Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What does it take to become an "Insider" ?

What does it take to become an "Insider" ?2012-10-21T20:38:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? What does it take to become an "Insider" ?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Robbo

Hi gang,

I’m on an older Op. Mac OS10.4.11 so I can’t get involved in the other forum they’re calling “Base camp” If you’ve signed up for email reminders here then you got an invite too. I can’t install any of the browsers I’ll need to participate in that forum. Frustrating, but it’s my own choice not to buy another computer. So I’m not complaining. I did have a laptop with Vista on it. But it’s got a broken screen. Couldn’t get it to work on a monitor today either. I can’t go on the Internet with that one. I don’t want to write the long version of what the hecks wrong with that computer.

I’d like to know what you guys think about calling the new part of totallyadd the “Insidersforum”. or whatever label they’re using. I just have a problem with the word “Insider” because that’s one thing I have never truly been. EVER. I know they’re talking about this issue on the other forum because I got another email about this other “base camp” forum with just the beginning of one persons post there, and I have to log in there, to read the rest. or reply. I’m feeling left out. But I’ve been shopping/looking at computers for a couple months. Can’t freaking decide. Whatever I get, it’ll be obsolete in no time.

This is the new stuff I’m talking about http://totallyaddshop.com/pages/become-an-insider

Is it ridiculous for me to object to using the word Insider? Am I just being too sensitive about feeling excluded?. I do want to get involved at a deeper level, and I’m also willing to pay a fee for the extra services and features. I’m just not willing to risk making other people who don’t want to, or need the extra services and features, at least enough to pay for them, to feel like they’re “outsiders”

I guess I’m just pointing out the fact that plenty of people like myself will have to go out and spend more money on computers. I don’t actually need another new computer. I don’t want one. I know I’ll just have to accept this along with the rest of the changes going on in this world. I’m just bummed. And I feel left out unless I go back into debt.

I’m 200 buxs away from having all my credit cards payed off. That’s a big deal. I haven’t been able to do that for 10 years. Some days I really really HATE ADD

PS now that I’ve written a feedback note first, after some email. And this, I feel like my insides are a twisted smoking pile of debris from a mental train wreck. I absolutely hate feeling like a 5 year old just throwing a tantrum because LIFE JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. and LIFE IS TO FUKING UNFAIR… ….. All this because I feel like I’m being forced to buy a new computer.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sooooo…..what the hell is an “Insiders Forum????

Toofat

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

I bet if ya click on the link I posted most of your questions will be answered. If you’ve signed up for email notices from totallyadd, then you probably have some email inviting you to this new base camp forum. Guess ya have to take a look at the link. Scroll down the page of the link to sign up for email updates.

I copy and pasted this next line from the link above in my post

<<the insider forums, a whole new level of interactivity that allows you to build a profile, engage in side conversations, connect in groups dedicated to specific topics, and take part in advanced conversations, all with other insiders and experts. These discussions are aimed at those of us who know the basics and want to take it to the next level.”>>

That’s what the hell an insiders forum is my friend.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

G’day Robbo! Hmmm, I have no idea what you’re talking about, and can assure you that you’re not the only one not feeling the love πŸ˜† I’m an outsider, and haven’t been invited to join the inner sanctum either. I don’t expect to be invited either. Maybe it’s the cynic deep within, but whenever there’s overtures for a few shekels here, or a few drachma there, I’m very wary! Not to mention ever conscious of my penurious state it’s most unlikely that I’d be able to bribe my way into the league of the elitists even if I had the inclination! I don’t think that I’ll even bother hanging around here for too long quite frankly anyway…I suppose those that create this site have the prerogative to further their agenda, and if gleaning the impartation of their wisdom has a price tag attached to it then I’d prefer to just blunder along the same way that I’ve always just blundered along :D Good luck to them and the beancounters that they dance for…. πŸ˜†

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Robbo – I agree the term ‘insider’ is dreadful. I remember your last post on the subject when you said by default if you’re not an insider then what does that make you?

I can’t believe they will keep the name given your comments. I suspect most folk will agree with you about the name. I do.

Allan – if you stick around long enough you’ll see that this site is one of the best (if not THE best) for folk like us.

You’ll also gather that Rick has invested a lot of his own money and time into this and it costs money to run and maintain the site. The videos for instance and just keeping the site running all cost. As soon as spam hits, we all complain but we’re happy to sit back and expect it to be dealt with for us for free. I fall into that camp.

