Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

There's a "tone" to my voice that everyone hates

There's a "tone" to my voice that everyone hates2011-07-29T12:48:55+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? There's a "tone" to my voice that everyone hates

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author

kc5jck
    Participant

How many of you guys fit the descriptions in this article about the difference in the way men and women communicate?

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/04/01/6-ways-men-and-women-communicate-differently/

Is seems my wife and I fit this to the extreme. And the article is talking about normal, non-ADHD individuals. Perhaps my wife and I are extremely normal.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wish I had the time and patience to read all the replies, but just the few I read resonate with me. To kc5jck – it IS very confusing isn’t it? Who knows? Is it ADHD? Is it a male/female thang? Is it IQ? Is it learning style? Is it because of a childhood trauma? Is it regional/cultural/familial…? Is it because I was so shy for so long that I finally just burst from the shell and can’t contain it anymore? The original post- the “tone”- was a big part of my last relationship break up. I’m told that I sound as if I’m talking to a child. Well, duh, I’m a teacher of elementary school children with disabilities. And sometimes I feel like I relate more to them than I do to adults. At least the kids have a good excuse- they’re kids. What’s the excuse for adults who bother the he** out of you? My teenaged son has told me for years that I “yell” at him…when I know I’m not yelling. I’m pretty sure it’s “the tone.” But if he didn’t act foolish or do dumb things or try to get me to do things for him, I wouldn’t have to take “the tone.” I’m pretty sure it’s a condescending, you’re-acting-so-dumb tone. I’ve even been told that when I report a conversation as if I were the male speaker, I use a voice that makes it apparent that I think men are stupid. ARRRG! What is THAT? BEcause I use a pretend gruff voice? We all know that everyone is f***ed up, it’s just a matter of how, to what extent, and the effects. I don’t think I’m better than anyone, and I am sure I wouldn’t appreciate anyone making me feel that way. But HONESTLY, I’m not consciously thinking AT THAT TIME that I’m being degrading or condescending. It just comes out. I wish I had a special view finder that let me see myself and my actions as others see them. Right there, on the spot. I think I’d be a much happier person. At least I’d get the enjoyment of knowing that I’d insulted the people I really DON’T like and WISH I could insult- but funny enough those are generally the ones who don’t seem to notice or care anything about my “tone”?!?! LOL.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is really interesting to me because it doesn’t really match my experiences. I’m often told I’m the most polite person that people have ever met! I am super concious about tone of vocie- to the point where if someone’s tone is just a little ‘off’ (even from, say, tiredness and not frustration) I nearly have a panic attack of how much they hate me. Haha. I guess it’s pretty ADDish to be extreme one way or the other. I’m the first person to be offended when I feel like someone is rude!

But at the same time I also fall into that trap of talking WAYYYYYYY too much about myself. I’m getting better at it lately, but I used to haaaaaaaate myself because I’d hear it and not be able to stop the narcisstic word-vomit from coming out. Haha. It just got to the point where my stories were so exhausting to me, I legitimately became more interested in other people’s stories. Also I hang around people who like to talk more now too, which helps! I find that if someone is not very open but not necessarily adverse to talking, that’s when I talk about myself too much. If they obviously don’t want to speak I’m okay with not talking at all…

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Twilightfades, this is more similar to my experience.

I get a lot of social anxiety based around my feelings that I’m picking up negative tones or words. I feel like I notice people’s tone, body language and facial expression and need them to really be able to pay attention to what people are saying. conference calls are a nightmare.

However, although I feel that I’m able to pick up on other people’s body language etc, I don’t think people pick up on mine very well. What ever it is I’m doing or not doing I don’t know but I’m often misinterpreted. My husband needs things to be spelled out but he’s on the aspie side so that’s fair enough, but other people – I think I’m getting it wrong somehow but I don’t know how!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh yeah, I avoid phone calls as much as I can, I can’t handle them! I can’t understand people very well and it makes me so anxious!

I agree, I feel like I pick up on tone and body language a lot more than anyone else does and it causes some frustrations some times, though I haven’t run into too many problems with people not understanding mine. Though at the same time I generally try to use my body language to NOT be too noticable and blend in, since I always feel like my speech makes me stand out!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)