Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Rob Ford: poster child for undiagnosed ADHD?

Rob Ford: poster child for undiagnosed ADHD?2013-11-20T08:16:14+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Other Rob Ford: poster child for undiagnosed ADHD?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ADDled

I’m gonna make the assumption, that by now, most everyone here on this forum knows that name.

I’m hoping this thread doesn’t wind up discussing the political implications or the legality of the actions of Metro Council in stripping the Mayor of his power, but more about how undiagnosed ADHD can not just affect the person, but how it impacts everyone and everything around them.

But after seeing his antics on TV almost all the time, I’ve come to the conclusion this has to be the worst case of undiagnosed ADHD in an adult. Ford has used every excuse possible for his behaviour. Maybe he had it as a child and thought he could outgrow it. Maybe he doesn’t want anyone to know, but I find that highly suspect, considering we know all the intimate details of his life. So, I find it interesting he has not disclosed this, if he is aware, as another excuse.

The reason that I strongly suspect undiagnosed ADHD in Ford is based solely on empirical evidence after observing the situations he finds himself seemingly all the time.

These include:

Impulsivity

Lack of focus

Drug or alcohol abuse (alleged)

Inability to see the consequences of actions

Inability to control emotions

Inability to stop current behaviour or actions when they affect others

Episodes of aggressive and anti-social behaviour, poor anger management skills

Poor conflict resolution skills

Lack of empathy or ability to consider the other person’s point of view or situation

Problems with self esteem

Poor nonverbal working memory

We all know the ADHD is a spectrum disorder and that makes it difficult to separate these symptoms other co-morbid conditions such as anxiety, bi-polar disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, conduct/antisocial disorder, etc.

It’s dangerous to play “arm chair psychologist”, but after studying all the information about adult ADHD when I was diagnosed several years ago, I’m getting real good in seeing some of these behaviours in action.

Hopefully, someone will suggest getting a diagnosis. Not that I approve any of his actions or political point of view, but no one deserves to suffer with undiagnosed ADHD.

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

I would just like to point out to start with there is nothing alleged about the drug and alcohol use. He has openly admitted to both and it was fairly obvious from the beginning.

It is impossible to say if it is undiagnosed ADHD without knowing his history and what other conditions may be present. Alcohol and drug use alone could account for a lot of  his behaviour, depending on how bad it is, and I suspect it is a lot worse than he is admitting.

I am tempted to say that the impulsive outbursts and hostility are signs of being an idiot and a horses posterior, but I suppose that is unkind. But ADHD or no ADHD, his recent behaviour is inexcusable. There is a difference between being impulsive and being repulsive.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@ADDled, I reached that conclusion, too.

But a much wiser ADDer than I am, pointed out that it’s not a good idea to use Ford as an example of what ADHD looks like, because *if* he does have it, it brought along some REALLY scary friends.

“Scary friends” that are NOT present in most ADDers.

But, if people hear rumours that Ford might have ADHD, they’ll assume that that’s what it looks like in a person, which would add to the stigma we already face.

As my dad says, “When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail, including things that aren’t nails.”

Coincidentally, one of the cover stories in the latest issue of Psychology Today is “The Problem With Rich Kids”. It seems to shed some light on this, too…except for the bit about “high test-scores & good schools”. http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201310/the-problem-rich-kids

In 1986, on an episode of “4 on the Floor”, there was a song called “I’m Rich, I’m White, I Love It”. The video depicted a spoiled-brat, grown-up rich-kid (played by Dan Redican), doing whatever the hell he wanted, just because he could. It would be so timely, right now!

The Psychology Today website has a blog by Melissa Orlov, called “May I Have Your Attention” (the ADHD-Impacted Marriage”). http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/may-i-have-your-attention

The most recent post is called “ADHD Adults – What It Feels Like to Have ADHD”. It’s really insightful!

REPORT ABUSE

blackdog

@Larynxa – I was thinking along the same lines but having some difficulty with articulation yesterday. Having Rob Ford as our poster child would not be a good thing.

Those psych today articles sound interesting. But I have already wasted the whole morning. Again. I just put some Christmas music on as an attempt to motivate me and remind me why it is I want to do the house work.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Some good thoughts here. It is hard not to wonder, I have to admit. But I think Larynxa is right, there are a lot of issues that seem to be present that a qualified mental health expert would suggest is ODD, Conduct Disorder, Substance Abuse, and so on.

On Friday we sat down with Dr. Margaret Weiss, who you know from so many of our videos. She was in in town for the CADDAC Conference. Our interview lasted two hours. (Which beat the one we did with Dr. Ned Hallowell at his house last year.)  I told Margaret I could have listened to her until midnight!

One of the things that she talked about is the comorbid disorders, and the difficulty in diagnosing. As for Rob Ford? She’s probably seen more ADHD people than I’ve had breakfasts, but she didn’t care to venture a guess. In a way, no percentage in it.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)