Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What you may be doing that keeps you from making friends

What you may be doing that keeps you from making friends2010-06-08T17:11:50+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Other What you may be doing that keeps you from making friends

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Circetay

My definition of hyper-focus for myself is that I get stuck on something and it’s all I can think about, even if I don’t want to.

It’s like a short-term obsession/addiction that you have.

I got hyper-focused on downloading music in my iPod for a party at my house and every spare second I was at the computer, researching songs, looking up titles etc etc..ignoring my spouse because that’s all I could think of doing until it was finished.

If it’s a good book I can’t stop reading and it’s all I can think about.

When I was a teen, I ditched a date (and believe me, I got very few) after one hour, because I Had to come home and finish the book I had started to read that day.

(Helter Skelter…Yikes!)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know what you mean MerryMac. Although mine is not as severe as yours I do obsess on either unfinished tasks or some idea or thought I’ve got on my mind. I can make my self bite the bullet and struggle through events but I’m constantly thinking about what ever my obsession is. I get back to what ever I’m obsessing on the first second I get the chance. It often makes me irritable while I wait. At best I’m a bad host or guest because I don’t engage in socializing very well.

I had the same experience you had with making the perfect play list for a Hawaii themed party we were hosting. I spent hours finding the perfect music for the party even though I could have just tuned in a Hawaii themed station on Pandora.com. But they would play non-perfect music. I continued for 30 minutes after the party started and probably would have kept going if my wife hadn’t come in and yelled at me for being rude to our guests.

This also contributed to me losing a very good job.

Tell you doctor about it. Ask for meds for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, particularly those that help treat obsessive thinking. You probably don’t have OCD but that doesn’t mean that the meds won’t help. I’m trying that right now but it’s too early to tell if it’s effective.

Good luck,

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Wrong_Writer!

I know I have some OCD and I try to knock it back to a mere hyper-focus.

I’ve always thought of it as having a weird super-power. If there’s something coming up, I know I’ll do it and do it well.( Even if it temporarily kills me)

I’ve found that planning blocks of time for the HF/OCD really helps to decrease the intensity. Also when I’m done the task I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

It’s usually with things that I like to do, so I try to enjoy the process and keep in mind not to ignore my husband when I get gripped by it. I’ve asked him to come and get me when I’m going overboard and he has been good about it.

I set limits..for example when I was looking up the music for my party, I set a deadline for the download a couple of days before the party so I could listen to the music and make the necessary changes if needed. I also put other people in charge so that if they wanted to change the song, they could. Giving away resposibility helped.

I also put someone else in charge of the BBQ..knowing that I’d be overloaded and not focusing on anything.

I guess being aware of it and trying to work with it or wait it out works best for me.

One time I got stuck cleaning out my closet for 12 hours and it wasn’t bad to begin with, but hey..now I don’t have to do it for a long time!

:)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 49. Now at 51 I`m finding out why I have always felt odd.

I really appreciated the one comment about meeting someone with similar traits and they drive you absolutely crazy. At least it forced me to learn some self-control during interactions so I wouldn`t sound like the person who was driving me crazy.

I started playing a small electronic solitaire game for hours in the washroom when I got tired of looking for material to read in there.

Its such a relief to know I`m not the only odd one in the world.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s unfortunate and ironic gmoniz. We ADDers have such a hard time making friends anyway only to also find often (not always) it’s even harder to be friends with ones we want to the most, and logically should be able to easiest: the people suffering through the same struggles.

Just in the last two weeks I’ve been on both ends of this. I attend a local area Adult ADHD meet-up group. At the last one I met a newly diagnosed late 40s man whose life had followed a similar track as mine (diagnosed late after damage was already done). He was nice and I thought I could help him avoid or diminish the the emotional pain I knew he had in store for the future. We talked after the meeting and hit it off really well. We exchanged phone numbers and emails and I told him I would send him some info and web sites that I found particularly helpful. The next day he called me three times. I returned his call while sitting in a shopping center parking lot because, to me, if someone calls three times in one day it must be important. He just wanted to say hi, that he enjoyed meeting me, and asked when I would send the info I promised. I thought to myself: Are you kidding? That’s what was so urgent? I was annoyed! But I thought about the ADD and politely told him I would try to get the info to him in a few days or as soon as I can find the time. It ended up taking a few weeks but I kept in touch by email to let him know I hadn’t forgotten.

