Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

High five corner 2.0

High five corner 2.02013-01-03T07:01:32+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Robbo

I’ve got a double high five to kick off this thread.

I’m doing a good job but I don’t want to hunt down the first high five corner page. So I’ve just made a new one 🙂

Normally I don’t eat processed instant food like these Ramen style noodles, but I just don’t feel like cooking or making something more healthy. My high five thing is being patient enough to wait for it to cool off so I don’t burn my tongue, kinda like when we eat pizza before it cools off and the hot cheese sticks to the roof of our mouth and the skin peels off just because I can’t wait a minute. I get extra double bonus nutrition points for mixing in fresh spinach lentil soup. 🙂

I waited a minute!. It was excruciating but it did, it I waited a minute!.

I AM SUPERHUMAN.

***taking a bow***  ***turning around and presenting my back so folks can give me virtual pats on the back***

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

*pat, pat* nice work, even worse is when you can’t even wait for it to  finish cooking properly.  I hear ya and now I am inspired to actually cook something properly, then wait.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

Way to go Robbo!! If we get a like button I would just have clicked it instead of this post. Here’s hoping>

REPORT ABUSE

Amy

I’m going to start back to painting the cabinets next week!  I swear!   I’ve been working on this project for about 8 months now.  🙂

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

After several years of doing voice work on my own, I’ve finally booked a session to record  professional voice demo, under the guidance of a professional voice coach and a recording engineer.

It’s a bit scary because it’s a project, made up of quite a few tasks, which have to be done in order.  But I know that I have all the skills & experience & talent & *structures* to be able to do it.

The demo-prep session is tomorrow, and I’ve selected a bunch of commercial & narration scripts for it.

The actual demo recording session is a week from tomorrow.

Just me and a microphone and a script and a pencil, in a little padded room…

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

High fives for everyone!

And break a leg to Larynxa!

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Robbo: Good job, man. Here’s my challenge to you: Microwave popcorn.

Larynxa: That is so amazingly cool! Tres awesome.

My latest thingy: Sort of kind of almost finished the first draft of my novel. It’s a disaster and needs a major overhaul and re-writing plan, but I do at least have 60,000 words of total and utter garbage to work from. Sad to say I had this many words a few years ago, but kept fiddling with it, so now it’s a different set of 60,000 words, but still, it’s enough to have an idea of how to proceed. It’s the first time I’ve ever tried to write a book and I have learned a lot about how not to write a book.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Wow! cool!, I’m starstruck!. Seriously WHY DOES MY WRITING LOOK SARCASTIC? lol. Seriously, good job you guys. Consider yourself encouraged okay?

I don’t own a microwave. I don’t believe in them. lol, I just haven’t wanted one. Got a tiny little kitchen.

My high five for today is the big dent I’ve made into my early spring cleaning. It’s torture when muy apartment gets messy cuz I worry about getting evicted. I live in low income housing. I feel guilty about it a lot with this economy. So I declare that I am not guilty of anything so I shall stop feeling that way.

***holding hand up, waiting for that slap sound***

If they give us a ‘like” to click maybe they can also give us a high five too, huh? Let’s harrass Jimi for one okay you guys?. And add some Java thing so we get a slap sound when we click on it! Hey yeah!!. Hmmm, then dudes like me will hang around clicking on the slap toy, huh?

“someone give that dude a ritalin!”

clank.

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

SDWA, good job on writing the 60,000 words AND for having a plan for moving forward on finalizing the novel. I have written many words over the years (some of them actually grouped together into sentences and paragraphs!) and getting the final version in shape is always a great challenge. After getting started, of course.

I’m working on a nonfiction ebook right now (more of a manual, really), but I am coming to the realization that my original vision is all wrong. The work I’ve put in won’t be totally wasted, but it’s a bit of a setback to have come to a point where I have a near-decent draft and have to re-boot.

Nevertheless, I count this as a high-fivable victory in that (a) I started it, (b) I kept working on it, (c) I recognize that it must be rebooted, and, last but not least, (d) I am not discouraged.

