Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin2011-05-06T00:29:20+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication Antidepressants Wellbutrin

Free medication video
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does this help at all with ADD/ADHD? My doctor seems to think it’s the cats meow, every chance he gets he tells me that it can do everything. I took it for month but it didn’t do anything, I finally asked for Adderal and he agreed but told me that Wellbutrin would do the same thing..

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Well, it’s prescribed sometimes for ADD/ADHD. I suppose it must work for some people.

I tried it once. Nothing happened for a week. Not a thing. Then, on about the seventh day, I woke up sure I was dying. In fact, I was SO sure, I had somebody take me to see my lawyer—to amend my will—before I went to the doctor. He took me off the med immediately, and a few days later I was fine. So… maybe you should wait for the next person to post. Perhaps they will have had a better experience.

Good luck.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

it helped me minimally in the ADD case. it does lift some fog and slows things down, in a good way. the way i understand it, it is not enough of a dopamine kicker to work as well as typical ADD meds, like Adderal. but for me, it was a start.

good luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wellbutrin seems to be Kaiser’s first drug of choice. It took me 2 weeks before I noticed any change in my thought or behavior patterns and it was a really frustrating period to keep taking a medication that didn’t seem to do anything. I have yet to hear of any ADHD person achieving any amount of therapudic relief, other than “slowly down”. Unfortunately, for me, the slowly down also reduced my motivation, my enthusiasim, my creativity and all of my passion. Made me totally “beige”. I wasn’t happy anymore, I wasn’t anything anymore. I wasn’t depressed before starting Wellbutrin, but developed symptoms of depression. When I titrated off the medication, 4 weeks after being completely off, was one of the worst periods in my life. It took about a week to recover.

I started taking Adderall about 3 months ago. Once my ideal level of dosage was found: Ah-ha!!! moments, clarity, increased producitivity, patience, RELIEF. I was so pissed off at my doctor because I had phenomenal results within 4 or 5 days of starting Adderall, but when through a horrible 2 months of a drug that did nothing.

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

I started on Welbutrin (generic) back in August. Two hours after I took the fist dose my mind went quiet for the first time in my life. I was totally freaked out but in a good way. To be totally in the moment is a very, very rare thing for me. I stopped making mistakes, i was able to follow through on tasks, reports etc. It was heaven for about three weeks. Then i started making mistakes again, transposing numbers in an accounting job is not a good thing so the doctor upped the dosage. I was still having panic attacks and still having trouble sleeping. After another three weeks I started making mistakes again but the temp job I was on ended. Unfortunatly my body chemistry is such that 12 hour meds do not last 12 hours and I get used to any long term medication. A couple of weeks ago I stopped taking it because the side effects were worse than the small benifit I was getting. I have decided that I have had ADD all of my 58 years and I have lived with it with some success and now I can learn to deal without the meds. The meds are supposed to be training wheels anyway not a long term solution (with some exceptions i’m sure).

Decide to be happy! Being happy is the best medicine for any situation. And being happy is an inside job, no one else is going to do it for you! No one else can reach inside you and make you happy. They may do things that increase your happiness and make you feel good. I know. Before I discovered this truth, and it was very, very recently, I could be in a room full of people that were there just for me and still feel alone and unloved and unhappy. Now I can be in a room by myself and be happy and feel loved because I love myself. I have forgiven my self for trying to fit this star shaped peg in the round and square and trianglular holes. I have let go of the guilt and anger, you can’t change the past. I have started doing things that I had given up because of overwhelm and it has increased my happiness. I have the power to shape the rest of my life on my terms in spite of the ADD. Now if I could just find my car keys and my list…. :D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wellbutrin (generic is called buproprion) also called Zyban in the US, is a noradrenergic reuptake inhibitor. It is used off-label for ADHD (the company did not do specific studies looking for an indication but research does support it’s use). It has few doses so that makes titration difficult. You can combine psychostimulants with buproprion but watch for CV issues.

Contraindicated for anyone with a prior seizure disorder.

Always speak to your doctor before making any changes to medications. Dr. Jain provides advice generically and not for any one person. Advice does not constitute a therapeutic relationship or promise of care. Please consult the privacy policy for more information.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been taking wellbutrin 300xl for almost a year and have found it works pretty well. i have combination type ADHD and motivation issues. The welbutrin has helped with my impulsivity (though I am still quite impulsive) and has helped a bit with motivation issues. I take it with dexidrine and cymbalta.

I am wondering if anybody has got cyctin acne as a result of this medication. I have NEVER had porblems with my skin, and now I am 28 and in the year I’ve been on meds I have been getting these random HUGE underground cysts on my otherwise clear skin. I am taking a pill from my dermatologist which is supposed to be really good for females with this problem (spironolactone) but it seems to be getting worse.

