Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Integrated Listening Systems – Dr Hallowell

Integrated Listening Systems – Dr Hallowell2010-05-26T02:06:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Alternative Therapies Integrated Listening Systems – Dr Hallowell

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, munchkin. I do feel I fit into the category. My son’s vestibular disorder looks so much like ADHD that schools give it that “label.” I certainly am affected by it, daily.

Yes, I have been genuinely sharing my own experience.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Joyce63 – keep us up to date with your experiences with ILS. It seems to me you were quite up front in saying that your use was not for ADHD, but something similar. Just like one of the ADHD meds may or may not work for an individual, ILS may or may not be of benefit to one with ADHD. It’s a decision that should be made on an individual basis. The more information a person has, the better their decision is likely to be. Your experiences can be of value to someone considering ILS.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

kc5jck, I love your cat picture. I have two Bengals, and there is a resemblance :)

Yes, I will keep you informed. As of now, I have finished 26 hours of my own three appropriate programs (Calming Preparation, and Optimal Performance I and II) and have 32 hours to go. My son is almost halfway through his first 60 hour program (which targets sensory motor neurology). After that, I will have a choice (depending on his response) to either repeat Sensory Motor, or move to 40 hours of Attention and Concentration (higher hz frequencies). After that, he may receive 40 hours in the Auditory Processing hz range (a little higher than Attention and Concentration). All of this will be based on his responses throughout the series. I foresee that we will be using this program 6 days/week for him for the next year.

Yes, there is a financial investment, but I see that there is more of a time investment in this approach. I applaud parents who commit to driving their child to the required number of sessions (a minimum of three times/week is recommended, up to 6 or 7 times a week is ok — the shortest program for children is 40 hours).

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Joyce63 – The cat is a serval we had about ten years ago. Currently, one of our ten is a Cheetoh, half Bengal and half Ocicat. There seem to ba a lot of cat people on this site. We also have two Pixie Bobs, a Russian Blue, and two Maine Coons.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Larynxa

I do not think your comments are warranted in term of accusing someone of blatant misrepresentation.

New therapies emerge all the time. The clinicians advocating ILS are not quacks or people who misrepresent.

They are innovators and leaders in advancing clinical practice in ADHD.

Also the experience of others that are using ILS for other disorders add to the knowledge base of everyone.

Practical use of the device is important to share. Yes new technology costs $$$. When it becomes mainstream

the price goes down. (economies of scale)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

oh i think that being suspicious is extremely reasonable, in fact, until companies offer money back refunds if their

expensive and often unproven claims fail to provide good results, then why should we allow ourselves to be gulled.

yeah there are many cures and many kinds of snake oil and we have seen more of the latter than the former

so really, if it is such a hot stuff deal, where are the guarantees .. they are in the same void as those for other

promises that can not be kept because we are not talking about definates or absolutes, but we are talking about

money and unless i sell my ass into politics, well then i have to earn my money so let us be less casual about money.

on a more real world note, exercise, real, fresh food, lots of water and a good coach/therapist/massage person

they all seem to help the adhd gremlins

hi Too-fat .. thankyou .. and hello to the rest of us here who have adhd .. lovin it or not .. Trashman hope you are well … hi

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

kc5jck, a real serval? Not a Savammah, mixed serval and domestic? I love my Bengals, but considered a Savannah two years ago. I could not afford one. But sometime in the future I want to explore Savannahs. What kind of personality did your serval have?

My Bengal breeder (and friend) put the question to me. Can you imagine giving a cat that size medicine that it doesn’t want? I know my Bengals give me a challenge with any medications (which fortunately are rare). Would your serval let you?

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Joyce63 – CJ (the serval) was a great pet. In all respects, except for size, he fell within the norms for a house cat. He liked to be part of the activities, but did not like to be held. He slept in bed with us, liked to be petted, would come to the door to meet me in the evening, was quite intellegent, played with and got along with the other cats, and would be a constant source of amusement. He was not the least bit vicious or wild (except when we brought out the feather duster). On the rare occasion that he would hiss or spit it was really funny because it was so out of character for him.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

tea –

My previous job was to assess medical technology for multinationals cor[orations who acquire (purchase) technology through in-licensing from R&D companies. We performed a comprehensive due diligence/evaluation on all products.

Part of the assessment is using independent medical experts (clinicians) to evaluate the technology from a clinical effectiveness standpoint. In this case you have well know authorities who are supporting the ILS use.

Another level of investigation is to study the use of the product in different indication areas (e.g., ADHD, autism, etc.) with patients.

Medical device manufacturers cannot offer a 100% guarantee that it will work in all patients. Particularly when the product cost is high. Also medical equipment has to be used properly in order to achieve a positive outcome. In some cases it does involved training and certification.

