Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Parenting & ADD

Parenting & ADD2014-10-03T15:34:25+00:00

The Forums Forums Parenting & ADD Parenting & ADD

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author

cher

We don’t have a routine – when we try it’s inconsist!  He avoids going to bed maybe because it’s boring or he’s not ready AND there’s nothing in it for him.  Every night and I mean EVERY NIGHT ends with arguing, yelling, threatening, guilt and tears.   If we don’t change I feel we’re all going to end up in a crisis situation.

REPORT ABUSE

ImpactADHD Elaine

You ready for a little coaching ? 😀   Don’t worry about the routine for just a moment. Consider the questions: See if you can understand the source of the trouble sleeping. Is it trouble with going to sleep, getting to sleep, or staying asleep? What can you figure out about what’s going on? Once you’ve got some answers to that, then ask — what’s in it for him/her? what is important about changing things (for you? for him/her?).  Turn on your curiosity and see what comes up!

REPORT ABUSE

cher

I think I got it now!  I think the trouble is he really wants me to go to bet at the same time as him.  I usually try and coach him to sleep with breathing and relaxation techniques and it’s really the only quiet time we get to spend together all day.  I know I need to change my work habits AND work with him on going to bed oh his own.  Maybe some CBT for him as well… <3

REPORT ABUSE

ImpactADHD Elaine

GREAT — so now you’re clear that the change is about setting a clear expectation for him that you’re an adult and you’re not going to bed at the same time that he does.  That’s where you are taking aim. NOW, you collect information again — what’s going on for him? What’s he thinking that has him wanting you to go to bed when he does?

REPORT ABUSE

ourlove71

My son was diagnosed with Inattentive ADD in April and was put on Concerta with increasing dosages. Over the past few months his anxiety has gotten out of control and he has stopped the Concerta and is now on no meds for the past three weeks. His doc has prescribed Wellbutrin 300 because he is now still struggling with the anxiety as well as some depression. We are just waiting for the prescription to be filled but I would like advice in regards to this new treatment. Are there any opinions? We are really having a difficult time finding good support as we live in a small community. We would be willing to travel if necessary but I don’t know how to seek the proper support in neighbouring cities that are each about 4 hours away. Suggestions?  We are both feeling helpless and desperate.

REPORT ABUSE

ImpactADHD Elaine

For some people with Anxiety, traditional ADHD meds can be intolerable, so this is not as uncommon as you might think. Sounds like getting the anxiety under control is critical before trying ADHD meds again — and then, you might want to avoid stimulant medication. I’d encourage you to think about what the goal is for using medication — what’s the behavior you’re trying to address? It may or may not be treatable with the meds, so be clear WHY you’re seeking meds for ADHD specifically before you go again. There are a lot of other ways to manage ADHD besides meds, so focus on getting the anxiety under control and consider looking for behavioral approaches, and maybe nutritional approaches. I’m not sure how old your son is, but for kids and teens, Parent Training is recommended treatment and can make a world of difference. If that interests you, visit SanitySchool.com to see if it feels like it might be helpful for you– it was designed for parents to be able to access support via the phone and internet. You’re on the right path — be patient!

REPORT ABUSE

darkplayground
    Participant

Morning All,

I’m a self-diagnosed ADHD sufferer and I’ve largely been on a journey of discovery since I had children as it is impairing my ability to parent effectively and has really made me consider my own childhood and some of the issues I had.

I am completely unable to do things that most people can do

1) Colour things in without getting bored and rushing and being untidy
    2) Follow instructions for things like Lego systematically without getting extremely bored and frustrated
    3) Complete Puzzles
    4) Read stories without praying for them to end, trying to skip pages without the kids noticing

There are many other examples – as a result I don’t end up playing/parenting with my kids as I just can’t stand to do these kind of things – I try to force myself but my mind is screaming at me about how dull it is and what should we do next/what is less boring.

Does anyone have any coping strategies/experience dealing with this? My kids are 4 and 2…

Any thoughts would be welcome!

DP

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)