We are fabulous. 😉

Up top!

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Robbo:

You crack me up. There is something kind of creepy about microwaves, but they make great popcorn. Sort of like the coffee maker I was given that you put a little plastic container into and hit a button and coffee comes out that actually tastes good without requiring any thinking or measuring. Pay no attention to the toxic chemicals in this packaging.

I am impressed that you are even thinking about cleaning up. I was thinking about that a few days ago, but then I forgot about it. Today I don’t care. And I actually did once get kicked out for being a slob. Or maybe that was the reason I got kicked out the other time, too? I own a mortgage now so if I want to leave used car parts in my driveway, I can do that. The next door neighbor used to  shake his fist at our yard, and once I heard him muttering “lazy ass” while he was out mowing his lawn. He finally moved away. Good riddance.

MarieAngell:

The way I look at a long-term project like this, because I don’t actually write for a living, is that it’s done when I make it what I want to be or when I die, whichever comes first. But maybe that’s not such an inspiring or cheerful thought? My point is, this is not instant oatmeal, it’s a haul, right? So I try not to stress out about it. No need for discouragement. Pause, re-evaluate, breathe, continue. I actually helped produce (I am listed as an author, but I was more of a major-overhaul editor) a 300+ book  on a topic of interest to approximately 200 people worldwide, and I think so far about three of them have actually read it. But I don’t take the book’s apparent failure too personally because it’s non-fiction, and because it was based on classes taught by someone else. I didn’t contribute to the content but only the delivery. It was a good experience. In my opinion, no effort is wasted. When I’m trying to get a handle on something new, I find there is a kind of cumulative effect, painfully slow for a long time, usually followed by a quantum leap in understanding.

Rock on.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Just had my voice demo. prep. session at the studio.  What a thrill!!!

The voice director & I worked well together, and the whole session was recorded and given to me on a CD, so I can practise for the actual recording session, next Friday.

First, I did one full read of each script.  Then, we took the best bits from 4 commercial scripts and 2 narration scripts, and he helped me polish my reads of them, to put together into an industry-standard, 1.5-minute demo.

At the end of the session, just for fun, the voice director let me do a read of a short story I’d written (or, more accurately, it had written itself, all in one perfect draft), back when I was in Grade 10.

I brought it to life with a perfect read, and he laughed at all the right spots.  It’s much too long for a demo, but I now have a great recording of me reading it!

REPORT ABUSE

MarieAngell

High five!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

I did my voice demos, yesterday afternoon, at VoiceWorx.

Mike Kirby (who produced my demos, and was wonderful to work with) was very impressed with my voice talents, and he’s going to put my demos on his website.  He also gave me some leads for voice agents, which is a huge help!

Here’s my “Commercial” demo:  https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Larynxa%20-%20Commercial.mp3?w=4fb6d399  (The 4th segment is from a monologue I wrote, myself.)

Here’s my “Narration” demo:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Larynxa%20-%20Narration.mp3   (When the producer described the sort of music he thought should underscore the 2nd narration, I knew the perfect song…thanks to the “LIPS, or Almighty Cod” episode of “The Goodies”!)

I do want to go back to VoiceWorx and do a proper Cartoon voice demo, but first things first.  I have to find an agent, register on http://www.voices.com, and start getting the jobs I need to get me the credits to join ACTRA.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Oops!

The *correct* links to my demos are:

Commercial:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Larynxa%20-%20Commercial.mp3

Narration:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Larynxa%20-%20Narration.mp3%C2%A0%C2%A0

And a “bonus” clip, of my parents’ completely insane cat (now deceased), snarfing yummy hairball remedy from the tube:   http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Mog_eats.mp3

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Larynxa – Great work! The daycare bit cracked me up! When I downloaded the Narration file, there were 2 hyphens at the end of the file extension “.mp3–“. Once I took them off, the file worked fine. Hopefully you’ll be swamped with jobs soon!

Just heard the cat file, sounds exactly like my cat when he’s eating and his brother or sister gets too close. We call him the Hamburglar when he does that.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)