Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

First day on meds!

First day on meds!2011-02-11T00:48:26+00:00

The Forums Forums Medication First day on meds!

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

Carrie

FINALLY!!

Im on Dextroamphetamine 5mg BID. I took it at 1500 and really I dont feel any different (currently the time is 1700). Things sound quieter but I thought maybe its just quiet today at work. I feel calmer and almost dont know what to do with myself because of this calm. Its a scary calm. Im used to racing around “okay what do I do now, have I done this, is this done blah blah blah” and now I feel like im in a “lul” and it scares me! Is this normal? I know its only the first dose and my body will take time to adjust… But I heard the difference is almost instant!

How was it for you taking meds for the first time? Are any of you taking this one as well?

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

or others may know as Dexedrine!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Its day 2. Took the 5mg Dexedrine about 60 mins ago. I still feel no difference. Maybe I was expecting too much or something totally different?

Last summer from June to September I was taking MDMA, an illicit drug. As a kid I always wanted to try drugs, they came my way and I tried them. MDMA is a stimulant, it would make me high yes, but not in the ways it would others. All my friends would become so hyper and crazy where I would be calm and relaxed. I would get that super good feeling, but then all was quiet and calm. I could understand things, the simple, obvious things I never did before. I could actually organize myself and go from point A to point B perfectly and without feeling overwhelmed by the silly little things that always overwhelmed me. I was not expecting a high at all, just that calm I have described. I couldnt figure out why when taking MDMA I felt so normal. I could think! Things made sense to me! I could do my laundry without any problems where as before it felt so overwhelming and I just didnt know where to start! When I told this to the psychiatrist she said that thats a sign of ADD, im calm on the MDMA while others are like I am without it hahaha I stopped taking it because its illegal and came with so many horrible side effects. It just wasnt worth it.

I guess I just need to wait. The psychiatrist wants to me start at 5mg then up to 10mg, then to Ritalin 10mg, then to longer acting like Concerta. But my question is, why cant I just jump to the stronger like Ritalin or Concerta? I guess I am new to taking medication, but not new to stimulant drugs. Maybe this low dose isnt having an effect because I have abused stimulants in the past? Maybe my body is already used to a higher dose of stimulant? Maybe there is a difference and I just dont notice?

I dont know! Anyone else have any thoughts or know?

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Well I like to post my thoughts! It helps a lot! Today went better. No headache, and I noticed I made it downtown without any panic attacks when normally I do panic and dont get errands done, only because there is so much going on at once and so many things I need to remember, I just cant do it, but today I did!! YAY! I was in my own world happy and got everything I needed done! I wasnt rushed, I wasnt a panicked mess and was on time!

I have also been thinking about the 5mg and how I dont feel much of a difference, and I know that they will up the dose, and I guess my expectations oh that great big “AH HA” like for others will maybe come my way too! maybe not. I do feel small differeneces though, like the decreased anxiety, and Im a calmer. Im just so excited to get this treated I wanted it bing, bang boom! Im too impatient! hahaha goodness me eh. I was just a little upset in that previous post! But Ive thought it through and vented (in a nice way haha) to my husband which always helps me sort it out.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Carrie, wouldn’t it be great if they could just titrate the correct dosage right at the beginning? I guess because each one of us reacts to the meds in different ways (the joys of brain drugs!) it takes a bit of trial and error to find the correct med and the ultimate dosage to use.

I think I’m on the right dose for ‘me’ now but they haven’t ‘cured’ me, if you know what I mean. I still have all kinds of issues that I deal with but I still wouldn’t trade who I am for anything.

