Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Loud noises???

Loud noises???2010-12-17T00:20:50+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have ADHD and I cannot stand loud noises. Cars backfiring, loud motorcycles, fireworks, loud TV’s etc. Does anyone else notice this? I do have some tactile difficulties, I cannot sleep with socks on, have to have a foot outside the covers, etc but the noise thing seems to be much stronger.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

When I was young fire alarms made me cry. I would even cover my ears and close my eyes. This continued up until fourth grade.

Now it tends to be open boxes and yelling.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Tweetergor and laddybug3!

If you go to the ‘Forum’ and under the heading ‘Tools, techniques and treatments’

scroll down and you’ll see ‘Solution to sound sensitivity’….

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you read!

You are definitely not alone!

: ))

REPORT ABUSE

billd

It’s really strange that I need the TV loud so I can hear it (I do actually have some real life hearing loss, too – making things really bad) but then when the house gets quiet and an ad comes on, I go nuts as the loud TV is making me crazy.

I go to drag races and stand next to the pit and staging area, near where they line up. Ya know, open headers on a screaming 700 HP engine, etc. and I don’t seem to mind that. I run a 1936 F20 tractor that came with no muffler – they didn’t really use true mufflers back then. I don’t mind that. My antique engines run with a nice calming rythm and I like to start then, pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy the sounds.

But a screaming guitar screaching out thehighest possible note, uugghh. Give me a good bass. I was in car stereo contests for a while back in the 80s, and I ran 10 speakers in a little Jeep – and 2 subs stuck into the backs of the seats. I typically lost points as I had the sound tuned to my tastes of lower frequencies. They said it wasn’t well balanced. I hate the highs and tend to turn them down, all the bass and low side gets turned up, but it’s got to be crisp and not muddy.

Some souds I love and love loud, some I can’t stand, and a screaming TV commercial, or high pitched sounds make me bonkers.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Loud noises bothers me as well; so does having the television on while I am studying especially when I’m facing it. To optimize my ability to study I get up at 2 am! Believe me you are not alone.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hate the sound of things like the vacuum or my blow dryer. When I dry my hair (rarely!) or vacuum (almost as rare) I have to wer ear plugs. I sleep in ear plugs as well, so I always have them around. My DH and roomie laugh because there is always a pair of earplugs in the bathroom!

Also can’t handle anything high-pitched. Squeaking car parts, certain music, alarms, and that horrible HORRIBLE sound that is made when silverware scrapes on metal or ceramic dishes!! Oh, that is the worst!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

So it isn’t just me!

I’ve been sleeping with earplugs in off and on for years.

I used to study in front of the TV, but what I would do is I would half-assedly study/do homework while the program was on (depending on how much it was holding my attention) and then mute the TV during the commercial breaks and hyper-focus for about 5 minutes or so. Probably not the most efficient use of time, but it helped me when I was having trouble motivating myself to work on assignments.

I work as a writer, and I find that I love to listen to music while I work (it drowns out other distractions), but if the music has lyrics it interferes with my ability to write. So I often listen to classical music, or instrumental heavy rock (like Buckethead!)

REPORT ABUSE

Nomad40

Not loud noises per se- just certain situations

I too sleep with earplugs, but also a white noise machine needs to humming in the backround to dilute any external noise. Since I get up at 4am I’m in bed before my wife or daughter and can’t get to sleep unless everything is just so. Also if I wake up at 2:30- 3:00 AM I’m often preoccupied with getting up and often do so earlier than 4am. Unfortunately my noise machine and complaint about my wife’s (occasional) snoring have driven her to take over the guest room.

At work I can’t stand the loud thuds from the footsteps from office upstairs. It’s occupied by someone I dispise so I’m sure that’s most of it. Also if someone else has a Tv or radio too loud for me I percieve it a rude and get angry.

REPORT ABUSE

Dennis

Loud noises-some, loud talking voices (as opposed to singing, which I like to hear loud) – very much bothered by. Loud voices almost hurts and I find I get a tad anxious.

“Tic-tic-tic” of these stupid new electric analog clocks. “Tic-toc” is ok, “tic-tic” is grating for some reason. My son (also diagnosed) could not stand sniffle sound or chewing sounds, and in school the hum of the older florescent lights made him very upset, and at the age of twenty-one he still is irked by those sounds, although he is more restrained with his response.

Dennis

In Self-Induced Comma – and here it is ,

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey is anyone bothered by the sound of heavy bass from car stereos? I think loud TVs and radios are rude they infuriates me as well; sometimes I think I get up at 2 am just to enjoy the relative quiet. It helps me “center.” I want to eventually learn to “hyper-focus” at will so that I can take less time getting things done! Now wouldn’t that be cool!

Interesting Megatron! it’s good to know I am not the only person distracted by song lyrics whenever I study or write.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Under certain conditions, loud noises bother me, but more likely repetitively annoying noises. For example, car alarms that go off.

Booming stereos. Repetitive hammering. Construction equipment. Back up signal beeping.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

For me it’s animals, little kids and harleys. can’t stand them. i don’t plan on having any.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I am so sensitive to heavy bass sounds that, for the past month, I couldn’t be inside the auditorium of the theatre where I work!

This is because the show that was in there, played a droning piece of “music” with a very heavy, repetitive bass sound through it, for the entire half-hour pre-show and 20-minute intermission. Some patrons complained about it, but the theatre company wouldn’t make any changes. One night, a patron actually exploded with rage over having that pounding bass inflicted on him, and stormed out. After that, the company seemed to actually crank the bass even louder, as if to provoke another strong reaction. Part of me admires their sh**-disturber mentality, but the other part of me thinks that, if you’re told that something you’re doing is causing harm to people, you should bloody well modify it so it doesn’t.

At least my managers were very understanding of my sensitivity, and they quickly agreed to only put me on lobby shifts. Unfortunately, lobby shifts are shorter than in-house shifts, so that meant smaller paycheques for me. And the disappointment of not being able to see a really amazing show more than once.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My word… it really would be horid to have to deal with extremely heavy bass noise in a theater setting professionally! Car alarms are also an issue with me. I wonder if there is a solution that doesnot involve wearing head phones dependence on them leaves me self-consious; has anyone found a workable solution?

Kazuo

REPORT ABUSE

Orion

Loud noises? hell yes. Especially sudden or repetitive ones. Car alarms, Dogs barking, back-up signals… ARRGGHH. TV too loud drives me insane. I sleep with a pillow over my head just so I wont hear any sudden noises to annoy me. And yes, some noises dont bother me. I am a drummer. I am fine with that noise….. but when someone else is playing drums right near me. ouch,.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)