Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

99% sure I'm ADHD & now I have to circumnavigate getting diagnosed?? Cruel joke!

99% sure I'm ADHD & now I have to circumnavigate getting diagnosed?? Cruel joke!2011-09-21T16:02:23+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey My Story 99% sure I'm ADHD & now I have to circumnavigate getting diagnosed?? Cruel joke!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ugh! I just remembered that I have my next psych appointment tomorrow (almost exactly 24 hours away), and I am getting nervous about asking to be referred on for a medication trial. My doc certainly made no bones about the fact that he does not particularly approve of stimulants, which is part of why I am stressing about it. I am sure he won’t be critical, as he has always offered me choices in my care (including referrals to doctors for trials of antidepressants or stimulants), but I still know his thoughts on the matter, and it plays on my mind. My biggest concern is that he will say I have to chose between seeing him for therapy, or being referred on. I would like to do both – medication for intermittent use (driving, and “scattered” days) in the short term, and therapy for the long term. Why oh why does my brain bring up all these nasty scenarios to stress over, instead of relaxing and focussing on the present moment?!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aaarrgghhhh!!! I also just remembered that I also have to meet with my son’s maths teacher and his home group teacher tomorrow, due to issues in his maths class. I HATE meetings like that!!! I can never get my brain into gear enough to think of what to say. I just sit there like a stunned mullet while everyone walks all over me :? I need to be able to support my son, but do it without getting his teachers off-side, despite the fact that there are problems with how his maths teacher deals with him and I would like to put my foot up her backside :mrgreen: I just want tomorrow to be over and done with!!!!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a lot to deal with in one day, KrazyKat. Let us know how it went, please.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My appointment with the Learn Center at the University of Washington is the day after tomorrow. I got the packet and the questions were the same as the online questions I’ve seen. Of course, I wrote all OVER the page, qualifying my answers. Like they ask, “Are you always on the move?” and my answer is usually, “No.” However, my MIND is always on the move and I don’t like to go to events where I have to sit for a long time–even movies and plays make me stir-crazy. So how does one answer just yes or no, when they’re so much more to say about it?!?!!?

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, the meeting with my son’s teachers went well. We seemed to all be on the same page, and I got it through to both teachers that I cannot do anything to help my son if I do not know what he is supposed to be doing. So I got a textbook for home, some worksheets for him to do, and a list of what pages in the textbook they will be covering over the next few weeks. The maths teacher also has my email address now, so that she can follow up on things ASAP if work is being lost, or not completed.

So my son has avoided probation once again, which means his place within the school performing arts program is secure for the time being. A big relief!

I was very happy with how his home group teacher (who is also the performing arts coordinator) dealt with the issues at hand without once referring to ADHD, or diabilities, or special needs. She only referred to behaviours that needed addressing, and to potential solutions. So his ADHD was never allowed to become an excuse for him, or for his teachers. Avoiding labels was the best thing she ever did, in my opinion. My son felt “normal”, with “normal” issues that could be addressed by “normal” means – identifying his own needs, learning to recognise the needs of others, and negotiating with teachers so that his needs can be met without compromising the needs of others, or causing the teachers difficulties.

If you want to read more about my diagnosis saga, then read my blog

http://gottakeeptalking.wordpress.com/

Or check out this thread

http://totallyadd.com/forum/topic.php?id=1949

I sort of ended up posting my news in bits and pieces all over the place, in my usual scattered way, I’m afraid 😳

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I do that, too, Posting here and there, just like you, KrazyKat.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I have had my first appointment at The Learn Center at the University of WA. It was pretty much more of the same kinds of questions as were on all the various lists, both what they sent me to fill out and ones I saw online. I DO hate answering with a number!!! She let me say 3.5, though, if the choices were 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Has anyone else been pretty uptight about receiving their diagnosis. I don’t know what to hope for!! Yes or no?! Or, if not this, then what!?

I guess it’s stupid to even have an opinion; I guess I should just wait and see what the educated opinion is, as mine is subjective, anyway. I just hope, whatever it is, I can get some help with motivation and organization, as those are my biggest challenges. .

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)