Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

just was put on disability indefinitely .

just was put on disability indefinitely .2011-08-23T12:56:36+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Lost/Losing My Job just was put on disability indefinitely .

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do understand, my sleep doc made me stop driving for about 5 weeks in September and said he would have to report me to the Ministry of Transportation, but with the meds and my sleep study result, he said it was ok to drive provided I was on the meds and not sleepy. So I am driving again, but now I am very careful about stopping when I am tired and letting someone else drive. I think I completely ignored how dangerous it was for me to be driving at times.

The first week for me was really hard, I am so used to driving myself everywhere and being in control, I am a terrible passenger. I also really hated having to wait for people to take me places or pick me up (no convenient public transit), so I had to modify my schedule a lot and I didn’t get as much work done as I should have.

After a week I started to get used to being just a passenger. It’s really hard to give up control and just let things be, but that’s pretty much what I had to do to get through it. I’m a nervous passenger so I let my husband know in that he needed to adjust his driving to account for my new, raw emotional state. That and the fact that freedom of some 40 years had been taken away.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

well, maybe in a while I will be able to drive again. she had only wanted to pull my commercial license,but the dmv pulled all my driving privleges.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I looked into the issue when I was told to stop driving last month but fortunately I don’t have to go this route.

In Ontario, you can appeal this if your license was revoked – there is a committee of doctors who review individual cases for the Ministry of Transportation and you would need your GP to send a letter on your behalf, etc. I think it’s mandatory for any healthcare professional to report certain disorders to the MOT like epilepsy, narcolepsy, etc. Try a google search – I did find a document that explained it more fully. At least you can find out more about what your options are now and going forward.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I have spoken to my doctor a nd she thinks it best that I have no licence at this time . right now there is no job I can do like this.so now I r received a letter telling me to apply for our provinces drug coverage.well we do that every year when we file our taxes. so for know they will have to pay till province starts to pay. I am just glad that I don,t have to try find the $800 a month to pay for all my drugs.

thanks trashman

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trashman, I live in BC, there seems to be a drug coverage program, but it doesn’t cover the Straterra 60m that I take, hard to follow their site, I get muddled.

I was following the disability idea, did that start with your psychiatrist, based on ADHD diagnosis?

I can get an appointment with one, but there are only 3 for the Island , so wait time is a month or more. She diagnosed me as ADHD and put me on straterra and wellbutrin. If it is up to the psychiatrist, I can ask, but thought I would ask if that is the route to take.

I stopped working last year, it was too difficult to focus and hard to controll impulsiveness, even for simple office work.

There seems to be some sort of Social Services op out here, but they have no information about ADHD and seemed unable to direct me to who to see. Can only do this for a short time, government stuff wears me out. Any suggestions would be wonderful, thanks.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi this is not the government disability this is a private work insurance I have not heard from the feds yet. still waiting . I am dealing with more things then adhd. hope this helps.

trashman.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Hi , just thought I wanted to give you all an update.I got a phone call yesterday from a nurse that works for cpp. she did a phone inter view and after I told her my story then she said I was approved. what a relief . so if that was knot great enough I looked at my mail ,my check from the tax department for adding my disability tax credit going back ten years. ( that is as far as you can go back in canada.) so yesterday was a very good day. FYI , the amount the plan s pay are both based on what you earned in the past

So to all a BIG THANKS for all the support

Thank-You

Trashman .

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

FANTASTIC – am so happy for you trashman! thanks for letting us know. don’t spend it all in one place heheh!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I really am truly happy that this has worked out for you. Never is a perfect solution, but sure sounds like one you can live with and a load off your mind at the very least.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Yes thanks build. It is,its like getting a well fair check it just cpp basted on what I have paid in to this point. that is based on my income. so when this starts then my work plan will only top it up. they will be paying me $843.50 per month its not much but I could live on this if I had to.we would have to sell our house but , so far we are still ok.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

I can’t help but think you have SOME skills that might be helpful for a little “extra on the side” as it were.

Anything, I mean, rare is the human that has NO skills or abilities at all.

I don’t care if the person is the building janitor – there are skills, knowledge and abilities involved.

A prime example is a person who was hired here a couple of years ago when this agency hired their own cleaning and maintenance (Before DAS took that away from us) Robert was part of this agency and as such, this was “his building”. Everything was SPOTLESS. Every bit of tile, chrome/stainless, porcelain, carpet, walls, all perfect. Paint imperfections were quickly taken care of. This was known as the cleanest building in the capital complex, in big part thanks to Robert. We were at a team building thing one day, he was there. We were to list things we thought might be important about our own jobs and how it impacted the services to our clients. He was totally convinced he had no part or role in how our clients were served. When asked about his list, he said he was “just a janitor” or cleaning person and he couldn’t see how what he did had any effect on anything. I was quite unhappy and stood right up and listed all the things he did, and how it impacted each and every one of us, and ended up impacting the services to our clients in a very big way because of us working in such a well kept place that was always clean, and the great services he gave. How his positive “hi, how are you” attitude made us all feel good and it got passed all the way up the chain. He always greeted you, no matter who you were, always friendly, helpful, never complained. I have never seen such a clean public building, let alone such clean spotless well-kept restrooms in a public building.

I got the man a few cheers. He’s important – he needed to know that he had skills, and not everyone could do what he did. We knew – we’d been through a few people before him. What a difference he made. He had people skills AND cleaning skills.

My point, long as that was, is that everyone has something to offer – list a few things you can do or like to do…….. see if you can find a place or need for them. Check in here – maybe someone will have some suggestions. Do you have phone skills, are you good talking with people? Volunteer……. it might lead to something good.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good ideas, billd. Also let everyone you know that you are looking for work, a bit of networking.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Hi Trashman,

Just wanted to say I’m glad you’ve checked in to let us know how things are working out.

Billd has made a great point – just keep your eye out for opportunities and no-dopamine makes an excellent point as well – no one can beat a path to your door if they don’t know where it is! Tell everyone you know you are looking for work. You never know how things can turn out.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

A friend and neighbor is a long-time hot rod person. You know, the “rat rods”, bucket-Ts and so on. He build ’em, fixes ’em for others and loved it as a hobby. He was getting a bit fed up with work at John Deere and reached an age (something like 52 or 54) where he decided he could live on retirement money if he trimmed back about 40%. He did – he retired.

Since then he has turned his hobby, the thing he did for kicks (and that which usually costs a lot of money), into something that now makes him money. He’s used his hobby skills for bring in supplemental income. And he’s having a ball.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

I think that’s where I am heading I think once I finish fixing up my house then I will have to move and do another one I seem to be liking this , renovating . no one here pushes me except my wife. some days she is harder than a boss to please. lol

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)