BTW, I use Concerta and it seems to be the right choice for me. I did have some initial side effects but I hung in there for a couple of weeks and sure enough, the side effects all disappeared. :o)

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I cant wait for this trial and error period to be over! Baby steps! Its just so hard to wait, first all the interviews, and all the questionnaires, and then YAY for you, you have it! And then more tests, and then you finally get your prescription, and goodness, have to wait more! hahaha Ah well! Its happening! :)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I get to go through the experimentation starting next thursday. Just got diagnosed 2 days ago…at age 51. I had approached a former doctor about my suspicions re ADD some 15 years ago and he gave me shit saying I didn’t need to go down that route. I have my hopes up that the meds are going to help me start getting some relief from this frantic overloaded brain. I’ll keep you posted.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know it is hard to get these things settled. I have had that problem with other medications. For ADD I was really lucky. When I first started taking it I noticed it was like I could “See better.” I dont know how else to describe it. Everything seemed much clearer and sharper. Now I notice more of a difference when it wears off. I get frustrated, more mistakes, more cranky. I am taking methylpheni something, something :D It is Ritallin, Good Luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I just got home from the Doctors and now have Ritalin 10-20mg twice a day to start since the Dexedrine was making no difference at all. She told me to start slow, 10mg for the first day or 2 and then up it and see her in about 2 weeks to see how it is working out! I hope it does! I took 10mg about 2 1/2 hours ago, still really dont seem any different. We will see!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, I said I’d keep you posted. it was my first day on meds, 10mg methylphenidate (ritalin) and I noticed a difference. I was definitely less scattered and my energy was up. I still messed up a bit with forgetfulness, burned a few papadons, but overall, a nice improvement already. I’m hopeful. My Blood pressure was slightly elevated, so I’ll have to keep an eye on that. How’s it going for you now, Carrie?

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Thanks so much for the reply! I LOVE your name “bluesman”. Do you play the blues? Like blues guitar or anything? I play the bass and LOVE to play the blues, its always so fun!

Well today is day…. 5 on Ritalin. Day 1 I took 10mg, and felt no change. Day 2 I took 20mg and felt very very weird, so thats all I took that day when I am suppose to take it twice a day. But I did find I could stop what I was doing on the PC and actually follow everything my 4 year old daughter was saying and understood what she really meant and didnt get lost in how she was saying it!

Day 3 I worked a 12 hour day shift (I do shift work) and took 20mg in the AM and 20mg in the afternoon. I had to flush a catheter (Im a nurse) and I hadnt done that in a long time so I was reading up on it, and still could not comprehend the simple directions in the book. Not until I was instructed by a fellow nurse on how to do it, did it make sense. Now I don’t know if the meds are suppose to help with the comprehension part or not… It could of been many factors…. But at the time of reading my mind was going a million miles an hour… but a lot of factors played in. My boss was right there, and reading stresses me out automatically because I have a hard time… I can read just fine, but have no clue what it is im reading! At the end of the day I managed to lose my cell phone which I NEVER do… I always lose my keys, drivers license, and bank card but NEVER my cell! Turns out I forgot I had it on my lap in the cafeteria and it fell into the chair! Anyways…. I also think I may not notice it at work because there is a set routine there and when there’s a routine I can follow it perfect. I just CANT establish a routine on my own! So no need to really concentrate when everything is laid out for me!

Day 4 was a 6hour day shift and took 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the afternoon. Once again not much of a difference but when I got home felt a little funny… I dont know how to describe it… Like my brain is doing the wave hahaha If that makes sense. I figure its because of the 20mg… My doctor told me to start with 10mg then go to 20mg if I still have no difference… and with my Dexedrine upset (since it did nothing or me.. huge let down) I just went to 20mg. Stupid… I know!

Today, day 5… I decided to only take 10mg. My husband has just started his first day at work (been laid off for a year). Now it is my responsibility to drop and pick up my son from school… This is a HUGE thing for me… Panic attack city!! Too many things going on there at once… This morning though I didnt panic… Which is a first! I was calm! Still rushed and unorganized, but calm! I find even now while typing this out I still trail off (just deleted about 5 paragraphs that I now condensed into the above sentence hahaha) and I was able to stop and listen to my daughter again… But unable to read or think while she was eating beside me making noise…

Honestly I am still very frustrated… Even thinking “maybe I dont have ADD”. My doctor said if Ritalin doesnt work, then they will have to reassess my diagnosis. All the “differences” I see can be justified, I think anyways! Maybe Im just having a good day today and thats why I was calm dropping him off. I STILL cant focus when there is background noise like my daughter! I had to make her go to a different room! I see everyone having these big WOW reactions, and I havent had mine, and if I did, it was not life changing like I expected… yes its only day 5… but everyone is seeing changes in the same day! Why not me? Maybe im confused on what the meds are suppose to help with… The things I need help with are behavioral and I guess meds dont change or make habits and thats where my expectations have failed me.

