Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

What does it take to become an "Insider" ?

What does it take to become an "Insider" ?2012-10-21T20:38:32+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? What does it take to become an "Insider" ?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author

shutterbug55
    Participant

I have been ignoring this for a while and now I have to chime in.

@ Ric & Dr J.

This was the one place I could come to, and “talk” with other people with the same affliction I have, get information, share stories, and sometimes even answer a few questions. For once, I felt part of a group. That is important to me.

My world is divided up into “Us” and “Them” or most often “Me” and “Them”. because of my afflictions, I am very different than just about anyone I know and it is very difficult for me to interact with others on a personal level because I have to take such extraordinary care to make sure my ideas are laid out in order so they can be followed. I have been been the “Outsider” of just about every group you can name with the exception of this one. I looked at CHADD and it had an “Us” and “Them” feel to it, then I found this place.

The price of admission to this group has always been anyone who has ADD, or is affected by someone with ADD, or is curious about ADD, is part of the group. Now that looks like it is changing. To me, this is not a good thing.

In Washington, we have whole arms of the government who do nothing but figure out new ways to pick our pockets. Every time I do anything in this state, there is a fee or a tax. The internet has become a mine field of fees. Most of these fees are behind “free” offers or “free” downloads or “free” trials. “Shipping and handling” is a swear word in my home along with “Pay to play”. Pay to play sits behind “free to play” sites and is becoming the new thing. All you have to do is pay just XYZ, and all this new content will be available to you. The list goes on. I could write a book on how people could save money, just by not responding to “free” offers on the internet.

I am going to watch and see what happens here. I am not optimistic, but if you consider my background, that shouldn’t come as any surprise. In a way, I am already mourning the loss of another group I was a part of.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Stick around a lil longer okay Shutterbug? I bet all this fuss I’ve made will be smoothed out fairly quickly. No insiders or outsiders. Just ADDers helping each other, n having a lil misunderstanding now n then.

Oh boy, this got complicated. I had a gut feeling starting this thread might not help as much as it’s actually causing real stress for people who don’t deserve it. I’m hoping to encourage anyone who’s interested in these changes to have some patience, and maybe think a lil slower and more carefully than I did when I first started this thread.

I can’t undo this stuff, but I’m learning a lil more about self restraint. Bare with me ukay?.

Here’s the thing, I confused some email I have gotten with what’s actually not even written in stone yet about future plans and what sounds like really good additions and added features. Stuff we will be really glad to pay for as a matter of fact.

I feel like I’ve judged a book by it’s cover before it was even published!, lol. I gotta laugh a little cuz how I really feel is bummed, I truly appreciate all the hard work people are doing behind the scenes to keep us happy. As a community we truly are some of the nicest, coolest people around. We’ve also asked for a very long long list of added features, It’s pretty cool feeling like it’s okay to ask too, huh?. Rick and lot’s of other folks are working hard to deliver as much of it as they can. We talk about some of that stuff through email, kindof an informal beta planning discussion thing.

The email communications that have been going on are just that, planning only, nothing has been written in stone yet. It’s a struggle for me to keep the planning that’s going on through email separate from the ADHD stuff we talk about here on the forums. I think that’s the main mistake I’ve made starting this thread. Using the word “Insiders” was an idea, not a terrible one, but the totallyadd team has other, better ideas up their sleeve as well. Oh look, a flying squirell!… Gotta go grab my camera… Dang, the phantom hid it last time I was asleep. Oh well. Where was I?…

Oh yeah,

Long story short, I get real defensive if I think about all the times I’ve felt like an outsider in the past. Kindof a knee jerk reaction. This web site is like a home away from home sometimes. We’re not actually gonna have to worry about making anyone feel like an outsider, that’s what I heard on the news today. (not really, but just go with me on this…) We’re all insiders here, we’re also gonna be getting some new premium services, and an opportunity to contribute financially, lot’s of us want to, we’re happy to show our gratitude in the form of a credit card #. I feel a little bit spoiled when I ask for things and get them for nothing. When I was thinking about this last night instead of sleeping, I realized I’ve gotten the equivalent of several thousand dollars worth of therapy, group counseling, advice from some of the top ADHD experts, and entertainment ta boot!.

