Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Integrated Listening Systems – Dr Hallowell

Integrated Listening Systems – Dr Hallowell2010-05-26T02:06:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Alternative Therapies Integrated Listening Systems – Dr Hallowell

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there! Just signed up to this site so I could give input on this post. My daughter is 2 weeks from completting ILS. I has been nothing short of miraculous for us. ADHD runs on BOTH sides of my families. She also has visual and auditory processing issues but only moderate. Her reading scores increased an entire grade level in just a few months. She is calmer too. Not as many accidents where she hurts mom with her clumsyness. Not sure where you are getting that price from. It is covered by insurance. We went to a place called Kids Kount Therapy service in my area. I was recommended by a psychologist who put her own child through the program.

I love naysayers. In a world where people just give up to soon and medicate their kids, it is easy to make excuses. I did this program to keep my child off meds at an early age. I watched my brother and cousin get medicated back in the 80’s. My cousin suffered migraines from the medication. I am currently watching my friends child turn in to a skin picker on focalin. Me, I was never medicated, just adapted. Love my Cellexa now. It slows down my brain, without it feeling foggy! The information to support WHY this works and how long it has been used in Europe is out there. Funny thing is when I heard how it worked, it clicked and made perfect sense. I never doubted it. It’s been a miracle for us! She loves the sessions and her therapist. They make it fun. Why is so hard to understand you can rewire neural connections? http://www.integratedlistening.com/research-science/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have some new information that may interest some.

In May, 2011, my son (the one I referred to in earlier posts) had an extensive sensory evaluation. One particular test of his vestibular system involved spinning him at a prescribed rate for 10 revolutions, then stopping the spinning and timing the duration of a reflexive eye tick. The test was repeated by spinning in the opposite direction. His reflex (postrotary nystagmus) was 1.78 standard deviations below the norm for his age.

Upon recommendation by his occupational therapist, I embarked on a daily immersion in therapy targed toward stimulating his vestibular system, which involved daily (or almost daily) stimulating activities (roller coaster riding, spinning, swinging, riding a skateboard on his belly, and more). He was showing some gains in his physical abilities (coordination), but behavior started getting worse, to the point of kicking doors and hitting walls when he didn’t get his way.

I continued researching what more could help my son, and found information about Integrated Listening Systems (iLs) fall of last year. The theory supported what I had been doing with the therapeutic activities, and I took distance training, then began implementing the program at home in late December. Since then, I have been using iLs with him almost daily, along with other physical activities that theoretically help normalize the neurological system. I have consulted with iLs staff along the way, getting recommendations about which programs to use with my son. He became an easier child to live with in many ways, and everyone who sees him says he is considerably calmer, more regulated. He doesn’t kick doors or hit walls anymore — that behavior was gone in January.

What I want to report now is that he had the postrotary nystagmus test again last week, by the same licensed professional (14 months after he tested 1.78 standard deviations below norm). This reflex (which is a direct measurement of the efficiency of the vestibular system) is now in NORMAL limits! From -1.78 SD to normal in 14 months is remarkable. We have not used pharmaceutical drugs.

Was this growth entirely from iLs? I don’t think so. The movement and balance exercises were also a part of the picture. I also added Learning Breakthrough Equipment (endorsed by Dr. Hallowell) to the iLs routine in late February. I think everything contributed. But I think iLs played a significant part in my child’s neurological growth. His OT said that his greatest gains showed when I started using iLs with him.

My son has new sensory integration goals now. We will continue with iLs while we focus on his bilateral integration (he still has a learning disability that shows most in writing, and lack of bilateral integration is likely causing it). We move forward with the knowledge that his vestibular function is now intact and that his neurological system can normalize.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joyce, I so appreciate you sharing your story! I want to use iLs with my son (hoping to find a used or rental system) who has vestibular issues, sensory sensitivity and auditory processing issues. I recently began with cranial electrotherapy stimulation treatments which improved his sleep considerably (he’s been waking up 6:30AM on his own and well rested which never happened before) which winds up helping all his other issues. In our case I am not so concerned about his issues at home but two of his teachers have complained relentlessly…so I keep debating whether to change schools (all other options are likely to have way higher sensory demand) or pursue treatments or both. Again many thanks for sharing your story, I wish 20 more people would do the same.

REPORT ABUSE

Ginniebean

Yeesh, I want real data not a bunch of stereotypical woo testimonials. Dr. Hallowell is indeed an expert and well recognized, and he is not above question for his willingness to make money by participating in the promotion of “treatments” that lack evidence.

Appeals to authority aren’t that impressive if there is no solid evidence. I’m with larnyxa on this, ADHD is a lightening rod for anyone with snake oil to sell.

Parents are looking for miracles which makes for a highly exploitable group of people.

Forums like this attract marketers who aren’t always above board and use ethically questionable means to promote their product. Consumer beware.

REPORT ABUSE

princess1nv

It’s working for me!!! And I am grateful!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)