Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Do you make up words by accident?

Do you make up words by accident?2011-04-14T13:30:05+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Funny Do you make up words by accident?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

CherylW

i go and say things in the “wrong way” or in a “weird way” myself lots of times. i live in a small town, so lots of people think that i’m “weird” and don’t really talk to me much, but my true friends and all three of my girls sure love it sometimes! they’re 3, 5, and 7 years old, so they just laugh at the way things are said. my 2 older girls have adhd themselves, so i’m making sure to teach them that even though they “spurt out” words the wrong way, it’s ok. heck, i even go and mix up their names sometimes! lol we’re all saying things that raise other people’s eyebrows, but find that the only ones who do take it “lightly” are the ones who make the mistakes themselves too! hey, the only way a person should be able to laugh at others is if they can laugh at themselves first, so giggle away at the “crazy” things you say. that way you can laugh at others! :D lol

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

I sometimes smash two words together when my brain can’t pick the better word on the fly: “Do we need another –

[brain simultaneously grabs CHAIR and SEAT]

– cheat?”

“You know what I meant to say” is definitely one of my more oft-used phrases at home…..

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

“You know what I meant to say” is definitely one of my more oft-used phrases at home…..

Me too, I often say right when I mean left. Thankfully I don’t turn right when I mean to turn left when driving, but I’m getting a little worried about that one 😯

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

Me three! I also say “You know what I meant to say” and the right and left thing. My daughter loves to tease me about right and left. She will say “the other right” or “the other left” when she says one and I do the other. :?

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Geez, and I thought it was “me” :-) Thingy, whatchamacallit, the other right….can’t express the thought in my head…

Good to know there’s more of you out there! Now if we were all in the same room could we read each other’s minds?:-)

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

“Whatchamacallit” thats the one i coundn’t remember! Maybe if we traveled in packs and can read each others minds then maybe one of us could come up with the right words when we need them. That would be cool!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would be fun to see everyone interrupting to finish someone’s sentence for them! It’d be like an improv session, only it would be a normal conversation!

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

I suppose you could say that I’m part of something like that. (4th try at that sentance)

My daughter has several ADD/ADHD friends and I have hung out with them. One girl is very hyperactive and VERY LOUD and is always interrupting. We were meeting at the local college one day and the cafateria was full of nearly 50 summer camp kids. It got so loud in there that we could not hear (I’ll call her CH) CH over the noise of the kids. The next day I described the noise level to another college student/ADHD informal member of our loose ADD club and her eyes got very wide when I told her that you could not hear CH over the noise of the kids. Her response was “WOW, Thats LOUD!” After that CH started to turn the volume down, much to everyone else’s relief. I’m trying to get these kids to join this site. I think it would help them not feel so alone.

I know they could contribute some words they made up. I hear them doing it but I can never remember the words.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

We really need a separate Facebook and twitter to stick together. You’d need to prove you had ADD. Maybe submit a diagnosis or prove you left your wallet at home. Maybe we could get our own Internet! Facebook.add. Amazon.add! Travelocity.add!

That would be awesome.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh I conbine words together almost every time I talk! Sometimes I’ll catch myself halfway through the word.. or even better, I’m in the process of messing it up, and my brain must shoot off a quick “NOPE!” sign, but then it just shuts off so i’ll be like Pass me the pa-plaahhhhhhhhhhh. How smart I feel!

I also make up words just by getting all the sounds confused (b,p,d,m). >_<

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

lol at mind reading! I love improv! I would be good at it if everyone would operate on a few second delay to give me a chance to translate my hilarious ideas into words. when i do finally think of something..it will probably be interrupting someone else..

in my mind I see the mass ADD conversation exploding.. talk talk talk interrupting talk interrupting…no one can finish a point..then.. we all forget what the point was and get ice cream.. then eeeeeeeee ice cream *bounce bounce*

hmmm now the very serious question of how I am going to get ice cream right now because I’m hungry and lazy. or perhaps I should get out of my jammies because I need to be somewhere soon. the pill should be kicking in soon. I think I took it almost an hour ago. Vyvanse takes forever to start working. I am tempted to sit it next to my beside to avoid the hours of weekend lolling about.

sometimes I just point at things. Can’t think of words, so just point and use gestures. ok.. need to to fix the hunger situation.

REPORT ABUSE

billd

hey pete ADD’ers twitter would have to be limited to 5 characters………..

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Just thought of another fun feature of this phenomenon – the little three-second delay as my misspoken word hangs in the air:

“So we’re headed to North Dakota for our beach vacation in a couple of weeks….Should be fun.”

(pause, during which my sentence slowly echoes back to me…)

“Wait, did I say North Dakota? I meant North Carolina.”

Sometimes I’ll keep on talking for another couple of sentences before the little bell goes off!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@quizzical I often stop mid-sentence at a very inopportune time. The other day I said, “The cafeteria is really crowded, I think they let everyone go…” [to lunch at the same time; not they fired the cafeteria staff.]

Good thing I wasn’t a vet. “Yes, Mrs. Johnson, sorry, I had to put your dog down. On the counter. Before I answered the phone. Stop crying you silly woman!” Or a doctor “We lost your husband. ‘s Chart. Got it now!”

Also, I mentioned elsewhere (Games! Goals?) that I acci-mentally invented “muddles.” Now it’s what I call non-ADDers who muddy life with bureaucratic rules. Expectum Bureaucratis!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quizzical, I do that. Sometimes it’s just a word that starts with the same letter. Like North for Nothing or something like that. I usually don’t realize that I’ve made the substitution. I think it happens when I’m tired, but I have to pay attention and see if there’s a pattern to it. My attention is definitely not in gear when it happens, I am like a motormouth, so maybe I should just shut up and slow down (the last time I did that, I’d had double jaw surgery and couldn’t talk, just mumbled. I knew what I was saying but hardly anyone else did).

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)