Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Okay – I'm pretty irritable, mainly at the end of the day. Is it the concerta?

Okay – I'm pretty irritable, mainly at the end of the day. Is it the concerta?2012-07-04T20:44:52+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Concerta Okay – I'm pretty irritable, mainly at the end of the day. Is it the concerta?

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Scattybird
    Participant

Tiddler – I find that I am very tired on a med break. I don’t know why – it almost feels like my brain is just saying ‘phew, I don’t have to concentrate today so I’m going to crash out’. A day later the mind wandering, fidgeting and irritable impulsivity returns.

REPORT ABUSE

AbbyNormal

Most of the ADHD drugs have a “cycling off” irritability effect at the end of the day, some are worse than others, and I’m sure it’s subject to individual variations. Concerta come-down for me and the one on Vyvanse for my son can sometimes sadly coincide and we just have to stay aware of it and be extra-vigilant about being gentle with each other and mindful about the need to chill out alone if it starts to cause a mood flare. Helps also to make sure you don’t have a blood-sugar drop at the same time, so a snack around that time is a good idea for us. Good luck with your pup and your other challenges, and hope knowing that others share the same symptom helps!

Abby

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, the stimulants can make you irritable at the end of the day. I was on fast acting Dexamphetamine (2 tablets a day) and was extremely irritable at night as they wore off. But I have had no mood issues at all since switching to the long acting version of the same drug.

I hope things are better Tiddler and Scattybird *hugs*

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Thank you RedSquirrel. :)

Tiddler – as well as making sure your blood sugar is good when your meds wear off try having a coffee. I find a coffee with sugar helps. But….not a good idea if that will keep you awake at night.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks everyone! Really good to know what’s going on.

Coffee would keep me awake, though it sends me to sleep if I have it during the day while the pills are working!

Unfortunately, I think I’ve found a bit of a blood sugar issue, as you mention Scatybird. I have always had trouble with overeating in the evenings – snacking on unhealthy food like crisps and chocolate. It is MUCH worse since I started the pills and I think maybe that’s got something to do with this come-down and I am putting weight on which for a big girl like me is NOT good. (I’m a size 18 already.)

I’m considering trying the methamphetamine instead of the methylphenidate but need to wait till I see the psych in October. Though I do like this drug – it works so maybe it’s about tweaking it.

I’ve taken 18mg today. I feel fairly focused – got some uni work done before I got started on the housework. We have a family of 6 coming round for dinner later and I feel okay – I’d normally be panicking like crazy.

I also found that the pills are doing wonders for my ability to control my empathy bombs – without them for the last couple of days I filled up with tears a few times just about random things, like I used to before taking them. I was much more aware of it yesterday because I was at a support group (for parents of kids with dual exceptionality) and I found that I was much more emotional than usual. Good to feel more in control today.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi Tiddler – I went through a phase once I’d been on methylphenidate (MPH) for a while, of thinking I should try methamphetamine instead. But I read that it’s a bit harsher than MPH in terms of cell toxicity but not sure of the facts.

Anyway, I tweaked the MPH instead and I think we have an understanding now. On balance, I think I’m happy with it but it’s never going to make me perfect! :)

AbbyNormal really brought up the blood sugar thing. But I found that somehow eating properly is more important when taking MPH. I feel better for it so there is something in that.

How about talking a short acting MPH when your Concerta kicks out?

Try the purple grapes from M&S – better than chocolate! Yummy. (Well…not quite but almost!)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi again Tid……I did try Concerta….my Doc asked if I would try it…..tell him what I thought. I normally don’t take anything but I did find

18 mg to be just about right for me……..nice focus….attentive….no shitty side-affects……more than 18mg would have made me buzzy and speedy………sure I would get things done but I would have a “Speed” buzz going too….not good!!!

That’s just me tho…….

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Hiya – I wish fruit would hit that spot for me! I’ll try the M&S grapes though – I bet they’re lush! It’s carbs I crave. I seldom drink and don’t smoke but it’s a nasty vice really, given what it’s doing to my health.

