Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Irony

Irony2011-03-11T05:13:27+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

alfadog67

The phone number for “Hooked on Phonics” is 1-800-ABCDEFG, but if you don’t know your alphabet, what do you do?

I feel just like that when researching my ADD.

I can’t read the forum, because I can’t pay attention to it. It took me about 20 minutes just to write this so far.

I got 9/9 and 8/9 on the self-test.

How do I get a doctor to agree that I have ADD and subscribe Ritalin?

At 43, am I even a candidate for it?

Ok we’re at 27 minutes – not bad.

Thanks everybody!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was thinking about that the other day, about how ironic it is that we’re all pouring out our hearts to a bunch of other people who probably can’t make it halfway through our posts. It’s like having a painting contest at a school for the blind.

Make an appointment with your doctor. If you already see a psychiatrist, make the appt with him/her.

Bring a copy of the self assessment with your answers on it with you to the appt.

Make an additional list of all of the reasons you think you have ADD, and if you can remember any related experiences from your childhood, that’s helpful too. Bring that with you as well.

Make a list of all of the ways you feel the symptoms are negatively affecting your life at the present time.

He/she will probably ask you some questions and ask you to take a test or two.

Then, if the doc agrees with your self diagnosis, he/she will probably give you medication on a trial basis to see if you respond to it.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sorry, what was the question?

REPORT ABUSE

alfadog67

Hi brentitude – thanks for the answer. I apologize for asking you to point out what should be obvious – I suppose I just felt like blithering a bit.

As for the painting contest – exactly right. I seem to skip completely past the posts that have more than a few lines in them.

I suppose that writing long posts as well as skipping long posts are possible symptoms, eh?

Thanks for taking the time!

REPORT ABUSE

alfadog67

Hahaha good one!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have become more conscious of how I write now, making sure to insert paragraph breaks every now and then. The posts that are a page long and all one paragraph are the ones I skip. I try to read them but it really does my head in. I find myself having to draw a line under the words with my finger just to follow the sentence as it wraps to the next line, and I hate it that I sometimes have to read the same sentence five times before I can move on to the next one.

REPORT ABUSE

alfadog67

Yah, I feel your pain – I hilight my sentences with the mouse as I read them.

Usually I find myself merely reading the current word to myself before vacantly moving onto the next… No clue what point they’re trying to make. That’s usually my ripcord indicator…

I do like the audio books! I’m one of those “good listener” ADDers, so says my wife. She’s a shrink – talk about irony.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you also read like the first couple words, skip like 20 read a couple more words than go to the end of the post!!!

The virtual test was horrific! Come on, your testing ADDers!

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi just thought I would ring in ,can’t read long post even on my meds. so would be nice if this computer would read to me instead of making me read. then i think stop being so lazy. o ‘ well its good practice.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you also read like the first couple words, skip like 20 read a couple more words than go to the end of the post!!!

I have to force my eyes to stay on the word / sentence I’m reading before they jump to the end. When I was a kid, I used to read books backwards. No lie.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not much can be done about the forums, but the videos that compose most of the rest of the site should be easier to digest.

I also try to break my statements into smaller visual “chunks” so they are less intimidating.

REPORT ABUSE

alfadog67

If I focus just right, I can make out certain shapes with the spaces between the words.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do any of you guys do well with those stereogram pictures that you have to stare at to see the image in the pattern? I can do them so easily that I almost can’t not do them. If you know what I mean.

Like these: http://www.smart-kit.com/s280/stereograms-overide-normal-brain-and-eye-function/

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I couldn’t do them if you held a gun to my head. I almost saw a picture once. Almost.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

it was explained to me that ADD/HD can add a boost to your brains processing speed to max which makes it hard to read for long on one subjects you stat to jump at first words then lines and so on. but with me it’s worse then reading a book and knowing what is going to be on the next page, by the fact that i was also (first) diagnosed with a absence of a corpus callosum (the communication center between to the left and right half’s) add in a afterburner! and I’m scanning to the next chapter.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)