Then I got a call from him while on vacation in Florida complaining that no one was calling him back. I nearly flipped. I told him, if he plans to befriend others with ADD, he needs to get used to it. THAT’S WHAT ADD IS! I explained that I returned the only call(s) he ever made to me and that he had never replied to any of my emails though he acknowledge he got them. As if I hadn’t spoken he went on to state how disappointed he was in me that I hadn’t sent him the info I promised yet. I realized he wasn’t going to hear anything I had to say so I just apologized and told him I’d send it that day. I spent the next 1.5 hours of my vacation putting together an email with hyperlinks, descriptions, and what each web page, book, or document was good for. Of course, I never got a response or thank you.

On the other side, I met up with a girl from the same group. We had similar goals and struggled with many of the same handicaps from the ADD so we decided to be “accountability partners.” In other words, we would coach each other and follow-up with each other regularly to ensure we were each doing what we committed to and not procrastinating. We made a date to meet at a coffee house to determine the ground rules and expectations. During the conversation I discovered she didn’t know much about the neurological causes of ADD symptoms. To me that meant she still thought of ADD as a problem of willpower. She said she just wanted somebody to help keep her motivated and on track and that her plate was too full right now to start learning the science. But I couldn’t let it go and insisted she would fail if she didn’t educate herself. I pounded her with data from studies showing the best treatment for adult ADHD is educating one’s self about it and that not doing so reduced her chances significantly in succeeding at the Accountability Partner thing. I believe I was right but, did it help to beat her over the head with the info. No. Ultimately she decided we weren’t a good match for this. I should have let it go. She would have learned in her own time. But I became the pushy know-it-all I describe above and ensured she would be less receptive to information on ADD in the future.

Now I’m being long-winded so I’ll sign off. Thanks for replying to my post.

BTW – I do the same thing with the video game in the bathroom. The only thing that gets me out of there is my legs start to go numb and fall asleep, otherwise I would probably be in there hours. It’s the one room you can isolate yourself, people leave you alone, and no one thinks you’re being rude. Unless you’re in there for hours of course ;-)

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where can I access the research or ADD info you talked about? I need to learn, I know I can’t beat my weaknesses by will power or discipline until I know what I’m up against. I’ve spent far too many years trying to figure out why I am the way I am, and why I can’t seem to change. As much as I want a magic formula to change me I realize I’m going to have to work to win.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

In the interest of time I’m cutting and pasting the contents of an email I sent to another person who asked for a layman friendly list of sources on ADHD. My lists always contain sources with good scientific backing but I did leave some of the more technical sources off this list at the request of person for whom I made it. If you want more technical sources let me know. The videos from Dr. Russell Barkley at the CADDAC site below and also at USC Berkley (Search YouTube for Dr. Barkley USC).

Best websites for Adult ADD:

http://totallyadd.com Makers of the best documentary “ADD and Loving IT” which will be broadcast on PBS December 10. Check ADD Meet-up message board for details. The site is very accurate and (more importantly) assembled in an entertaining way. The videos are excellent. Some funny; some serious; all informative.

http://www.caddac.ca/ Canada is much more advanced in their knowledge and acceptance of Adult ADHD. This site has loads of excellent info. In particular, check out the Videos section. Any video featuring Dr. Barkley will be very informative. He is one of the leading researchers currently on Adult ADHD and he is a very good public speaker (so no dry technical talk. Uses layman lingo).

http://www.add.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Resources US version of CADDAC: ADDA. Not as good as the Canadian site but some good links on the Resources page.

http://www.adult-adhd.com/ I just found this site recently so I haven’t explored it thoroughly but what I have seen seems accurate and informative. The site is logical and not too overwhelming.

Best Books:

“So I’m Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?” Best first book to read for late diagnosed adults.

“Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder” Essential reading for you spouse. Written to help spouses and family understand ADHD, what it is, the tolls it takes on their loved ones, and how to deal with it. Offers techniques and advice for setting realistic expectations, how she can support and help you overcome your difficulties, how you both can work together, and things you can do to help her accept your neurologically caused difficulties and work to reduce the stress she is under because of them.

“Journeys Through ADDulthood: Discover a New Sense of Identity and Meaning with Attention Deficit Disorder” Great book to help deal with the emotional and psychological difficulties late diagnosed adults go through. She breaks it down into stages similar to the stages of grief most people are familiar with. This book will help you deal with the pain you are experiencing from the fall-out of this disorder.

“More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD” The best self-help book I’ve found. Dr. Ari Tuckman has taken the current science and built a logical and realistic treatment plan to help overcome the challenges of ADHD. This book is the self-help version of the technique he created for clinicians to use in treating their adult ADHD patients. I actually found that book to be as informative and helpful (and not too technical). If interested it is “Integrative Treatment for Adult ADHD: A Practical, Easy-To-Use Guide for Clinicians”

“ADHD in Adults” A summary of the most recent scientific findings. This is somewhat technical but if you are interested in what is known and proven scientifically this is a good read. I summarizes in what is essentially a large pamphlet the findings of two major research studies he published in a large volume called “ADHD in Adults: What the Science Says” which was written for scientist and academics.

http://www.drthomasebrown.com/pdfs/Executive_Functions_by_Thomas_Brown.pdf” An excellent article by Dr. Thomas Brown describing the areas of Executive Function inhibited by ADHD, the areas of the brain affected, what they control in our behavior, and how they present themselves in adults with the disorder.

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

The hyperlinks for the books didn’t carry over. They are coppied and pasted from Amazon.com so you should be able to copy and paste right back word for word to find the books if interested.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anybody have a problem that they can never express themselves correctly? Where when you talk, people don’t understand what the heck your talking about and then they say something, and you are like…that’s exactly what I said.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Yeah – and I get frustrated as it’s SO simple, everyone should see what I see. Like I’ve been explaining to the boss at work that a certain employee or two are trouble – one in particular is all BS and has never done the things he claims. I also see a lot of stuff going on, mis-use of computers (gov’t agency, but personal computer use) but it seems I’m the only one that “Gets it”.

Until recently, that is……… a co-worker has a son who is AD/HD and when I approached her about how I could see things others just weren’t getting, anyway, suddenly it clicked, and she realizes I have this “ability” as so does her son!

It’s like a 6th sense, I “see” things, or can put things together, I can take 1 or 2 actions and often predict future actions or trends in people. But they can’t get what I’m talking about. And it’s impossible to “quantify”.

Back on the types, although I see myself in most of those in the original list – this one frustrates me most:

>>or tends to try to pull conversations back to earlier topics that others have already moved on from (usually because a new thought just occurred to him/her and the ADDer can’t stop the impulsive need to verbalize it}.

<<

As yes, suddenly a great thought will come to me and it seems critical that I get it out and have trouble “dropping it” – again, as “can’t you see it? Don’t you get it? It should be so obvious.

People want me at meetings as I’m really quite smart and technical and can solve problems, but people don’t want me at meetings due to some of the things in that list……….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do believe ADDers have a tendency to not be able to finish making a point before jumping to a new subject, presumably because our minds are racing ahead of our mouths. I’ve know some ADDers like that but I don’t usually have that problem and yet, like you, I often seem to have trouble communicating my point. I finally had a doctor tell me that I provide too much detail; that I over-explain things and that actually makes it harder for people to understand my points. People can only take in so much information at a time so over-explaining, which I do in an attempt to make my point clear, ironically has the opposite affect. Now if I can just figure out which came first: did I start over-explaining because people didn’t understand me or did people not have trouble understanding me until I started over-explaining.

All that being said, I noticed that this problem isn’t exclusive to people with ADD. I think some people assume no one ever speaks in a straight forward manner and they try to “read between the lines” to understand what you “really” mean. Others just don’t listen because they’ve already made up their mind or are thinking of what they are going to say instead of listening to what you are saying.

