Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What you may be doing that keeps you from making friends

What you may be doing that keeps you from making friends2010-06-08T17:11:50+00:00

The Forums Forums What is it? Other What you may be doing that keeps you from making friends

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, anyone here in Ottawa? Wanna refresh the Ottawa ADHD Meetup group?

REPORT ABUSE

Ivriniel
    Participant

“Or it could just be summed up as “typical internet forum”.

Nah, if it were a typical internet forum, we’d be talking about food by now. :D

Anybody know where to get some good perogi?

*runs away and hides*

REPORT ABUSE

Saffron

I’m in the Ottawa region, eimat.

Anyone else?

REPORT ABUSE

ADDled

My heritage is Ukrainian also. I’m gonna agree with Ivriniel on the Cossack theory because it’s sounds as plausible.

Much like the “Jewish Anxiety Syndrome”. That theory suggests that only those people who felt something terrible was going to happen left town, those that didn’t suffered the consequences. A genetic DNA thing that just happened to develop during several generations? Calling David Suzuki!

Cossacks + Jewish people = Pograms? One ethnic culture with a higher than normal rate of a specific neurological disorder eventually affecting another ethic culture that resulted in possibly another neurological disorder? Highly simplified, I know.

These two cultures probably had these issues bubbling away under the surface for a long, long time. The Jewish people having been persecuted and kicked around in Europe for hundreds of years. The Ukrainian Cossacks not really having a homeland and always caught between the Mongols or Muslim armies invading from the east and various European expansionist empires invading from the west. (The Russians, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Poland, Germany, and I believe even the Swedes, and, oh yeah, Vikings!, to name a few. Again, a highly simplified view.

The historical evidence seems to suggest something. There could be a paper in here for someone’s thesis.

After being diagnosed with ADD, my wife has commented that she see these ADD traits in many members of my family. And when she hears the stories, the antics and the escapades during family get-togethers, just confirms our belief about higher incidence of ADD among Ukrainians. Not all, but more than a few: mostly undiagnosed, and in some cases, self medicated.

I like to tell her that ADD was God’s way of preventing Ukrainians from taking over the world…..

Have a great Canada Day…and be thankful we live in the greatest country in the world!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

We may not have been able to take over the world, but we HAVE managed to get perogies into the frozen-foods section of most major supermarkets in Canada!

Curiously, I seem to have inherited my ADHD from my mom, who is of Polish-Yugoslavian descent. Dad’s side of the family (Ukrainian-Belorussian) doesn’t appear to have any trace of it. There goes that theory.

Since we’re amongst Ukrainians here, I’ll indulge in a little shameless self-promotion. On October 30th, Luba Goy will be performing in a show in Burlington, and guess who will be performing with her…

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

You may want to consider starting a new topic about the Ukrainian Connection subject. I don’t say this because I have an issue with discussing it here, only because it seems like there is a lot of interest in the topic and if you give it its own Topic others who are interested but not interested in this thread topic will see it and be able to get involved in the conversation.

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

WW,

I’ll second your opinion about moving the Ukranian thing to another thread with an additional suggestion. (I have no problems with Ukrainians either.) I STRONGLY suggest to the operators of this website that they set up another area in the forums called a LOUNGE. A place where people can discuss more random, off topic stuff. I’ve seen this on many other web forums across the internet.

Peace all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am new to the boards and to this whole ADD thing really but am also from Ottawa.

I loved the category of people and unfortunately fall into too many of them :( I think it mostly stems from wanting to make sure I get my point in before I forget or before the subject changes but who cares really??? Why that need?? So much of the things that I questioned myself on, and that had me thinking I wasn’t like other people seems to be linked to ADD. Maybe I can get some confidence and self esteem now! At 32 it’s about time I think.

Thanks for sharing! I love all the information I am getting here and quite often can relate to just about everything others say. The only weird thing is that i’m an avid reader (would read for hours on end if I could, it’s my escape). That’s the one part that doesn’t fit the diagnosis.

Sorry, I started a new tangent as well! Darn brain going in too many directions!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Circetay. Welcome and thanks for your kind remarks about the topic.

