Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What to replace anxiety with to get something done?

What to replace anxiety with to get something done?2011-09-28T01:14:14+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community What to replace anxiety with to get something done?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

Thanks all.

Yes, anxiety gives me the rush of urgency that helps me get stuff done. I’ve ALWAYS been highly anxious and it’s just disappeared and I don’t know how to generate it to get the urgent stuff done! Not that I want to be anxious, but you know what I mean.

No, I’m not on meds yet. It’s a slow process here – they’re not ‘registered’ (I know that’s the wrong word but my mind is blank) for adult use in this country so someone has to be prepared to prescribe it and monitor it and I need some heart tests done…it’ll take time.

Quizzical – yes – that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I’m really frustrated by it all and prone to tears. I filled up when I spilt my change all down the stairs by holding the jeans I’d just taken off upside down. I do it ALL the time, but now it’s a Really Big Deal when I do things like that.

Also, I often take most of my clothes off as soon as the kids are in bed – they annoy me – and I’m always too hot. Which is why I was carrying my jeans!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

Ritalin helps greatly to focus, but it’s not enough. Once my anxiety level gets too high, it becomes nearly impossible to think. Meditation will bring your emotional state back into balance. I use rituals specific to my spirituality, but there are plenty out there to choose from. More meds isn’t always better.

REPORT ABUSE

Lucky77

I have found that a lot of anxiety I was experiencing was due to being in an ADHD tailspin – missing (deadlines/commitments/opportunities), frantically trying to recover, getting many “we’re disappointed in you” talks then my self esteem would plummet. So I just “tried harder” and continually live at warp speed. I did get lots accomplished, however many of the balls I had in the air would come crashing down around me still… *snif*

Going on medication didn’t take away the drive to get things done, or dampen my quick start personality. What it did was allow me to get precision sharp on one thing and able to move on to the next after completion. Now, it wasn’t all just medication, I have been incorporating some other strategies as well. Meeting with a psychologist has been so beneficial in creating these strategies and getting tips on how to stick to them. If you have insurance, some plans will cover a percentage of these sessions.

I am so sorry that where you live you do not have access to the medication like some of us other folks. I suppose everyone’s journey is different, and I hope you are able to get through the rig a ma roll of all those tests, and get some support through your Dr.

On another note, I too hate the uncomfortableness of clothing, am hot all the time as well and consider wool to be my kryptonite :P

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Seriously, I’ve lost my husband’s new cash card after he had to replace his old one when I forgot his pin number and locked it.

Then, tonight, I got some shopping, went to pay for it and I’d left my card at home.

AGAIN.

I am a complete mess. This is the worst I have ever, ever been and I have no idea what to do about it.

Odd thing, even this is raising some anxiety in me. Nothing!

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Tiddler – a lightbulb just went off for me… I experienced something like what you’re talking about when I was on Celexa. I was taking it for fibro-myalgia and anxiety, and I kept going on higher and higher doses over about a 5 year period. It didn’t do a thing for my forgetfulness, but it worked pretty well for anxiety. Problem is, I just got so apathetic. My Mom said – you’ve never been this nice in your life 😆 , but my husband was like – you have no emotions, you don’t care about anything or what happens… I would forget things, lose things, screw things up bad, and just be like – whatever… It took a long time to finally decide to go off it just to see what my normal mind state would be. (I had been “self medicating” for years prior, so really didn’t know what “normal” was for me) It took forever to get off of it – I had to go super slow because the side effects were so bad, but eventually I got my emotions (and libido) back. Now I’m back to my prickly, sassy, worrisome self, and I don’t think I would have figured out this whole ADD thing if I hadn’t chosen to go off Celexa. I still need to deal with the anxiety piece, but – – baby steps, right? Anyway, I just thought I’d share that in case it rings any bells for you…

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Tiddler since you can’t take medication at the moment, are you doing any physical exercise? If not , I know it’s highly recommended for ADDm to help relieve sysmtoms. I don’t do enough, at the moment I just walk my dogs, but if I don’t do that I know I feel even more sluggish.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Oh. Thank you!