I also truly believe that because ADDers tend to be under achievers their social circles aren’t always as intelligent as them. So what seems perfectly clear to us is over their heads. I’m a high-school drop-out and have never been able to sit through boring college courses so have failed to get a degree. But I have a high IQ and have educated myself on many things to levels at least as high as Ph.Ds. But since I don’t have the degree or the job that comes with it my social circle tends to be more of the working class or cubicle class. I have to be careful to reign in my interests (like philosophy and physics) because I learned early on they won’t understand nor will they be interested.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

According to my husband (God bless him for putting up with me!) most people’s conversations are like wading along the shore line. They rarely get more than knee deep in whatever it is they are talking about. I, on the other hand, tend to grab people by the hand and dive right to the bottom of the ocean. Like WW above I load my conversations down with details and ideas then expect the person to whom I’m speaking not only to grasp my meaning but to respond in kind. Anything less and I lose interest. They are boring or just not trying.

I’ve been working hard on easing up on my intensity as well as lowering my expectations but it is hard to do. I know one or two people who can handle those “deep sea” conversations but realizing that widening my social circle (beyond one or two people) means settling for something less is hard to accept. How do I reconcile this?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi E-Ticket,

I’m right there with you. Small talk, talk about non-substantive subjects, or talk about substantive subjects I care about but with someone who is clueless used to feel like death to me. I couldn’t stand it. I found that participating in discussion boards like this one helped a lot because everyone knows what they are here to talk about and many of them are quite knowledgeable. If you search the net you’ll find discussion boards on virtually everything.

It got a little easier when I had a child. I’m not really into bragging about my child like so many parents are, but at least it gives me something I have in common with other parents.

The best help came when I started taking Focalin. I’ve never found medication to help with my worst symptoms, but Focalin did help to be able to talk to others. Sometimes it helps too much and I don’t stop talking. I think some of our friends wish I would go back to the quiet guy they met ;-)

REPORT ABUSE

gforcewarp9
    Participant

I never had many friends in school–in fact I suffered from bullying from practically kindigarten to when I finally dropped out of highschool– but later, my larger than life and rather charming persona (if I don’t say so my self!) seemed to be appreciated in the punk/ sort of alternative culture scene, where so many of us a.d.d.er’s wind up. I can say that I’m lucky to have had so, so many good friends over the years, who have genuinely liked me despite/and or because of all my wierdness. You know, sometimes we put people off, but a.d.d.er’s can be offly charming, open, likeable and interesting. And really, in the kind of punk, alternativ-y world I’m talking about, I have known some way, way, WAY crazier characters than me. I guess, the point is, go where your appreciated. The suburban P.T.A might not be the place for me, or you. But Burning Man might just be! So there! I just wanted to point out that there can be alot of positives to having a.d.d in the social realm. At the same time, I certainly don’t want to invalidate anyone’s personal experiences making freinds, because I know it’s painful when it’s difficult–because, what’s interesting (and disheartening) now that I’m older and a mother and in a new area, I am definitely having a harder time than I used to. I have to try alot harder to watch all, and I mean all of the above faux pas. Not to mention, I just got a big personality and I just wanna be me! But really, I have learned that sometimes I gotta really dial’er down a notch. I want my son to have friends, after all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are right on the money gforcewarp9. Thank you for bringing us back to earth and back to not taking ourselves so seriously. I, like you, started out as the quiet easily bullied type, although I got lucky by growing to my full height by sixth grade. That made me too big and intimidating at the time but since I was done growing they all caught up to me by High School. Luckily for me, by high school I had gotten over my shyness and MY larger than life, rather charming persona ;-) came out. That and I started singing in a band.

Still, in later years, when I started getting more interested in intellectual topics and philosophy I started finding myself hardly able to stand plain old regular conversation. Since my ADD prevented me from completing college I didn’t really have a way in to the crowds who wanted to talk about the crazy stuff like me. My friends drop away one by one until one day I realized I had none. To cut to the end, it all worked out and I lived happily ever after.

Thanks again for reigning us in from the downer talk. When I created this topic it was intended to be taken in a light-hearted way as I’m sure you can see if you’ve read the original post. That being said, it’s a painful subject for some and I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from posting about painful experiences. We’re all here to help each other. But balance is nice isn’t it?

< insert Rainbow here>

WW

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)