Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What to replace anxiety with to get something done?

What to replace anxiety with to get something done?2011-09-28T01:14:14+00:00

The Forums Forums Ask The Community What to replace anxiety with to get something done?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Tiddler

I found this. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/46041.php

ADHD stimulants boost levels of two neurotransmitters, or chemical messengers in the brain, known as dopamine and norepinephrine. Dopamine is thought to play a role in memory formation and the onset of addictive behaviors, while norepinephrine has been linked with arousal and attentiveness.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

I think norepinephrine and epinephrine are other names for noradrenaline and adrenaline? Which I think are basically the same chemical but produced in different ways?

REPORT ABUSE

Wgreen
    Participant

Beyond my pay grade…

BUT—I was once told by my GP that adrenaline can have a corrosive effect of the vascular system; that the reason stress is so bad for the heart is because it increases adrenaline levels in the blood.

Here, from WebMD: “If stress itself is a risk factor for heart disease, it could be because chronic stress exposes your body to unhealthy, persistently elevated levels of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol.”

Now, I can confirm that ADD causes stress and anxiety—it’s a natural response to life spinning out of control. And we read that “chronic stress exposes [a] body to unhealthy, persistently elevated levels of stress hormones like adrenaline…”

So I suppose my question is, why wouldn’t higher adrenaline levels caused by stress/anxiety mitigate any deficiency that might otherwise exist??

I don’t know. I’m confused and, as I said, out of my league.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Wgreen, I think that’s it exactly for me. Why wouldn’t higher adrenaline elvels caused by stress/anxiety mitigate any deficiency that might otherwise exist?

I think it has to a point for me. I think it’s brought with it a lot of dangers, for sure, and it’s unpleasant. But I think it’s also lessened some of the problems I’ve had. It’s been how I’ve managed – I’ve got into a lather about things and that’s given me the push to get them done eventually, most of the time.

It’s 7.30pm and I’ve STILL not got that feeling and I’ve STILL not got my work done. I’d expect to be panicking and, however stressful and unpleasant the panic is, actually well into getting the work done by now if my previous experience is anything to go by. But I’m still stuck in the ‘keep drifting off and forgetting I’m supposed to be working’ stage now.

REPORT ABUSE

munchkin

Before I even thought of ADD, I went to a naturopathic doctor and they did this hourly saliva test for cortisol. She said I had “adrenal fatigue” – probably stress related. I think cortisol is needed for adrenaline. Anyway, I took hydrocortisone for awhile and it had a dramatic effect on my energy level and metabolism – I thought it was a positive experience, although I stopped taking it – didn’t want to be on it long-term. Still – my energy level was improved even after I stopped taking it. From what I understood, the adrenal gland can become impaired from too much stress and become less effective in producing the corisol/adrenaline effect, and there are treatments for that. That might be something to look into… I’m not sure if that’s a naturopath type thing, or if a normal doc is knowledgable in that department?? I’ve gone to a lot of different types of practitioners out of desperation to function better, and they all have such different approaches….

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

From what I understood, the adrenal gland can become impaired from too much stress and become less effective in producing the corisol/adrenaline effect, and there are treatments for that.

That’s very interesting. It’s a long time I’ve been dealing with high levels of stress – and it has come out physically from being very young. This is something to take to my doc, I think. thank you.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

this is interesting..i have anxiety and notice the panic/adrerenal rush and then the crash of fatigue … connects to my ADH it seems ?

will have to get more info

REPORT ABUSE

Kissarissa

Tiddler – I know what you are talking about.

REPORT ABUSE

ashockley55
    Participant

I heard somewhere that ADD can also be linked to autoimmune disorders or that once ADD is treated some autoimmune disorders improve because of the link of stress to so many of the physical ailments that occur out there.

As for me, I have developed autonomic nervous system dysfunction as a result of a virus I contracted years and years ago. I think the virus hit me so hard (it was like a flu, but not the flu) because I was so stressed. Why was I so stressed? Because I was trying to teach high school and struggling. Why was I struggling?

Well……ADD

It all tracks back!

So, I struggle with dysautonomia in the form of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, which is the result of low blood pressure upon standing. The heart races to get the blood circulating. Otherwise, I feel dizzy and have near-syncope (fainting).

Mind and Body are truly connected!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)