The 18mg worked a treat today. I think I need to just make that work for me.

Do you still take the concerta toofat?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Tid……..as I mentioned, I did try em out for a bit, for my Doc, but to answer your question…….hmmmm…. no…not very often…..I’m retired, and I really don’t give a shit if I remember to do this, or I forget to do that…..not that I did before either hahahahhaha…..people tell me I have an attitude from hell!!! Anyway….from time to time I do take an 18mg Concerta before a gig……it helps sometimes with my focus and all the “immediate” shit a lead guitar player (band leader) has to remember…..( and I can tell when I’m having a dozy day so ) …..I guess…..my answer is….yes as well…… from time to time, but not regular or daily. Wow……make sense of that Tid!!!

Your a “Carb Monster” eh….well Tid… if it works for you, it does, and, “it ain’t nobodies business but your own” (thxs to Porter Grainger)……on the other hand…..if it causes you heartache….you know, that’s another story……

Sounds like you made a decision (18mg it is)….good….good on you…if 18mg allows you to function and function reasonably….there you go….fair enough!!!! If I might share this thought…..it is my experience that many, many people fall victim to…..I must be perfectly competent and adequate, and successful in my all of my achievements or endeavors….. kind of thinking, before they can think of themselves as worthwhile…………hell of thing to chase….and for what???

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Hey, I’m on your wavelength here, toofat.

On a tangent – I play piano and used to play cornet in a youth orchestra and I became really worried about playing in front of an audience because I was scared in case I’d start playing a different piece to everyone else! And I still have dreams where I’m on stage and I say my lines from the end of the play right at the beginning and I’ve ruined it, or I just stand there having forgotten them all together.

I admire you for getting up on stage and enjoying yourself. My husband does it – also lead guitar – and he never misses a beat.

The 18mg worked just fine today. Nothing startling but I got it done.

REPORT ABUSE

Geoduck

Again, posting late into the game, and didn’t read all the posts…

If Concerta is a form of Ritalin, then yes. I’ve had that experience. It also made me extremely sleepy on a 5mg/day dose. I had to stop taking it and am back on Adderall. Still, I get irritable and incredibly sensitive to sound, occasionally, when the Adderall starts to wear off. It’s not every night, but on occasion, probably about 1/4 of the time, usually in the 2nd phase of my cycle, which makes me suspect hormones are at play, as well. But when I was on Ritalin, it was a continual occurrence every day I was on it, unlike the Adderall.

Of course, sounds like you got a lot going on, I’m sure others have addressed that. Really, I wanted to register my experience with the Ritalin. Hope it helps.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Getting back to Scattybird’s comment about amphetamines and damage to cells – I had no idea about this. We only have two choices in Australia, Dexamphetamine and Ritalin (4 choices if you want to count long and short acting versions). I didn’t specify which one I preferred, but I did tell my Doc that I had tried my sons Ritalin LA and it made me feel sad so he thought he’d try me on the other one. Also, I strongly lean towards being Inattentive so I wonder if this had anything to do with the prescription.

I’m on 15mg a day at the moment and tend to take it on weekdays only when I have to be productive at work and then I bask in all my ADHD glory on the weekends.

Also just out of curiosity, do all you musicians find that you can focus well with the adrenalin of being on stage in in the spotlight spurring you on or are you still forgetful?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Red Squirrel……to be quite honest I prefer to play with my head clear head, I play straight……it’s magical already and I want to be clear headed so a to not miss a moment…..or a string!!!

As far as adrenalin goes…..actually I prefer not to be amped up with adrenalin………I like to be relaxed……..slide into the first couple of easy tunes, feel the band settle down and into the groove….. and……… we’re off….. it’s a great night!!!!

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Although I haven’t done it for years, it was pure adrenaline for me. I can’t imagine getting to the stage where I was relaxed about it, though my husband says he feels completely different on stage – more confident and relaxed.

Another great day on 18mg.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good to hear it’s working for you Tid….. :)

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)