Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Short Temper

Short Temper2010-07-01T17:57:35+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Short Temper

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Diana!

Oh My Goodness! Your last entire post is my life!

I did a ‘noise war’ and lost too!!!!!!!!

Also the hubby sleeping early and you crawling in with freezing feets at 11 pm!!!

And you’re right! I does stop their snoring!

(I am not allowed physical contact with my hubby when I get into bed because he said I radiate cold so much that it hurts..he thinks I’m a reptile)

I am still laughing!!!

thanks Diana!

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

hi larynxa,not that lucky . I started looking for a new job.the meds are working i can say that because i still have a job. if i can help it i will not just leave, and thats what i would have done without the meds. having said that people useto push me around when i was young. so if he wantsto keep his driver i hope he can learn resect is a two way street. i dont like fighting with people but i can if i have to so its hurry and wait and see what hapens thanks for your concern.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

so_calvin… WOW! Can I ever relate! That has to be one of the worst parts (for me) about having ADHD. Like you, I never really know when my temper will get away from me. I try to brace myself and to not let things get to me, but that doesn’t always work and, without warning, I can go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde in an instant. It’s not pretty. When I’ve calmed down, it’s flat-out humiliating to realize what I’ve done and then I end up beating myself up (figuratively speaking) over my behavior for the next week.

I’ve dealt with it by isolating myself and avoiding crowds and social situations. Yea, I know, not a good solution. But now that I’ve found this website and have begun this journey to reclaim my life, I’m looking forward to learning the skills and techniques (and medication, if necessary) that will help me start living again.

Something that sometimes helps me when I feel myself losing control is I remind myself that it’s not life or death or anything personal and I remind myself that I can almost always walk away… which may seem rude at the time, but it beats leaving a bunch of people with stunned or scared looks on their faces. It’s a work in progress. ;)

If I may share a personal story of my own… I worked for a company where we had daily morning meetings with the president of the division. All the department heads would give reports on how we were doing. Well, sales had been slipping a bit and we had a few gaffs in production that cost us profits which put the president in a foul mood. So, with a scowl on this face, the first thing he says to us is “Does anyone in this company want to make money?” It wasn’t really even a question as much as an accusation of laziness among the staff. Aside from this newly-hired president, I knew everyone within the division were hard-working, dedicated professionals that cared about the job, product and customers.

I can say I have never become so enraged so quickly. To this day I can not believe I didn’t launch into him with my best insults and every demeaning comment I could think of (and there were lots running through my head at a mile a minute). I could almost feel my whole body vibrating, just sitting there, trying to keep it together. The one thought that kept me in check was that I wanted to keep my job and I knew if I said anything that I would be out the door shortly. Turned out to be the right decision, but I’ve never forgotten how quickly the switch flipped and how close I came to making everyone think I was crazy.

After that I thought to myself, “this ‘jerk’ isn’t worth losing my job, or my temper, over.” and I try to remember that when dealing with difficult people. It doesn’t mean I never get mad… but I have an exit strategy if I need it.

Hang in there and thanks for sharing your story.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi sorry ive not been able to read all the comments but they seem to be saying the same things i feel less of a freak now knowing that there are others who suffer the errupting volcano burning up inside resulting in damage to whatever is close enough to get it . i can relate to what you all are saying. i have stopped going shopping on my own ( after throwing pack of biscuits accross supermarket) i terrify myself with what i am capable of i have smashed cars internal doors in my house plates phones whatever i can reach at the time :( i get very little support in my area my husband is great but i still feel very isolated xx :(xx

REPORT ABUSE

curlysue

Hey everyone. i have that short fuse too. right now i’m working on recognizing the signs and am slowly getting it. there are still times when i want to whip stuff across the room. one thing i always end up throwing at least every three months it my cell. i have destroyed them. sometimes i wonder if the temper is partially stress control issue. i think with me it is some days.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Curlysue

my mobile phone gets flung on a daily basis it gets very expensive lol, i think its because a mobile is in our hands mmore than anything else im struggling to spot my triggers xx

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

First off, Sorry I got distracted that why I have not responded in awhile…( that was a funny you should all laugh)

Did you ever notice how hard it is to actually read everybody comments and make it to the end…( another funny)

So first off The Dr Jekell and Mr hyde Quote, like och!!!!!!! I mean I can totally relate, being Diagnosed just a few years ago I actually have sat back and reflected on my 20’s and some of my 30’s. I really appreciate this site and the PBS airtime the other night I recorded it and actually my son sat through half and hopefully sits through it again.

Sorry I got off topic I’m ADHD and Anger to me is still a battle not in the sense I’m throwing things or smashing things, but it’s that Fuse that sometimes seems to charge quickly I’m learning and at times it does get longer. Recognizing what creates that wick to burst is sure tricky as I have noticed some people have area’s that I have surrendered to and are easy to me while others seem to be stronger in the one’s I’m trying to take charge of.

I’ve also been single for quite some time years actually and I’m HAPPY, Counseling definitely helped me along with Ritalin (sometimes I think I should swallow all the pills that might take the Anger issue to a low…(another Funny..haha)

I’m mostly scared of relationships, I’m a great looking guy and I have good self Confidence This I have learned to develop, I too struggled. However I have been told in my younger years that I’m this great guy but all of a sudden I can change in minutes and have these Crazy out Bursts. Thankfully I have been trying to train my Brain to recognize these things but it is awfully hard sometimes with my son. Whom I really wish would come to the table and get an idea of who I am.

I really appreciated all the notes as each Blog posted I actually can relate to, I’m hoping we are all trying to move forward and Focus on what we can Achieve in the future as we are the most gifted group little to we actually realize.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

well, the trashman just got trashed or fired , well got into an arument 2 weeks ago i was thinking we had moved on. things have been going along well. i guess i was wrong. iwas asked if i would start early again today ,so isaid that was ok so i did my first load started my second load and the head shipper called and ask what hapend yesterday at one of my customers ii told him i had no problems as far as i was aware of. when i got back to the shop i got my truck ready to load went inside told the shiper i was ready to load and went to have coffee.because thats what the boss told me he wants me to do.so iam thinking its all good then the boss comes into the break room and ask my coworker if he could see him for a miuite, then comes back and ask to see me so i went with him to his office and he said close the door i said whats up . he says its not working for me. and i said whats not worrking he said this after the other day .ill have to let you go. i said thought we were past that and he said iam not o ok. i think the problem is the rest of the guys in the warhouse, in the last 2 weeks started to stand up for themseves, iguess the boss wanted to keep pushing the other guys around ,thats something he could not get away with me so out the door i went.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having a crap mood day today. I just want to destroy the world. Funnily enough, it’s after an afternoon without medication and having to deal with those every-day frustrations that just piss me off like nobody’s buiness. And just dealing with people and noise and useless meetings that are full of crap that could have just been left to the flier they handed out and not actually read out… It took an hour, when it could have been done in 10mins.

I still have to get groceries and cook dinner, and I don’t want to. I’m just too grumpy. I feel like if I get up off the floor (lying flat on my tummy as I type) I’ll just kick and break anything that’s even vaguely in my way.

Grr. Argh. Angry. Hmph.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)