Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Short Temper

Short Temper2010-07-01T17:57:35+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? Short Temper

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

The best anger torrents I’ve ever heard are the gibberish ones in “A Christmas Story”. Ralphie’s dad doing battle with the furnace, weaving “…a tapestry of obscenity that, as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan”. Ralphie “speaking in strange tongues” when Scut Farcus pushes him too far. And, though it’s not a torrent, the wonderful moment when Ralphie blurts out “…the Queen Mother of Dirty Words, the F-dash-dash-dash-Word” that he’d picked up from his dad.

A few years ago, I helped dismantle some sets at an exhibit. As I worked, I became aware that the other workers were giggling. Why? Because I was muttering obscenities at the things I was working on, and because this torrent of filth was coming from the mouth of the only female there. I wasn’t aware I was doing it until I heard the giggling. Evidently, I’d picked up the technique from my dad. Letting frustration out in steady little bits like that prevents it from building up into one big explosion. Unless you injure yourself.

When that happens, no English cuss words are as satisfying as a few enthusiastically delivered Ukrainian ones. They don’t just get the venom out; they’re funny, too! And I’ll tell you a secret: The “Queen Mother of Ukrainian Dirty Words” just happens to be identical to the 3-letter name of a certain drinkable yogurt. It gives a whole new meaning to that commercial for it with the guy who sings that when he wakes up in the morning, he doesn’t want cereal; he wants his mama to give him Y-dash-dash!

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

Growing up in a Ukrainian household, I’ve heard a lot. My favourite translates into English as “May a disease take you….”

Sums it up, I think.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I love you guys! I thought I was the ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD who could fly into insane rages over appliances. Thank you for this thread.

Learning about ADD and emotional dysregulation has really helped me control myself a little better. I don’t get mad at myself for lost keys anymore, for example.

So overall I’ve been doing pretty well, but last week, a building next to my office is being demolished and the jack hammers were 10 feet from my head. I found myself getting angry with everyone and everything and couldn’t figure it out until I realized how much more difficult it had become to focus on my job. So, I just started leaving a little early and going home and taking the dogs out for a longer walk. It helped and my dogs were really happy. I am still feeling really irritated and irritable and I hope the jack hammers go away soon and I hope I don’t piss anyone off, but at least I get what the problem is.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@adderindc….we’re with you !

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@cirectay… I know what you mean. I wish I was less emotional too. I like it’s such a weakness sometimes. At one point though, I was put on a medication that took away ALL feeling. I wasn’t happy or sad or mad. I was just there. I wonder some days which is worse. Hmm.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed 3 months ago and I just accepted it. I knew it was there but I just didn’t want to accept it. Now I’m going through the depression and I am simply tired of having lost my entire 20’s and a few years of my 30’s.

Anger is a huge problem for me and as a medical student if I don’t control it I am in big trouble most days with my superiors. Towards my patients I am the most loving attentive person they have ever met :) Now ain’t that funny.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can definitely relate to having strong sudden bouts of anger. I’m taking Adderall XR and have found that to be helpful but sleep and exercise are my biggest allies. Sleep in particular is crucial. If I don’t get a good 8 hours (at least) then people are definitely not going to want to be around me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@adderindc

I use noise cancelling headphones…the kind that fit over the entire ear. If it’s bad enough then I hook them up to my iPod and play some quieter types of music to help smooth out the thumping. It may not get rid of the banging entirely, but it may get it to where it is tolerable.

Noise, especially repetitive noise makes me crazy!

Even the anticipation of it can drive you nuts. Is there such a thing as ‘Pre Traumatic Stress Disorder’???

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would just like to thank you all for not only “getting it” but being able to “articulate it”… My sister always said I was probably manic – or in a “manic swing” – I’ve just started this ride – always knew something wasnt “firing right” – new I was hot headed – but it seems although the anger bouts are less frequent – they are much more intense?? I had to remove myself from a situation at work this summer as I was worried I was going to smack a co-worker (granted she is a not so nice person) but I’m not violent normally.

Yes about lots of sleep too – less than 8 hours and back away….

Yes about the noise too – does anyone else ask their spouses “do you hear that”?? “Where is that coming from?” and they hear nothing??? HE thinks I have “absorbed” the hounds hearing from being with them so much! (haha)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dianna

I laughed when I read your post about asking your spouse if they heard that noise, thumping, bass, etc etc. It seems that they don’t! It’s just us folk who are blessed (ahem!) with supersonic senses.

I used to do that to my first husband all the time when we lived in an apartment. I had to go to bed with a Walkman on so the gal upstairs wouldn’t keep me up all night.

I’d lay there and get more wound up by the minute. Sometimes I’d be so frustrated that I’d lay in bed crying, knowing I wouldn’t sleep all night and had to work the next day.

It’s not just you!