I came off the fluoxetine when i was diagnosed. I wonder if there’s a link there? I just thought it wasn’t donig anything for me…

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

(((HUGS)))

Sounds a lot like where I was when I was waiting/wondering about getting diagnosed. I realize you’re already diagnosed, but since this is pretty early in the game for you the stages might still be similar. I was definitely slipping up a lot more over the summer, because the preoccupation with the ADD idea was so huge. Even now I still sense I’m in the process of accepting the diagnosis all the way through – perhaps that’s what’s happening to you, and you just need some time to really get your head around it.

How are you sleeping? If you’re tossing and turning more than usual that will impact your daytime functioning. I was on a sleep med for a month before my diagnosis, and it helped. Actually, it came in handy as I was adjusting to the ADD meds as well. Lost a couple of nights sleep when I went off the sleep meds, but it was worth it in the long run.

If you’re so inclined, you might see if you can think creatively about what might work for you. Helpful tips are fun, but when you come up with an idea yourself you’re far more motivated to implement it! Think about your out-the-door routine, for instance – what can you do to make sure you have what you need? Go ahead and waste some time making colorful signs or amusing checklists, things that will be fun to see and make you laugh. Don’t worry if they all don’t work; you’re experimenting!

A good book: ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau. Positive and practical. Even if you don’t use a thing in it, reading it will get your gears turning and make you feel empowered.

http://www.amazon.com/ADD-Friendly-Ways-Organize-Your-Life/dp/1583913580/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318108985&sr=8-4

Hang in there!

For what it’s worth, I’m having one of my least-focused days since going on meds. PMS is definitely the culprit. Earlier today I had to make my husband abandon his Saturday plans and drive me and the kids to the store because I was just too flustered to do it; I was melting down right there in the driveway, with my daughter’s best friend in the car. Sigh. There will always be Those Days, I guess.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Yeah! Fluoxetine – Also an SSRI like Celexa – maybe since you’re off it, you’ll gradually get more “edge” back… I’m no expert, but I see some hope there! Something to ask your doc about? Hang in there! You too Quiz – I’m having one of those days myself – hiding in my room with my friend the computer…

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Thanks all, that really helps.

I LOVE the permission to make the signs and checklists. I think that’s just what the doctor ordered.

The funny thing about the prozac was that I didn’t feel like it did anything. It’s since I came off it that the anxiety has gone, though that’s always been with me. But it’s something else in the mix and I really need some professional help to unpick it. that’s what’s completely lacking at the moment.

But I’ve got a deadline – Monday 5.30am (when I need to leave for London) and I’ve got a lot to do before then, so if I don’t start panicking tomorrow at some point I’ll be amazed!

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Also, I’ve been pretty sure for the last year that I’m perimenopausal.

I’m guessing, when you mention PMT, that probably makes things worse too?

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I haven’t really made any kind of start on the work I have to get done tonight. I’ve found this article that explains a little of what I think is going on. It’s about having too little adrenaline and how deadlines produce enough anxiety to generate enough adrenaline to focus, except that sometimes people get too much all of a sudden adn that can make it worse.

I’m getting nothing. I’ve no clue how to fix it. This work HAS to get done on time.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

On the upside, I checked I had my cash card before I went shopping today.

On the down side, I was too embarrassed to go to either of my local shops, went to another one close by but took a turn too early then got stuck in traffic then got lost then ended up over spending in the supermarket.

On the upside, I picked up some snack for the journey tomorrow.

On the downside, I’ll probably eat it tonight while I’m sitting not getting my work done!

:)

Edit – I also put the margerine tub in the laundry basket. I have no idea how that happened, but my husband isn’t even surprised any more by the frequency of these things.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Wgreen
    Participant

Now this is really… interesting. I’ve always heard the missing ingredient in ADD brains is dopamine. And, due to constant anxiety, I’ve always heard that ADDers often have HIGH levels of adrenalin(e) in the blood—levels so high they can lead to coronary heart disease.

Whew! So many theories. So many “experts.” It makes you just want to throw up your hands!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)