I don’t know if this acne is a result of the meds r just my hormones. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just been prescribed wellbutrin for my ADHD and I am extremely hesitant to start taking it. I have been informed that it can cause seizures especially while drinking. I am 25 yrs old and am not about to give up having a good time and drinking here and there. Can I still drink while taking it?

I have had a lot of trouble finding the right drug for me since I found out I have ADHD when I was 17. I have tried concerta, dexidrine, aderal, and vyvanse. I have found none of them have had any serious positive effects on me, mainly just side effects. At the moment I am back on the dex as it has the least negative effects on me.

Does anyone take dex along with wellbutrin? if so how is it working for you? Again, I am super hesitant to start taking an antidepressant especially while on any other drugs.

Any info or personal experience with these drugs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was diagnosed as ADH Sugust 3rd, i have had it for over 60 years tho. Started Wellbutrin 300 , had a few brief panic attacks,

but unsure if it is the drug or not. Has done nothing for my hyper mind, nor has it helped with restless, short sleep or lack of focus, racing adrenalin and subsequent exhaustion .

Somehow, in BC we seem to lose family doctors, they come and go, we just lost ours so may only be able to access the walk in clinic.

Canada’s provinces seem a bit slack in dealing with the ongoing and long anticpated shortage of medics.. cranky adh.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

my doctor added Wellbutrine XR 300mg to my Adderall 40mg dose about six weeks ago. I have found it incredibly helpful – far more than I expected it would be. I find that it helps a great deal with impulse control, and it seems to have really improved my ability to (verbally) articulate myself, which has created a lot of difficulty for me in the past. I also feel as though this improvement in articulation/communication has had a very positive impact on my relationship. it is wonderful!

however – I have noticed that since taking the Wellbutrine it feels as though I have a sinus cold that just *will*not* quit. usually I don’t get sick much at all, and only for three days at the most when I do. I’ve read that in rare cases Wellbutrine can cause bronchitis and/or sinusitis. it seems unlikely that I would be in the 1% of people who experience this side effect, but I am not sure what else to make of it.

has anyone else had this experience? if so, what helped?

I don’t want to be stuck taking cold medicine constantly, but I also don’t want to just feel run down every day. :(

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I took wellbutrin. It was the last medication I took. Granted I have only been off medication for 7 or 8 months now. But Wellbutrin gave me a mean streak, I’m talking really mean. I would try and pick fights (though I did that before and still do, I don’t do it as aggressively) , pick on little kids; basically it made me a real jerk. In addition it made me sleepy, I would sleep on average 15 – 20 hours a day. This was on the smallest dose too! Plus it made whatever hours I was awake seem like time stood still. May not happen to you, but it happened to me.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I was diagnosed with ADHD, with anxiety/depresion a year ago. My Doctor first prescribed Zoloft, but it made me a zombie and I was sleeping all day. Then I was prescribed Wellbutrin 300mg and vyvanse 30mg and I am clear thinking, relaxed person, no more

racing thoughts/ anxiety. I have so much energy, I get everything done that needs to be done in a day. I too felt that I had a chest cold and sinus problems at first, but I found that exercise, walking, mountainbiking clears me up. If I do not exercise, I get the congestion again. So I make time every day 1/2 hour to an hour. This may not be possible for everyone because of work.

Cheers

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting. I was diagnosed with ADD 3 years ago, some months later I was started on ritalin, but that didn’t do much for me after a while (didn’t really do much good for me at all really, but effects were noticeable at first) so I quit. I can’t remember for sure but I think some months later I decided I wanted meds again and I got wellbutrin. This didn’t do anything at all, ever. I think the only thing I noticed was a slightly increased heartbeat and some more tension in my neck and shoulders (ritalin caused the same sideeffects, but worse). So after 2 or 3 months of that I stopped it as well.

I’m now on dexamfetamine, which I think helps me focus occasionally, when I’m working on something which I want to do (such as music, but not sorting out finances), I’m motivated and feeling good. I’ve been considering trying something new again.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i was on it 300 xl for 7months did not do anything at all. added 80 m strattera to it and no change in adhd

except i became really anxious .. more so than before taking the pills. stopped both in january, had withdrawal

side effects and finally now clear of that crap $240/ month thanks to BC Canada not covering psych meds under

their halfassed drug plan .. but still have adhd etc .. cant do speed as over 60 and have aneurism etc . great fun.

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

I had a horrible reaction to Wellbutrin FWIW. I had mood swings including anything from deep depression to full blown rages.

Good luck!

http://acatwithadhd.com

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)