Also, the site as it is now will keep on being available free of charge. Unless world war 3 happens, in that case, maybe just bend over n kiss yer….. umm. No, never mind. Bad idea. We can count on this camp being around for those of us who don’t need extra services or want to pay to come here, no worries.

So are you with me you guys? gonna stick around? Right on!, out standing!… :-)

Stuff’s just gonna keep getting better you guys. Can ya dig?

Farrr out!.

Peace.

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

so, sum of us then what we will not be welcome ?

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Hi trashman,

I’m sorry to have made such a mess of what’s actually very simple. This site will stay open and all will be welcomed free of any charges.

There will also be an option to join a paid for additional forum. None of the planning for that is complete yet. I just know that this forum as we know it will remain available for us, we can still keep talking/sharing like we always have. I’m really sorry I wasn’t more clear about this.

Ricks post did a better job of explaining all the details, and Scattybird too. I wish I could just erase this thread, or at least some of the stuff I wrote, sometimes we screw up, other times we REALLY screw up… this is one of those OTHER times.

I jumped to a whole lot of conclusions, and didn’t understand everything I’ve been getting in my email inbox. I’ve got lot’s of other stuff going on at the same time. Other ADHD forums that I confused with this one, etc. etc.

Clear communication is sometimes way beyond my grasp. I’ll do better next time.

Maybe just forget this whole thread, it’s a mistake okay?.

Take it easy friend.

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hi shutterbug and trashman – my understanding is the site will stay as it is for all of us and we are all equally welcome. No difference.

I also understand that some money needs to be generated to keep the site open for us. Rick doesn’t want us to pay for what we have, but it costs money to run it.

Rick’s idea is to have another section of the site with webinars and some extra stuff in it that we would pay a subscription to if we want to use it. It’s not a way of excluding us from what we do now, it’s a way of making money to keep things going so that we can continue to enjoy what we currently have for free. I don’t think that’s unreasonable – in fact I think it’s good.

The name for this new bit of the site which is coming soon was ‘insiders’. It’s a name that sadly has caused some anxiety and as a result the aim of it has been clouded by the emotions the name has stirred.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but Rick has listened to our comments and the name ‘insiders’ has gone and it’s now called ‘premium’. Maybe not a great name but how cool of Rick to change it.

I’d be willing to bet it’s changed at some cost to him if he’s been advertising ‘insiders’ on PBS. Maybe we should cut him some slack now and just calmly wait and see what it’s all about. It takes a big man to listen to us like that. Thank you Rick.

REPORT ABUSE

Robbo

Thanks Scattybird, Very well said. Mostly I feel bad because I’ve hurt Ricks feelings, and other people too. Feeling embarrassed about this clouded my ability to figure out how to say what you just said. I’m glad we’re on the same team. I’ve been trying to work out what the heck’s going on with me, and what’s the lesson I can learn here.

So far here’s what I’ve got. Maybe it’s a common characteristic with ADDers too. When I feel like people are being especially kind, or generous to me. I subconsciously reject it, or just mess it up because some part of me still doesn’t think I deserve it, it’s also been hard to accept some of the compliments I’ve gotten recently in my email, on the phone, and I’ve even got some new opportunities away from the Internet too.

People are telling me I’m more valuable than I feel. I just kinda squirm at first because I’m not used to so much positive feedbacl, I still struggle with simply accepting a compliment, I’ve been getting some big ones, yikes!. The added responsibility I’m not sure I’m up to also stirs up my insecurity. So, I go into self destruction mode, and make a mess before I realize what I’m doing. It’s especially hard to handle when I hurt the people who are a source of encouragement. It’s a long way back to feeling good about myself consistently, dealing with a complex problem like ADHD is a lifelong project, that’s a lesson I keep re-learning a lot.