Relatively recently the site started to host adverts and we were up in arms about it. But we soon learned to use ad-blockers or learned to ignore them.

When the adverts came here I was as vocal as the next person – how dare they – reducing the quality etc. But it dawned on me that everything costs. But I think Rick and the others want the site to be self perpetuating and not running at a loss. So how can they do that? I have no idea. You have a good lateral brain – any ideas?

If there has to be a charge for some things then so be it. As long as the important stuff is free and the forum and videos remain free, who cares what’s hidden away? On the other hand, it might just be affordable and might just be worth it? I guess time will tell.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Ahh crap, I can very much relate to your pessimism. I live there. But take many vacations and I’m always better off when I do. Here’s an old quote I’ve used time and again over the years.

“There is a principle, which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation. –Herbert Spencer.

It’s a good quote to consider when you think about the “cool club” that surfers seem to belong to. I personally was never invited into the water by any other than my own inner demons. The thrill of danger. The agony of defeat. Adventure, and the quest for spiritual identity.

Back onto topic,

Anywayz. I guess you would have to click on a few links to understand what the heck I’m talking about. I would try to explain, but just clicking and reading about what changes are taking place here will probably help ya. Like the one link I posted above. did you check it out?.

There is a place for you in this community. You decide, you get to choose if we’re worth the risk of letting us get to know you in the long term, only time can make that happen. Stick around and be a part of this community. We’re not likely to reject you the same way so much of the rest of the world may seem to have rejected you. I have a strong tendency to test new prospects for friendship in the same way I’ve seen in many of your posts. I push and push peoples patience until I really know they’re probably willing to be the kinds of friends I really need. But It’s a lot of extra work I put potential friends through. The truth is that I’m not all that special, or “great”. So I end up chasing away lot’s of good friendships that may have been thoroughly satisfactory.

Hopefully you’ll take a look at the link I posted. Read it all and consider being a part of this community at some level, maybe the same level as me. You’ve got more to offer than you may realize. I have had a lot of fun here. But at the same time, I’ve also found real people I can relate to.

I’ll bet I’ve got as many chips on my shoulder as you do, but that’s not always a bad thing. It’s just something to have in common. Another reason to think positive about finding some real friends in the world. No matter where on this shrinking Earth we find them.

I’m glad yer sticking around allan.

PS. Oakland Raiders just finally WON! a game.. lol. so it pays after all to be loyal. Maybe they don’t have much of a team left this year. But I’ll be feeling even better next year when they start to really pull it together and start winning some superbowls!.

Take it easy my friend.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks Scattylady,

I LIKE YOU!. hehe. jus wanted to say that in case ya didn’t know. :-)

I like what ya said here too <<You’ll also gather that Rick has invested a lot of his own money and time into this and it costs money to run and maintain the site. The videos for instance and just keeping the site running all cost. “>>

It may not be comfortable for Rick, but we do hold him up as our fearless leader. He’s a humble dude, that’s why I’m only assuming it’s uncomfortable to be held in high regard. But thanks for reminding us about his investment here. The risk. The endless work and putting one’s self out on a limb when it’s mandatory to trust a non ADDer to understand what he’s trying to accomplish. I will go out and get the next computer I need. A small token of gratitude. I’m glad you weighed in on this thread Scattybird. It’s encouragement.

And for you our new friend, Allan. You’re not gonna be able to offend many of us enough to get snuffed out in any way. I’ve never seen anyone banned from this site. You fit in much more than you may want to realize. Go ahead and follow up on what ever diagnosis business you’ve got pending. That will help you feel a bit more of your right to be here and participate. We’re not ignoring you, or tolerating you. We’re here to help you trudge the same road of happy destiny that we are. So go ahead and let that free spirited writing stye of yours shine. Dudes like me really enjoy a lot of what you’ve got to say.

Consider yourself one of us. Not a person just knocking at the door, okay? I’ll try to stick with doing the same. I go back to feeling like I’m on the outside waiting for someone to welcome me in now n then. But all the time, I’ve been part of this community. I’m just forgetfull! lol. How funny huh? It’s not like none of the folks here can relate to being forgetful. Especially when it comes to feeling included, as opposed to excluded. Excluded is where I used to live… As any of the many therapists I’ve had will agree and testify if you dragged them into court… (actually no, don’t do that… that could freak you out) hehe. It’s not about judgement, or any kind of trial by a jury of my peers. I don’t have 12 peers!. it would be a struggle to find 3 or 4 within a hundred miles… yadda yadda

Keep your sense of humor at all cost okayo? potato?

later, aligator.