There are other medical technologies (non-drug) that have been used to treat depression and other disorders. It has been found to useful in some patients where they have not responded to conventional drug therapy.

As a consumer/patient we need to do our own research (due diligence) and look at published reviews and also what clinicians are supporting its use. If you can’t find legitimate published studies or credible medical experts advocating its use then you should be suspect of the product value

Finally the medical community does not immediately adopt new technology. The experts like Dr. Hallowell (has ADHD himself and children with ADHD) provide balanced opinions on products. if you read the book ‘Delivered from Distraction” Dr Hallowell and Dr Ratey review many different forms of treatment (drugs, natural supplements,etc.). Because it was published in 2005 it does not include a review of ILS. ILS has gained support since that time.

I am very skeptical when I see things written as natural cures or remedies for ADHD. That tends to be ‘snake oil’ However Omega 3’s for example have found to be very beneficial in helping increase concentration. There are many other nutrients that are beneficial

People who participate in this forum come from many backgrounds and experiences. I have learned from many people.

This is an interesting link which is a blog from a writer who has children and has looked at ILS

http://www.hartleysboys.com/2011/05/what-is-integrated-listening-systems.html

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, Robert, for the link. I have skimmed it, and will read it in depth later, and post a comment on it.

Back to the original question — Does anyone have experience with Integrated Listening Systems?

I just completed my 17th (out of 24) hour of Optimal Performance 1 (about half an hour ago). I have been working at 3000hz frequency for the past 5 hours of iLs time (I do an hour every other day, by personal choice). The 17th hour started to come down to the 2000hz range. I felt energized and centered for the first three 15 minute tracks. During the last 15 minute track, I felt a slight amount of vertigo, which increased when I removed the headphones. Then for about 5 minutes I felt a strong sensation, slightly uncomfortable, in my upper forehead region, inside my forehead, more pronounced on my right side. I also felt a bit nauseous. At that point, I looked up what had happened on track 4, and learned that it was enhanced high spectrum (which means that higher frequencies were boosted to heighten the perception of high frequency sounds). Eating two slices of fresh home baked bread with a glass milk settled my stomach and head.

The only reason I’m going into such detail is to inform any interested viewers that something physical happens during the iLs sessions. My son does not go into detail about what he feels, but I can do so.

Why do I put myself through occasional discomfort from the sessions? First, a great sense of well being is what usually happens. During the times it feels uncomfortable (these are rare), I am trusting the theory that my neural pathways are being stimulated in specific regions that were not functioning optimally.

In general, since I began using iLs, I feel that I am more effective in the responsibilities of my life. I know that I am doing a better job of parenting the special needs child I have adopted (he is the reason I looked into iLs in the first place). I am more proactive with him, rather than reactive to his mood swings and sometimes difficult behavior.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it is important to weigh in on this.

I frankly don’t know anything about Integrate Listening Systems (ILS) but it is evident that it is polarizing the people in this forum because it appears that the push to sell something may be evident (rightly or wrongly). Sooooo….the discussion has moved sufficiently that people have expressed their points of views. Open discussion is important but I would caution that we are not a site that is trying to push a product but want all individuals to be good consumers.

I am going to END the conversation here. Further posts will be deleted. Until I have investigated this further to determine the actual value of this amongst my peers, I think we should wait. I will try to confirm this expeditiously so be patient.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have waited for follow up on the last post by Dr. J. I know that professionals are very busy with other obligations.

I want to thank Robert for confirming that Dr. Hallowell is a valuable resource. Based on Robert’s comments, I did more research on Dr. Hallowell’s web site. I have added the Learning Breakthrough Program to my son’s daily exercise schedule (based on information from Dr. Hallowell.). We are using the two programs simultaneously — the theories (as I understand them) indicate that they should boost each other.

I will no longer be able to report on iLs alone, as we are not doing it alone. I am exploring alternative therapies, IF credible authorities endorse them. I am currently raising a child who cannot succeed in public school. His physical and listening exercise program is part of his daily home school curriculum.

Thank you again, Robert, for your perspective.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joyce,

I am glad you found the Hallowell site useful. As a patient being treated for Adult ADD I have found them to be

a highly credible source of information. They have a reputation forf using the latest treatment but only if it provides

value to their patients.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

R O F L A O

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello. We appreciate the discussion on this forum and would like you to know that we are open to answering any questions you may have about the iLs Program, directly, as well.

Please contact us at contact@integratedlistening.com or 303.741.4544 with any questions.

You may find case studies and ongoing research information on our website: http://www.integratedlistening.com/research-science/

Free informational webinars are available for parents, as well as professionals, which may address many of your questions: http://www.integratedlistening.com/training/ils-webinars/

Thank you!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)