Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Monthly discussion: ADHD and Eating Problems

Monthly discussion: ADHD and Eating Problems2011-05-11T01:55:35+00:00

The Forums Forums Tools, Techniques & Treatments Diet Monthly discussion: ADHD and Eating Problems

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

This May we’re focusing on ADHD and Eating Problems here at Totally ADD. We thought we’d do things a little differently and start the ball rolling right here in the forum. Please share your questions, fears, issues, and advice about weight gain, weight loss, nutrition, and diet. This month’s webinar will be hosted by Conquering Obesity author Lance Levy, and we’ll ask him to answer some of the topics that come up in this discussion.

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Lance, buddy, you have NO idea what you’ve signed on for….

Having said that, do you by chance have any particular expertise in the relationship between diet and ADD? Or are you primarily a weight-loss guru?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I’m taking medication I have NO appetite and literally get so hyperfocused that I forget to eat. Good for weight loss but bad for overall health and wellbeing. By 7pm I have a pounding headache and realize that’s it’s due to hunger and I end up eating whatever I can throw together quickly.

The best advice I was given was to drink a green smoothie every morning so that if I don’t eat anything else until dinner time at least I’ve gotten my full day’s serving of fruit and veggies. Our ADHD brains need the proper nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function better.

I was able to find a Blendtec blender on Craiglist for a decent price and it’s one of the best kitchen investments I ever made. My green smoothies include a combination of things like: spinach, kale, leafy greens, frozen mango or pineapple, grapes, a banana, apples, oranges or whatever fruit I have laying around the kitchen. It probably sounds gross but the fruit completely covers up the taste of the spinach and it just tastes like a fruit smoothie.

The best part is that the blender also acts as a food processor, ice cream maker, etc so it’s like having several appliances in one. It’s made my life much easier! I can also make fresh homemade soup in a matter of about 5-6 minutes so I eat a lot of soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ive been told that for people with ADD/ADHD that we need to not consume caffine and have high proteins and low carbohydrates. And plz tell me more if theres more about lvls of different food groups. So is this true or not? And if so, what does this help us to do, or do better?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Wgreen Dr Levy has published papers, conducted research, and spoken many times on the subject of ADHD and diet. He has treated hundreds of patients for a variety of nutritional disorders, including those related to ADHD. Therefore, I think you’ll agree, he qualifies as an expert.

REPORT ABUSE

Wendygh

Often I am impulsive and in the moment. I feel the need to eat something and I do! That emotional need is very strong. It usually wins and I’ll eat that yummy dessert or buy that expensive watch. I’ve been struggling with these… “ I want it now moments,” almost all my life!

Any ideas on how to change that?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

@James Well, allrighty–he’s got a few questions waiting for him….

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

I’m curious about the connection between Omega3, ADD and memory. Is there a recognized beneficial dose? I’ve recently purchased a box of Omega 3 tablets at the drugstore. The directions say to take at night or with a meal. Why would taking them at night be more beneficial?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been told caffeine has little or no effect on those of us with ADHD. True? True for some? I decided to test the hypothesis the other night and found the strongest perked coffee I could, and enjoyed it at about 11:30 pm. I was sound asleep 15 minutes later, no sleep disturbance whatsoever. Which leads me to the next thing I’m, wondering about – guarana. Dr. Oz (on TV, yes daytime TV; no, I don’t know how accurate their info is) had some researcher on who suggested 1 tsp guarana in juice every morning (not related to ADHD but . . . ) Guarana seeds (beans?) have 250% more caffeine by volume than coffee beans. Is this a good idea or totally preposterous! I have major difficulty getting my days moving anywhere before 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Might this help me get a schedule that is somewhat aligned with the rest of my family?

To Webmaster: the correct spelling is sepArated, not sepErated BTW.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Wgreen hahaha. be nice to him!

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

@ James—We’re ALWAYS nice to “guests.” And to community managers!

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

A question for the Doctor. Why is it that everytime I need to concentrate on something I get hungry???? Last night I had just finished eating dinner and my daughter comes home and she had smashed her thumb in the car door. Crisis, instant hungry, took her to hospital, felt hungry the whole time there, came home still feeling hungry. Started to relax before going to bed and hunger went away without eating anything at all after dinner.

I worked at a job for 10 years, snacking all day long and reached 450 lbs before I left. I was hungry all day long. WHY?

REPORT ABUSE

bedelia

I have just joined this discussion–fairly new at ADD and this website. I see lots of interesting questions, some of which I can relate to big time. But where are the answers? I don’t understand about tags, either! But I do see the misspelled word, right in the tag box bekow this box!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am also struggling with weight loss. i know what to do, how to do it but lack the discipline and follow through. it’s as if after about 3 weeks i start to forget that i am eating healthy. and distractions during the day keep me from working out. it is very frustrating. any help or resources would be great.

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

Bedelia, the misspelled word makes me feel right at home! How about you? I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. Do you have any problems with weight control? This discussion is about the blog article on ADD and eating problems. If you have any questions you want to ask the doctor this is the place.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)