Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Okay – I'm pretty irritable, mainly at the end of the day. Is it the concerta?

Okay – I'm pretty irritable, mainly at the end of the day. Is it the concerta?2012-07-04T20:44:52+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Okay – I'm pretty irritable, mainly at the end of the day. Is it the concerta?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

There’s a lot going on in my life. I’m having to flexi school the eldest, I’m waiting for word on an application that is really important to me, I’m trying to finish the uni course I deferred, I haven’t had a day’s work at school since I told them I have ADHD, my puppy is REALLY sick, a close family member said something beyond horrible to me recently and loads of other small but cumulative stuff.

But I’m not sure that’s really why I’m moody and irritable.

Has the concerta had this effect on anyone? I’m actually really really irritated by things that never used to bother me and I don’t know if it’s because I’m more aware of them now and they irritated me before but now I’m no longer forgetting that I was p’d off? Or maybe they’re not irritating things and it’s just me being a grumpy sod.

Anyone?

It’s much like having PMT all the time?!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the same reaction to things now that I am on Concerta. I think it is the sudden ability to be able to focus on each situation, one at a time, that makes them seem worse(like seeing things with a magnifying glass). When it wears off at the end of the day, your body and mind are crashing; you are used to having a great focus during the day and as the day’s dose wears off, your mind starts to speed up again(ADD) and it’s exhausting and frustrating.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

That sounds exactly like what I’m experiencing. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

shutterbug55
    Participant

I don’t know what “Flexi School” is, but it sounds like schedules are not fixed or constant, is that right? That all by itself is enough to send me into orbit. Tack on waiting for anything and trying to maintain a life… I would need Thorazine and a straight jacket to keep me from bouncing off the walls or going completely out of my mind.

I am impressed you can write and communicate!

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Have you tried writing in a journal about the problems. Especially the personal relationships stuff. If the Concerta is still worth taking maybe making some adjustments, or adding new coping skills to deal with the newest version of you might help.

Having a REALLY sick puppy is like getting kicked in the teeth. A sour batch of apples, a sock in the belly, a fat lip, a whack up side the head with a two by four… I got a few more, but just want to make ya feel better, not feel guilty from laughing. I don’t like it when an innocent pup is hurting.

In mostly good ways I’ve made some slow, gradual personality changes. I’m a different me now, so it’s important to add new coping skills that fit the new struggles. I hope this makes sense to ya. I think I’ve got some unresolved anger about going so long without the correct diagnosis and treatment. Not dealing with that anger, or mainly not feeling like I’m gonna be able to at least help prevent other folks from going through the same gunk yet is also pissing me off. That would feel like a little bit of justice in an unjust world. I have a teacher person I know, that won’t let the reality of ADD into his thick freakin skull. There’s nothing I can do. So I just removed him from my list of acquaintances. He was almost a friend, but too narrow minded n arrogant. I’ll save the 4 letter word for my journal… words, that is. grrrrrr

It’s possible that I’m just projecting my own anger; there’s some frustration I’ve been kinda stuffing… Dumb little stuff I really thought I was doing a good job of just letting go, but it’s persistent stuff that I’m gonna have to start writing about. Gotta deal with it completely before I can truly let it go.

I’m gonna start a personal journal again. I’ve done it many times before. I just don’t always feel like I need to keep at it. More freakin work!, growing up is a dang pain in the butt! especially at 47.

I hope this helps, it helped me some at least. So thanks :-)

I wish I could just throw a good old fashioned temper tantrum sometimes. Kick n scream, maybe throw my shoe (again). I just did that the other day cuz I was frustrated about not liking what’s on tv. Little stuff gets on my nerves lately, but seems barely enough to even mention, we all get frustrated, and your problems sound like a lot!, a sick puppy is really sucky. I hope the pup feels better soon. What’s the puppy’s name?

***pet pet** aww, poor lil pup. :-(

All is not right in my world if someone I know has a REALLY sick puppy. I hope to hear about yer lil fuzz ball feelin better.

7-5-12

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks all.

Puppy is Ben. He has a problem where his food doesn’t leave his stomach and it ferments and causes bloating. It’s happened twice recently and he needed major surgery the first time and we nearly lost him. This time the bloating was in his intestine, not his stomach and he made it through the night but his stomach is still just not always passing the food through as it should.

He’s getting allergy tests tomorrow so I hope something will turn up that we can deal with.

He’s also extremely hyperactive and that may be linked to anxiety caused by this or to a food intolerance. He – wait for it – has some ADHD symptoms! Guess why I picked the little fellah! That side though is different and is just hard work, not life threatening.

We’re hoping he gets to grow old with our family but it’s a tough road for him.

He’s a mixed breed with a daft grin and a waggy bum and I love him to bits.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Wow, sounds like Ben’s got it rough… er, maybe difficult… How can you not love a lil booger with a Daft grin n a waggy bum. Hopefully shiny stuff’s got his attention.

Lot’s of folks in this camp will be hoping and praying for Ben, you and your family. Thanks for sharing, we’re all feeling for you.

