to Young St area to listen to the bands.. Zanza Bar I think it is spelled that way… did any one catch the Seen on rock down town Toronto on Brovo it was really cool to see how downtown Toronto was… In the Sixty and Seventies… I have good memories in the seventy.. RoshDale and the whole seen back then…. You could walk around at night with out to many worries it was a great time to be young…..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another muso here! I started playing guitar when I turned 18, back in 1972, played in rock bands back in the 70s, fancied myself to be hot stuff! Montreal in the 70s was a really great place to be a musician, so many good bands around back then, lots of great players too! Then in 2007 I took up the bass, and i’ve been loving it since! I now play bass in an original band that’s on the verge of breaking out, and at the ripe old age of 57 I’m having the time of my life. Hopefully this ride I’m on will last me the rest of my life!

Oh, I can also play simple chords on the keys and sing a bit of backing vocals. I’m a muso all the way!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)