PS click on this link, surfing probably is “cool”, but doing it has nothing to do with wanting to be cool. It’s about nothing but pure spiritual pleasure. The music in this video really does a good job of making me feel the peaceful easy feeling of playing in the sea. Take a look allan. I bet you’ll like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgv9ek0hMlE&feature=related Remember to hook up the stereo for best sound quality okay?

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Thanks for the kind word folks, I suppose I’m just so accustomed to keeping one eye on the door, or looking for the ‘exit’ signs whenever I land somewhere, whether it be in the real world, or cyberworld, that I’m expecting to be ejected if I haven’t already made a strategic retreat 😳 πŸ˜† ….anyway, I still don’t really know what’s going on with the place for the ‘insiders’, so I’ll just have to imagine! :D So, Rick is the gaffer here, eh? I didn’t realise that either. I had just assumed that he was some Yank bloke with ADHD that had a TV show, that’s all. I read a few of his posts and found them amusing, but didn’t think that this site was his baby. Oh well, I suppose that it makes sense that he’d be looking to sell a video or two to us rabble, eh? How much would it cost to set-up a thing like this site anyway? It’s something that I’ve never thought about (the cost of establishing a site) For a bloke with ADHD it is rather surprising all the same for I’d convinced myself that the curse of ADHD was enough to guarantee abject failure in any endeavour! Well done to Rick for triumphing over the fire-breathing dragons from within, eh? 8) If the maintaining of the site is an unfair impost upon the purse of Rick then it’s fair enough that those who wish to enjoy the privilege of participating ought to shell out a buck or two… 8)

I’d hope that I haven’t offended anybody here. I don’t intentionally seek to offend people, it just somehow happens! πŸ˜₯ I’ve been trying to keep my posts within the loose boundaries of general acceptability, and when I feel that urge to get a bit kooky with my oblique or cryptic jibberish I head for the door until the urge has passed…hmmm, perhaps I ought to trawl my posts, eh? I didn’t think that there was anything too over the top silly, but I’ll have a quick squizz anyway just to make sure….*gulp*… 😯

Rightio, I’ll not be so quick to duck for cover if there’s a bit of a tumult! It’s just my instinctive reaction…’what did I do? What did I say? I didn’t mean to…’ πŸ˜† Whenever something shitty happens, or happened, I’m the first one looking around for the posse of accusers….especially when I had nothing to do with the tumult! πŸ˜† Meh, I’d better get back onto window washing detail before Mrs W catches me on the computer again. Grrrr, that woman is really bugging me these days….. 😈

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Oh crap! I thought I was a master of “oblique or cryptic jibberish”! lol. Rest assured, nowadays I’m pretty good at only saying what It looks like I say. In the past I’ve caught myself being the launcher of passive aggressive angry missiles of destruction. But I put my larger posts into a word processor more often now, and let em sit on my desktop a bit. Then proofread and in the process learn a bit more about how I can do a better job of feeling like I’m helping folks out. When I’m working through my own demons, I keep that for my own journal. I end up posting less here, but growing a lil more.

That’s just what works for me. I can’t tell you what will work for you. Remember that okay? even if it sounds like I’m telling you how to deal with your ADHD. I’m probably just making a little suggestion here n there. To take, or to leave. Your choice of course. So far I haven’t found any rules here. There’s actually isn’t any headmistress. or even a headmister! hehe. (jus made that one up for you)

We may not have anything in common allan buddy, but I sure can relate to a lot of the fears you talk about having. It’s likely that I can at least relate to you “keeping your eye on the door”, and that all too familiar feeling of being guilty when something, anything goes wrong anywhere near me/us. We just screw up sometimes. That’s forgivable my friend. It’s “the ADHD way” kinda like Bruce Lee’s “The Way of The Dragon” lol. He beats people up. We just Fuk up! LOL! lmao…

This is not the dark ages, and there’s no inquisition going on here. People are just paying attention to you, n we care. That’s all. I dare any one person to speak up and tell me I’m wrong. (check back later, just in case… I still got my insecurities ya know :-))

PS, “that woman” is an important person in your life. I don’t know much about being in a successful marriage, but I bet you can find lot’s of good reading here about doing that when you’ve got ADHD to deal with at the same time. A spouse is a very valuable thing this day and age. I’ll bet ya knew that though. You talk about her a lot. Mostly it seems to be your fear of screwing it up that I see. We all go through the same fears. A lot. So stick around, okay? it won’t kill you to feel like people care about you as is, maybe even love you like a brother.

