Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

'God' is punishing you

'God' is punishing you2011-05-03T10:14:00+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

thats exactly what my sunday school teacher said to me because i wouldn’t sit my ass down. ” I just knew every damn thing.” evil bitch. I hope she’s now rotting in her own personal hell.

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Hi Laura – just saw your response. It seems to me that your husband is AWESOME too!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Parents can sure be a handfull…

I think it all boils down to the fact that the world is changing and that their beliefs doesn’t always do the same.

It’s painfull though, when someone (whoever they are) doesn’t believe you, or understands you…

But even though they’re stuck in old beliefs, doesn’t mean that we should give up because of it, keep you head up :)

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Elisabeth – well said!

REPORT ABUSE

billd

Looking at it logically – if God punished like some believe, the world population would be about 1/2 what it is, and half of them would be severely handicapped.

My opinion differs on the “God doesn’t need/want anything from us.

I believe God does – need – God needs our love. If we were made even only fractionally in God’s image, and humans have such a need for love, then one could imagine…………..

But does one go around punishing those who don’t love them? Naw – and I doubt God would either – might make the creator sad, but not angry.

Just some random thoughts from a random mind.

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Hmm. God is punishing you with ADHD?

That’s a tough one. If you get it managed and become a champion for change and help others, does that make it a blessing?

I’m not a biblical scholar, but if you are a Christian don’t you believe that God created you in his image. So you are whole, and complete and perfect. And doesn’t it say that God loves you.

I mean, I get the Old Testament is full of punishment. In fact, if you’re a Christian who works on Sunday, the Old Testament says you have to be put to death. (Which must make for a very high staff turnover at Amusement Parks and Museums that are open Sundays. Or maybe they only hire people of different faiths. Or of no faith.)

But wasn’t the point that Jesus brought a New Testament, and rather than stuff like, “An eye for an eye.” which is kind of easy and automatic, he challenged us to, “Turn the other cheek,” and “Love your enemies and do good for them…” (Luke 6:35)?

I’m just glad you didn’t blurt out what a friend of mine did when he told his father he was gay, and the father said, “God is punishing you.” and he replied, “Yes, by giving me a judgmental, unloving, un-Christian and very nasty father.”

REPORT ABUSE

billd

>>In fact, if you’re a Christian who works on Sunday, the Old Testament says you have to be put to death. (Which must make for a very high staff turnover at Amusement Parks and Museums that are open Sundays.<<

Guess that explains all the barrels and sawdust in those places……….

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

Clipped from my post on “ADD and religion”:

Lets define the difference between religion and spirituality. Religion is specific list of beliefs that can’t be questioned. Spirituality is free form where you explore beliefs finding the ones that suit you. Religion is typically modern western systems such as monotheism(christian) and ancient western systems(poly-theism), enlightenment from some outside source. Spirituality is typically eastern systems, Neo-Pagan/New age, and philosophy, enlightenment from within. There is a bit of grey area between them.

These things I found to be true about religion in general:

Thou shall not kill with the exception of another religion competing for followers, (un)holy wars.

Love all with the exception of another religion competing for followers.

It’s mythology, if it’s not my religion.

There is no respect of competing belief systems, arrogance about my beliefs. “We have to convert the heathens. Save their souls.”

Put simply, mine is better than yours, so nya.

Religion practices pure hypocrisy.

Religion is pure pursuit of power, there is nothing noble about it

It’s controlling and manipulating people for the benefit of a few.

To question the authority of person in power, threatens the person in power

(brought these points up in philosophy class)

“Where religion reigns strong, horror soon follows.” Book: “Holy Horrors”

These beliefs have been used for mass murder at various points in history. The indirect and direct genocide of pagans in the dark and middle ages, known to modern pagans as the “Burning Times”. Any religion that doesn’t allow you to the question the authority of person in power is a dangerous cult. (clip)

You can say your god hates or loves this that and the other. In the implied words of your own religion, to say you know the mind of god is very presumptuous. You are who you are and there is nothing wrong with ADHD.

Love all without exception…

REPORT ABUSE

Bill

Filmbuff,

It sounds like you’ve had some bad experiences with religion! My personal experience with religion has been very different. I have found a community of people who reach out to others at both the local and international levels. I have found people who fight for the rights of others, particularly when they have been marginalized. Most of all, I have found people who would agree with you: “Love all without exception.”

In my experience, the difference between what the popular press describes as spirituality and religion is that spirituality is about a personal quest, where religion is about a community.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi 2Raddled,

I also have IC because of adderall

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Great Thread!

Lot’s of experts, heck I don’t even have to study the Bible any more. I’ll just print this page out!!

Thanks gang!!

You guys rok!

:-D

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Can anyone take a joke? I feel a little bit bad when I’m sarcastic on the Internet. I can come across much meaner than I intended it to…

I now forgive me and intend to forget.

I won’t stop studying the Bible. I’m sure I’ll never fully understand the world of spirituality either, Or God.

I must trudge on…

“Cat’s have 9 lives because they are curious.” -Robbo- (I bet some famous person already coined that, but as far as I’m concerned, I!’ invented it…)

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

Hi, I’m Carry, and I’m an atheist. (Atheist Anonymous crowd goes: Hi Carry)

I have a confession: It’s hard for me not to be judgemental about religion and faith.

So, instead of ranting, I’ll refer to a story I recently read:

What’s wrong with gay sex?

(it seems off topic, but it’s not, really)

(it’s not offensive, it’s a dialog between a believer and his God,

in which the Deity point out the various ways people (mis)interpret the scriptures)

Again, not to be judgemental or offending, but to point out that using the word of your God to pass your own judgement on people is a sign of weakness, in my humble opinion.

REPORT ABUSE

Tiddler

Hmm. An unsupportive parent theme on here at times – I wonder why. I struggle with this one. Am I more unloveable than my sibling? In general? Is it just easier to blame me for everything that goes wrong or am I actually causing the problems without realising?

I haven’t had the god is punishing me thing directed at me, but I have been told (frequently) that it’s people like me that are ruining the country. And that I’m ‘one of society’s rejects’.

Fun isn’t it? (Not!)

REPORT ABUSE

Carry
    Participant

The people that decide to reject others are the ones ruining society trying to turn it into a ‘members only-country club’!

-added: and I reject that (not them :P) –

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)