Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

High five corner 2.0

High five corner 2.02013-01-03T07:01:32+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author

MarieAngell

@Larynxa, excellent demo! I was just about to ask you how it went. Clearly, it went very well. It would seem that you’ll be getting loads of work in short order.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@MarieAngell, first I need to get an agent.

@Gardener, that daycare bit always makes my mother’s blood run cold, because, when she was a primary school teacher, one of the kids in her class did indeed bring in some “red Smarties” which he shared with his friends.  Unfortunately, they were his mother’s Iron pills.  You can imagine the chaos that ensued.

(Note:  “Smarties” in Canada are candy-coated chocolate discs, like the “Smarties”  in England.   “Smarties” in the USA are the rolls of pill-like candies that Canadians know as “Rockets”.)

The entire monologue has several other real-life references in it.  The “idiot” character is named after a particularly unpleasant bully from my childhood (but she’s probably either dead or in prison, now).  The story about the car and the flagpole really happened, when I was 3—except that my dad leaped off the tractor just in time.  And the “401” is the main east-west highway around here.

Hmmm…  That sounds rather tantalizing, doesn’t it?

I think I’ll have to do a read of the complete monologue, so you’ll know what I’m talking about.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

OH MY GOODNESS!! SO GOOD TO SEE EVERYONE AGAIN!!! XD

My high fives…. Well coming back to this site… It was a bit of a shock I must say… I couldnt get over the homepage… I find it quite overwhelming. I was angry with the fact that I couldnt have a profile pic… and well bleh.

Another couple high fives… I sat down and wrote a grocery list.. I got groceries today… I have been putting that off for about 2 months. I didnt panic or get anxious once! Not even while standing in a huge line or when getting caught behind slow people or people blocking the lane. Instead I asked them nicely to move and made conversation. Wooo! I then calmly went to another store and took my time and actually went through a sale bin which normally I wouldnt even attempt because it takes too much time.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

OMG, Larynxa, you are amazing. Are all of those voices you???

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Larynxa, has multiple personalities and they all showed up for her demo.

REPORT ABUSE

Fabulous

They did indeed!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Yes, they did.  But I was only allowed to use a few of them, because a demo has to be short!

Here are some things that I recorded at home—so the sound quality isn’t quite “industry-standard”:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Dog.mp3  (from an real ad, in an old magazine)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/psychic_grandma_sketch.mp3   (I did all of the voices, except for Dad’s.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Nigel.mp3  (written by my aunt)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Telemarketer.mp3  (a little something to completely destroy a telemarketer)

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Um, would you believe…?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6090251/Psychic_Grandma.mp3  (I did all of the voices, except for Dad’s.)

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Welcome back, @Carrie!

Wow!  I can’t imagine not being able to face going to the grocery store for 2 months.  When you made your “comeback”, did you go at a time when it was really crowded, or did you pick a time when it would be calmer?

I’ve found that it’s much less overwhelming to go at a quiet time.  Fortunately, I have a couple of nearby supermarkets that are open 24/7.  The late-night vibe is way different from the daytime one, and there are no line-ups.

How did you handle Christmas shopping?  I deliberately avoided the malls, especially in the evening and on weekends.  Except, for one day, when I *had* to buy some rhinestoned shoes I saw in the window.  The store was a madhouse, but the crowds & the energy left me feeling exhilarated…after so many weeks of long, monotonous, solitary hours working at stage door!

Maybe you survived your “comeback” to stores, because you found the people & the energy to be exhilarating, too.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

Here’s another interesting voice recording I just did.

I’ve had flu, for about 5 days now.  And my voice sounds so disturbing, now that it’s temporarily shifted down an octave or two, that I decided to make the most of it, by doing a new read of a story I wrote when I was in high school:

BLUE FUZZY SLIPPERS FROM HELL   http://db.tt/VSd2zSRY

REPORT ABUSE

phoenixmagicgirl

I passed my Speech 110- Interpersonal Communications class with an A!! I’m really proud of myself!

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@phoenixmagic, that’s wonderful!  Congratulations!!!

REPORT ABUSE

DareToBeHappy

I just finished my third day shadowing for a hostess position at a pub downtown, and I think I got the job!  The managing host said she’d text me a training schedule soon so… I think that means the job’s mine?  I hope it works out 🙂 this feels like an obligation that could really help my confidence with my own abilities, but really, give me an escape from my current situation of feeling isolated while living in a dorm.  So, Yay 🙂  Back pats for everyone.

REPORT ABUSE

Phil, Just Phil.
    Participant

@phoenixmagic great work, congratulations

@daretobehappy please let us know how you go, but it sounds very positive.  Great stuff…

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@DareToBeHappy, it sounds like you did get the job!

And it’s the sort of job that can be wonderful for someone with ADHD, because there’s a structure, but the situation & people are always changing.  Lots going on, so there’s lots of stimulation to keep your brain busy.

I’m a confirmed singleton, so I get my social interaction at work, with my “family” of co-workers, and with all the different people who come to the theatre. It makes a huge difference in my mood and my confidence, to know that I’m doing a job which is the right fit for me, amongst people who appreciate and encourage me.

I hope your new job will give you the social interaction, and the pleasure, that mine has given me!

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)