I cant set myself a routine or comprehend how to do so! Never know where to start… and it all is very overwhelming. Laundry is a GREAT example! There just so much of it, and it never ends and I dont know where to begin, how to start! Im very unorganized! Was hoping the meds would help, but thinking about it now, like I just said, they wont show me where to start or how to organize myself… I thought they would help me with this because the use of illicit stimulants made everything so calm and clear I KNEW what to do! I COULD do it. Everything just suddenly “clicked”. I could see where to start, and did, and knew how to keep the ball rolling, and could… The treatment is still young… But im really losing hope in all of it.

I would love to keep updating you! Its nice to have someone to relate to and update with!

Cheers!

Carrie

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Carrie,

Sorry to hear it’s not really working for you, ….yet. I hope you get it figured out. I was quite sick today; upset tummy, even vomitting …yuck, sorry…, but my work day was quite efficient. My sickness is likely related to a bug…I don’t think its the meds. I’ll figure it out.

I dropped from 10mg, which I took my first day (yesterday) down to 5mg, twice today. I found myself quite buzzed yesterday but was much calmer today. I’m trying to get over bronchitis and a cold (maybe flu) and will hopefully get a good trial of the med again tomorrow…no wor but still have tons to do…I”m behind in taxes, have a dozen half finished projects, and lots of cleaning and organizing to do.

Yes, I love blues too. I’m a beginner on the guitar but like to howl on the harp …aka harmonica. .

Talk to you tomorrow.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Aww too bad your sick! Theres a bug going around here too! Both my kids have it! Fun!

I managed quite well after writing that post… I got my dishes done, folded all my kids laundry, started and kept the fire going and had lunch hot and ready for my husband when he got home from work! Thats the most of done in almost a year sadly! Now was this the meds or am I simply having a good day? I did do the laundry which is something I NEVER do, and did not find myself so distracted. I even got my daughter whos 4 into cleaning. We raced! She beat me by cleaning her room before I had the dishes done! My husband was very impressed, only time will tell if its the meds or just me! I also read on a different forum that Ritalin could take up to 2 weeks to really kick in… But all the other posts ive read say its instant! Ah well.. We will see!!

The harp is fun! I cant play, but ive jammed with others who play it! Always nice to meet fellow musicians!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Carrie, good morning to you and glad to hear you had a good day. I haven’t go much experience yet but from all I’ve read, and what I’ve seen with my students over the years, basic ritalin tablets, or methylphenidate, goes to work right away. Other types of methylphenidate, time release, etc, can take more time. That isn’t to say there won’t be adjustments made along the way with ritalin, as you get use to or adapt to your dose.

I think you may have been experiencing the meds the other day. I know many, even on this forum, have said they will have successful days like that but not consistantly. The way I look at it, some good productive days are better than none, but I would love it to be consistent.

I was up most of the night, on and off, sick, totally dehydrated….lost 7 lbs in one day (trust me, won’t be permanent). I feel better this morning after laying in bed for 9 1/2 hours, slept about 5 restless hours. I took my 5 mg this morning with a little oatmeal (bland) and now, an hour later, not a single stomach issue. Can’t really be sure if the med is working but I think my brain is settling down a little. I had a gazillion thoughts racing through my mind last night….quite overwhelmed. Hope I have a better day and hope you continue to have a good experience.

Nice sharing with someone. thanks

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Morning! Well now its afternoon! Thats one bad bug you’ve got there!

I didnt take any meds today. Felt same as always. I JUST took them now… Its now 1:18pm. Took 20mg. Im evening shift again, so will be off to work soon. I was quite tired this morning because I dont get home from work until 11, then was in bed by midnight and then my hsband dragged me out of bed to go to town (hour commute to the city) just to rush around and be back right away. So I crashed and just got up. Feeling good now.

Will post after work, or while there about how the rest is going!

Get better soon!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)