Live with it.

PS I was just reading your post again allan. Thinking about the cost involved in keeping a site like this up and running. Well the truth is, I don’t have the education to make any kind of guess. It’s ironic that I’m a little frustrated with the cost of a new computer. I’ll need that to keep up with the same technology the founders of this site spend about 20 or maybe 30? times as much on. Just because people want to be able to log in from their phones now as well as on the Internet. It’s got to be a financial pressure cooker when I really start to consider all the demand of the shrinking masses of the upper middle class and all their new gadgets that this web site needs to be able to work on. It’s freakin deadly competitive and even thinking a little bit about it make me wonder how he handles it. Rumor has it that Rick has an excellent partner in his life. Her Name is Ava. I’ll bet she’s at least half the power and strength that holds the leadership together around here. It’s actually a team.

That reminds me of a funny one… You’ve all heard people say “there’s no I in team, right?. Well, I say, THERE IS A ME! hehehe ****grin*** what a smart ass, huh? lol.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Robbo – thank you! I like you too – you’re pretty cool! :)

Allan – nobody has rejected you here and nor will they. We all have ADD so have our ups and downs the same as you. So dude…..you’re part of the group now so you’d better get used to that! Don’t try to push us away – we won’t notice – we”ve got ADD. :)

It’s not always easy to know how to reply to a post.

If it’s a ‘mind dump’ it will be read – just maybe not answered. We all do ‘mind dumps’ here – it great to do. But the conversations and ‘friendships’ build up over time when posts become two way. I mean when the mind dumps turn into sharing and reciprocating. Not sure if that makes sense – and don’t take it as an attack on you – it’s not! I have plenty of random posts dotted around this forum that were therapeutic mind dumps. But I like the two-way ones best where I feel I get to know a little bit about the other person and feel they have something to give to me and me hopefully something back to them.

So ….there’s no escape Allan.

I think Robbo has some wise words for you in his posts above.

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Ah, I love it! πŸ˜† I could have sworn that I typed ‘ejected’, but anyway….erm, I dunno what’s going on! Maybe I meant that….not sure myself anymore! πŸ˜† I was alluding to the the new special fandangled inner sanctum that I’d missed an invite to, but there ya go, it’s a hoot, eh? I hadn’t considered that my posts couyld be called ‘mind dumps’. I haven’t heard that term before, but I can see how some of my junk could be perceived as such. I haven’t been a member of too many forums, and the ones that I have been involved with generally just stick to a little corner by myself where I’d download songs and amuse myself with my nonsense. I’m too thick-skinned to be self-conscious about a lack of response to any of my posts, and I’ll often reply to my own as well πŸ˜† I’m more concerned with being a bit too far ‘off the beaten track’ with my jibberish, and alarming anybody silly enough to read my nonsense, which is why I’ll bugger off for a little bit if I think that my posts are becoming just a tad too dark side of the moonish lol….cripes, I’ll have to have a re-read of what I’ve thrown down lest it seems that I was weeping and gnashing my teeth over being ignored. Ye Gods, I’ll go on record for suggesting that my jibberish is best ignored! πŸ˜†

Gah, I’m knackered! I’ve been busy washing windows, and mowing lawns. We’re moving house in a few weeks which is exciting except that it’s only next door. I want to get back to beautiful Melbourne… :(

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

That auto-submit button must be kicking in. I hadn’t finished….

Anyway, sorry for misconstruing everything, I rarely bother with details, and I often get so tangled up in my own tangents that I forget whatever the hell it was I posting about in the first place! Erm, I shall quietly sod off and bid you all a grand evening.

Peace and love to you all…XO

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Morning/Afternoon/Evening all

“Become an insider”< An insider is a member of any group of people of limited number and generally restricted access. The term is used in the context of secret, privileged, hidden or otherwise esoteric information or knowledge!

I would rather

BECOME:

A Member

A Friend

A Pal

A Buddy

A Shoulder to lean on

A ADD’ER

Love to all

Pete x

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

PS :

WOFH :P

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

:D What does ‘WOFH’ stand for? I’m a technophobe, and not very savvy…. πŸ˜†

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)