It’s like in the movies where someone has a super-power and is both blessed and cursed to have it, depending on the circumstances, I guess.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi MerryMac! I like the song they wrote about you!! Thanks – yep I dont live in apartments anymore – I did the same as you – my old upstairs neighbors were “heavy walkers” – I was working & doing my divemaster training (LOTS of study & math) – oh my word – it was so ridiculous! Laying in bed bawling….I even complained – turned it into a noise war……I lost. 2 against 1… I would sleep with the tv on…Now its the melody of hounds snoring ;).. Me too!! Oh but my hubbie cant snore until AFTER im asleep which is so funny as he’s asleep at like 8 and I crawl in at 11 or so. (I put my freezing feets on him to wake him up then I go to sleep & it shakes him out of his snore….heeheehee)

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

HI THIS IS FOR NICK ,TRASHMAN HERE IAM 47YEARS OLD I STUGGLE WITH ONLY FINDING OUT WHY I WAS OVER SENSETIVE I ALSO AM LEARNING I HAVE ALWAYS HAD SOME LEARNING DESIBBILITYS AND YES WRITING AND SPELLING IS SOME OF THEM IHAVE AHARD TIME KEEPING A JOB BECAUSE I GET HURT FEELINGS VERY EASLY AND THEN I SAY AND DO THINGS I LATTER WISH I HAD NOT. I ALSO GET FRUSTERATED KNOWING I HAVE WASTED MY LIFE I TELL MY WIFE THAT I HAVE THOUGHT SOMETIMES I SHOULD KILL MY SELF BUT I WOULD PROBABLY DO THAT WRONG TOO. MY POINT IS YOU ARE STILL YOUNG AND A BRIGHT FUTURE AND HAVE A CHANCE TO AJUST YOUR LIFE AND BECUASE OF BEING IN SCHOOL IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE YOU WILL BEABLE TO TRY TO STOP PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ME FROM GOING UNDIOGNOSTED FOR SO LONG. I WOULD ASK FOR YOU ,ME AND MY 20 YEAR OLD SON WHO FAILLED UNIVERSATY AND THEY ASK HIM TO NOT RETURN AND STILL SAYS HE HAS NO ADD. PLEASE YOUR ANGER AND EMOTHIONS ARE REAL,BUT FOR THOSE OF US OUT HERE WATING AND PRAYING THAT THE DOCTOR WILL UNDERSTAND, JUST MAYBE THE TIMING IS JUST ABOUT RIGHT. SO HAVING SAID THAT I HOPE THIS HELPS AND FOR MANY LIVES THAT YOU WILL HELP IN FUTURE I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK-YOU. PLEASE DO NOT LET YOUR EMOTIONS CONTROL YOUR FUTURE.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

HI TO REST SORRY FOR GETTING OFFTRACK I AM A VERY SENSITIVE PERSON MY BOSS TOLD ME THURSDAY IN FRONT OF EVERYONE WHEN STARTED TO YELL ATME ISAIDI IWAS THINKING I WAS DRIVING RIGHT BY THAT ADDRESS SO I WOULD STOP AND DROP THE BOX OFF, HERE WHENT ON TO SAY HE WAS NOT PAYING ME TO THINK JUST TO DRIVE THE TRUCK, I KNOW THAT THE MEDS ARE WORKING BECAUCE WITHOUT THE MEDS I WOULD HAVE ASKED HIM IF HE WAS TOTALLY STUPIED OR IF THAT TOOK EFFORT AND THEN BEEN OUT OF A JOB INSTEAD I SAID THERE WAS NO NEED TO YELL AT ME. HIS REPLY WAS WE ARE ALL MEN HERE THERE IS NO NEED TO BE SO SENSITIVE WE ARE ALL MEN HERE. IHAVE STARTED TO LOOK FOR A NEW JOB , I KNOW THE MEDS ARE WORKING BECAUCE I STILL HAVE A JOB AND THEN OFER TO LET HIM HIT ME AND THEN GO ON OND SAY WHEN I GET UP THEN TODAYYOU ARE GOING TO MEET JESUS BECAUCE I WILL SEND YOU TO MEET HIM. I STILL WOULD LIKE TOO BUT I SILL HAVE AJOB SO FOR KNOW IWILL KEEP LOOKING AND BITTING MY TOUGE. THANKS FOR THE THEARPY,

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@trashman, it’s not being “sensitive”. NOBODY should be told off or yelled at in front of their co-workers. If your boss did that, and he’s in the habit of doing that, then he’s a BULLY.

Are you a union employee? If you are, talk to your shop steward immediately. You may have grounds for a grievance.

If you’re not a union employee, talk to your HR department immediately. You don’t have to put up with abuse like that at work, especially if you’ve already told them that you have this legitimate medical condition which is affecting your on-the-job performance.

You’re on the right track about looking for a new job. You might want to look for something in the not-for-profit sector, because they tend to be much more accepting of those with disabilities, or for whom the standard 9-to-5 corporate world isn’t a good fit. Charity Village (http://www.charityvillage.ca) is a great place to look for these jobs.

Good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This video was linked to http://adults_add.livejournal.com earlier this year, and it might explain what’s going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cw8jHUkHiA&feature=player_embedded

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)