Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

just was put on disability indefinitely .

just was put on disability indefinitely .2011-08-23T12:56:36+00:00

The Forums Forums The Workplace Lost/Losing My Job just was put on disability indefinitely .

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

trashman

hi my psychiatrist has put me on disability indefinitely.I don’t know what that means for me and if my group insurance will cover me , because I have only been at this job for five months. she says it is not possible for me to keep a job. guess I am just to insecure and if they hurt my feellings then I am lost. so know I have to wait and see what I have to do next.I feel very lost at this time. I am afraid that great west life will not want to pay me and I will become homeless. has anyone else been through something like this?or can the company just take away my benifits and let me go I an so worried any in sight would be great.

THANKS trashman

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your doctor should have helped more. You need to find a social worker to see what benefits you are eligible for — like food stamps or something, maybe free medical help in the future. I also think you should see a disabilty attorney. I don’t expect that there will be a charge for the first visit — but ask to be sure. They may be able to help you get government benefits.

I really think you need to start calling around for help right away. It could take awhile for things to get decided and the longer you wait the longer it will be before you get a government disability check.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

Get a second opinion. In the mean time Bobbie40N has some excellent advice. I too am going through a difficult time. I have applied for Social Security disability more for circulation problems and depression although ADD is playing a part. I lost my last two jobs to ADD symptoms mostly from problem with switching numbers around. Find someone to go with you when you apply for food stamps and other financial and medical help. I am having difticulty filling out forms and getting things done in a timely mannor so my daughter is helping me out.

If you are fired from your job and you live in the states, they have to continue your insurance for 18 months (been there) but you still have to pay for it. I had help from my family which is a good thing because that insurance covered my husbands surgeries before he went in a nursing home under state insurance. (18 months was up).

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

thanks Iam in the middle of canada,so i don’t know what to expect.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I have no experience with disability benefits but just thought I’d google to see what came up

here’s a government of Canada site that might be helpful ( ok so ignore the fact that using the word gov’t and helpful in the same sentence is an oxmoron :-) )

http://www.pwd-online.gc.ca/pwdh.4m.2@.jsp?lang=eng&geo=ALL

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

nellie,thanks for the link love that sentence.lol

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Your welcome and good luck. I’m sure there’ll be lots of paperwork involved (not fun!)

Have you checked the Great West website for information? If you sign into your member area you may be able to read your policy and coverage information.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

it is funny that if you live i Canada and you turn 64 you are told to apply for your old age pension ,but if you die they pay that month and then cut it off. so the question I have is how can the be so efficient on the latter and yet so slow on the other end?when it comes to disability benefits I am told that that two will take up to a year.lucky for me that I know where the homeless shelters are in this city.but I am still hoping that the private insurance will be faster.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi, sorry to bother you guys but you are the only ones I can talk to. so here goes .I said my doc put me off on permanent disability, but great west lie who is the insurer for maple leaf denied my claim. so my boss called an said I start work Monday night . so I have to go to work and just pray I don’t hit any one or any thing.I will take all my meds and hope my anxiety meds will help me through they didn’t help last time I just hope it works. I would like to crawl under a rock and die. but no such luck. any advice wold be great.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you go see a disability lawyer as was suggested earlier? I’ve been to see lawyers before (an employment lawyer, for one, before signing an employment contract) and they usually give you the first 15 min free. You could try calling legal aid.

If nothing else, do the best you can and try not to worry about it as best you can. I guess that’s not easy for you, but that’s what you have to work with.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

Oh trashman!

Just a couple things that popped in my head. Do you have a diagnosis? If so, then perhaps looking into what your company does for workplace accomodations. Usually they will work with the insurance company, along with your dr. to create any accomodations that can be made for you to be able to function as best as you can.

Also start looking into what the process is if you do not agree with the the decision on your claim. They will also tell you why they denied the claim, so going to your dr with that info will help.

You are stuck in a really bad position, and your company is actually at fault in some way. If you have a dr telling you it is advised you do not go to work at this time and work is saying you have to, that potentially puts your health at risk. Now, if your claim is denied that doesnt say you need to return to work. It just means they will not be paying you your benefit. Employers have to give you the time, although it is unpaid.

Another question… Are you unionized? That would be another avenue to take as well.

Anyways, hoping this info leads you to a more positive outcome. I have worked as an HR professional in large organizations here in Canada and have seen situations like this that are handled properly, with a few that have not. Guess one good thing about working for so many differentcompanies is you see how things are done differently! Thanks adhd!

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Thanks, No such luck.I agree if we had a union then I would have some help.this is a case where they are allowed being the bully in the school grounds .so to speak. this was hard enough trying to come to terms with the fact that I am not worker material .the thing that scares me about having to drive that big rig with that load of chicken guts is that it spills very easy and it is all a judgement call. with the large amount of pills I take my sense of judgement is out. I just don’t want to kill people on the road to find out how much it is out. when it comes to my boses I am afraid that I will snap and do things to them that I can’t fix or have to do time for.I am starting to fell like a trapped animal.

so thanks for all your helpfull insight

Trashman

REPORT ABUSE

wolfshades

trashman: there is a provincial law in Ontario that allows you to refuse work that is unsafe, while not allowing the employer to penalize you. Sounds to me like this is the situation with you. Have a talk with a labour lawyer and check the provincial government website for your province: I’m sure these laws exist across Canada.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi wolfshades, I was looking at that too, but I think it refers to unsafe workplace conditions that you can refuse. It says that the company can assign someone else to do that job if you refuse.

In trashman’s case, it sounds like he is the unsafe condition. But it may be worth looking into. Leave no stone unturned.

I don’t eat Maple Leaf foods, never will again thanks to this.

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Trashman,

If the medication you are taking is causing you to be unable to drive safely then how could your employer sanction it? Is your supervisor aware of the medication you are taking?

Are you dealing with someone in the HR department or are you dealing directly with the boss about all of this? If it is the boss, perhaps you should talk directly to the HR people. If the boss is not advocating for you he may not be telling you what company policies are in effect to help you. Maybe there is another job in another department that could be available to you.

However, of course if they are just making it difficult for you in order to make you quit on your own then there’s not much you can do other than seek legal help.

And as suggested above, maybe Legal Aid would be a good idea to help point you in the right direction. Also, the psychiatrist who recommended permanent disability should at least be able to refer you to some resource to help you wade through this mess.

In the meantime here’s a link to help you find a community legal aid clinic

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/contact/contact.asp?type=cl

This link has some PDF’s related to worker rights in Ontario. They aren’t very detailed except the one related to EI.Which brings the question – are you eligible to claim EI?

http://www.cleo.on.ca/english/pub/onpub/subject/work.htm

The main Legal AId site: http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/getting/

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)