Whatever problems I had just shrank.

Thanks for being willing to share a lil.

My imaginary tail is tucked under,

sigh… :-(

***scritch scratch rub*** for Ben

((( Hugz ))) For You

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tid…..any type of “Speed” drug can have that kind of effect! There are many central nervous system stimulants ….cocaine…. meth….ritalin ….concerta……all have a very similar effect on people. Methylphenidate (Concerta) is very very closely related to amphetamine(s)…..and/or methamphetamine….all of those chemicals clinical names are just “Street Speed”. Side affects of any “Speed’ derivative can include anxiety, irritability, agitation, paranoia……the list is extensive and yes….there is a propensity to dependency…..a strong one!!!

So if your feeling irritated, short tempered…that’s not unusual….also racing heart or elevated heart rate shortness of breath…etc….are all common. These are very serious drugs……very serious. I know some folks here take dosages that astound me!!

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks, Robbo!

Toofat, I know there’s no dependency because I often forget to take it and feel no ill effects but I don’t like the irritability that I’ve been feeling at all.

Not sure whether to consider another drug, try going back to the lower dose or what to do.

REPORT ABUSE

g.laiya

i’ve never been on concerta, or any other prescribed stimulant, but i do know that when i have a particularly large amount of stress in a given period of time (which sounds like you very much do), then every other “little” thing that goes wrong makes me feel far more irritated/frustrated/angry than i would normally.

so, i guess you do need to consider the medication, and should mention it to your dr, but it could also be just too much going on/overload…..or maybe even a combination?

hope it all gets better for you soon! (((hugs)))

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks. I think you may be right. I was in a car accident 2 days ago and after the adrenaline went I become sore and very chilled out!

I think maybe things have really just got on top of me and the car accident, after I’d calmed down, just broke it for me as there was no more angry to get!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tid, there is a balancing act to meds for sure…!!! It does take time to get it right…and everybody is different….different dosages and different reactions to dosages. The trick is to find the minimum dosage that provides a reasonable benefit…..that allows you to function….. It is very seductive to up and up the dosage and reap the “action” benefits……..but that may come with a serious down side as well.

So caution…and patience…when the dosage is getting to high….one might feel slightly buzzy…driven….a little chatty……..that kind of thing. If the dosage is over stepped….one may feel very driven….in motion…very motivated…….anxious…..difficulty sleeping or relaxing at all….. etc.

The minimum dosage are more effective if one takes a med holiday every once and a while…..I never took meds on weekends for instance or at vacation or holidays…..

Does that help Tid??

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

It helps a lot, toofat. Thanks. I’m finding that I forget to take it a lot so probably have a ‘med holiday’ 2 days per week at the moment! I also have been wondering if I should go back down to 18mg as, although they don’t have the same benefit at that dose, i think if I am able to use other strategies too I’ll be able to manage on that dosage. The 27 is good but I do find that I can get quite a similar feeling sometimes to when I am rushing towards a deadline and managing to get into gear. I don’t need to do that if I’m able to pace myself, which the drugs do help me to do to a certain extent.

Difficult to manage without a psych supporting me and difficult to manage too when the outward chaos is out of my control at the moment – like the home schooling which I wasn’t expecting to have to do. My 8 year old is working at 16 year old level in science and they just can’t accommodate him in school so I’m having to learn GCSE level physics and chemistry to help him! A nice problem to have but not an easy path for the boy, who has some inattention and working memory deficits too – and perfectly ‘average’ maths ability – so hard to pitch just right for obvious reasons!

And the car accident – I didn’t even mention it in my first post as i wasn’t thinking about it but it was skewing my perception too as I was ‘high’ from the adrenaline. Plus, some numnut set a fire first thing in the morning and I had to walk through the smoke and it set my asthma off and so my blood pressure and pulse were through the roof…

So, yes, sorting out what’s my ADHD, what’s the meds, what’s just general life and what’s the ‘extra’ stuff thrown at me is hard. I don’t think I really need to know, except that I need to know what the meds are doing to me – everything else is just what gets thrown at all of us and we all have periods of more niggly stuff getting in the way.

What’s good is that, with the meds, I’m able to cope with having ADHD. It doesn’t feel like I’m constantly stuck in quick sand. So I guess I’m also just learning how to cope with life instead of being swamped by it!

That’s pretty cool!

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Tiddler – I am sorry to read about all your problems. I hope things calm down soon.

I wouldn’t be too quick at judging the meds whilst you’re going through all this stress.

My Ritalin is great – I feel it kicking in but also ‘kicking out’. Last week I unexpectedly ended up in hospital for a few days. I was sent an unexpected ‘curve ball’ as our friends across the water say. Anyway point is, at the moment I can’t feel the Ritalin kicking in or out – even at a dose that normally leaves me with a headache.

So I think mental stress can override the meds. Just hang in there.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks, Scattybird. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles – i hope they’re over now.

I’ve decided to have a few days off to try to find out what’s me and what’s them. So far I just feel more tired.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)