Regarding the social quirks of us ADDers, just being aware of them in itself will help tremendously. Now that you have read this and recognized some of the quirks in yourself you’ll be more cognizant of them in future conversations. And, by the way, sometimes it is appropriate to insist on getting your point across. It’s all about context.

By the way (again), I’m an avid reader as well. People with ADD crave stimulation. Some seek it through work, others through high adrenaline sports, but others (like you and me) crave MENTAL stimulation and we get it from reading. I always have something to read with me. Even when going grocery shopping or out to dinner or other social events. If I’m left alone, even for a minute, I’ll pull out my book and read. I have to or I get irritable. Even one or two minutes with nothing to do (wife runs to the bathroom, waiting in the car to pick up my daughter at school, etc.) drives me crazy. One or two minutes seems like forever when all you have to do is stare at the walls.

Good luck

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

WW thank you for taking the time reply. You are the first person to get back to me here :) I appreciate it. I’m happy to hear that i’m not the only reader. Whenever I would tell someone that I might have ADD they would say “but you read” and “but your house is in order”. I guess there is still lots to learn about ADD in adults. I don’t seem to suffer much of the hyperactivity part and for some reason thought ADD was all physical. When I started reading up on it, I realized that it’s much more mental than I previously thought.

Thank you for letting me know that I will be able to continue to read in the future. I was afraid I would lose that skill or that I would no longer be able to focus on it. I too have a book with me everywhere I go and am lost if i’m not currently reading something. I’ve been this way since I was 9ish.

Thanks again WW

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Ah, reading everything in sight…

The two most notable changes I saw when I started on Concerta were: (1) Clutter suddenly bothered me so much that I had to get rid of it; and (2) I was no longer a devout bathroom reader, so I removed all the magazines and Bathroom Readers (of which, I have a dozen volumes) from my bathroom.

Has anyone here discovered “Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader”? I swear, those books were created by people with ADHD for people with ADHD. I know for sure that at least ONE person with ADHD worked on them. I contributed some material to “The Ahhh-Inspiring Bathroom Reader”, and my name is listed in the front of the book. (No, I am not Porter the Wonder Dog.)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve seen the Bathroom Reader and I agree. The bathroom is where I get some of my best reading done. I’ll often get so into what I’m reading that I lose track of how much time I’ve been in the bathroom and will stay until my bum goes numb :-). That usually gets my attention enough to break my hyper-focus and allow me to escape.

BTW – The best (or worst depending on your point of view) bathroom book is an iPod Touch or an iPhone with book reader software like Kindle Reader or Stanza or InstaPaper because you can bring a literal library of books and articles with you in your pocket where ever you go.

WW

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too am a bathroom reader! But usually it’s whatever novel i’m reading at the time. I have Crohn’s disease and unfortunately spend way more time than the average person in the bathroom! Sometimes my husband even comes knocking on the door to see if’ i’m ok!

WW, what’s hyper-focus. I mean logically I see what it means but just wondering what it means to the ADDer?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When hyperfocusing… one cant see, hear, smell (or maybe that one sure can) and so on… when you read something and someone says in a while forward… “Hey did you here me when i said we’ll be leaving shortrkly… and you haven’t even changed your clothes..” you get it now?

well it is like playing game something like cargame.. (like consoles) then you must have to win all to get the best position.. i myself has seen to go for hours the same track after i will win it… then i can play other tracks.

then for example when i play cello.. and i get to the real mood.. i surely can go deep in to the music.. and may not here anything else.. see anything else. and so on…

it is like focusing on something so profoundly you loose everything else around you…. you get it done but everything else may yet be waiting for your attention…

Maybe those will clarify some what….

Hmm.. and about this topic… is i surely has been many of those persons talking… and surely has seen to come to it that i surely seem to be quite weird person and then after it has come to live its own life even i may have seem to say “That isn’t the whole of me… learn to know me more.. please….” and surely some may have turn to say.. “Why should we when we can’t understand half of what you say…” not so straight but get the picture…

Yeah yeah yeah….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depending on what day you catch me on, I’m every single one of those personality types!

Cheers,

CET

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)