I’m learning, I’m growing. Life can’t always be more fun than a barrel full of monkeys right?. That’s a fun visual though. Imagine waking up to about 7 monkeys jumping on your bed, I’d be the one who fell off and broke his head :-) ***smirk smirk*** now maybe you guys will get that old nursery rhyme stuck in your head.

Momma called the doctor and the doctor said- NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED! (you guys know the rest right?)

PS, the new avatar is my self portrait. A doodle people find on notes n hand written letters from me. (not usually with that same text)

REPORT ABUSE

Scattybird
    Participant

Hey Robbo – you and me have a lot in common! Maybe it’s an ADHD thing.

Obviously there are some differences too – like you being male and younger!

But I know what you mean about not being able to take compliments etc. I find them difficult to accept too and wonder what the person paying the compliment actually sees, because it sure isn’t me! I have learned now to just say thanks.

I don’t think you’ve hurt Rick’s feelings. You just pointed out how the term might be viewed and others feel the same. Better that Rick finds that out now than after it’s launched. I know what you mean though – Rick works hard for us and his intentions are always good ones. There are few people in the world that do good deeds without a hidden agenda. So we need to cherish him.

On saying that, he’s big enough to take this well so don’t beat yourself up Robbo! :)

Incidentally – nice self portrait. One bit of advice though – if your poo smells that bad, maybe you have a gut infection? Try some probiotics!

:P

Oh and I found this quote –

Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is. – H. Jackson Browne

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

I guess I can’t get in the club :( the link doesn’t link…

Where did it go?!?

Um, we seem to have misplaced that page. Sorry about that. Click the back button on your web browser to go back from where you came or click this link to go to the Totally ADD Shop homepage.

REPORT ABUSE

kc5jck
    Participant

Don’t go out on a limb. That’s where the nuts are. – KC5JCK

REPORT ABUSE

Jimi

Here is the link! It was changed since we changed the name from Insider to Premium: http://totallyaddshop.com/pages/go-premium

REPORT ABUSE

allan wallace

Okie dokie, I clicked the link! How much is signing up for it going to cost a month? There was no price, just a thing about less than the cost of a cup of coffee a day. How much is that? I’m a proud tea drinker, and can’t even abide the smell of coffee…

REPORT ABUSE

Rick Green – Founder of TotallyADD
    Participant

Hi All,

I just typed a huge long message about this… and lost it when my modem went funky.

Okay, so here, in about 1/100th the number of words is what’s up.

So we’re developing a huge number of features for a new premium service for people who want much more.

What’s here on the site now won’t change.

Working with our friends, Andy and David, who develop websites for a living, we asked a few members who have been around TotallyADD a long time and who are frequent contributors if they’d like to help us out by testing out the new website, giving us feedback, kicking the tires, and offering comments such as, “My, doesn’t Rick look great! He just seems to get younger and younger!”

Then I would explain, “That’s a video I made in 1993 for The Red Green Show”.

Anyway, one of the test drivers, Andy and David call them Beta-testers, Robbo, mistakenly posted thoughts on the actual site. As in here. Rather than in the test site. Thus the confusion over Basecamp and Insiders and whether he has to upgrade his computer.

It’s a bit like someone designed cars at Ford suddenly breaking into a discussion of body styling during a speech at their sons wedding, and everyone at the wedding going … “Huhn?”

Anyway, Robbo is afraid he has hurt my feelings. He hasn’t. (I’m tough!) (Okay, I’m insensitive.)

So yes, the name Insider leaves people feeling excluded. My theory was since it’s going to be easy and cheap to join we can all become insiders and feel even more ownership. But I get that isn’t how it’s landing for some.

So, thoughts for a name? (We’re also discussing it with the Beta Testers.) (And folks, let’s not get sidetracked into a discussion about how insensitive I am.) (Cause it’ll be wasted. I’m so insensitive.)

REPORT ABUSE

JimC.
    Participant

I like “Cheap and Easy”. works for me. OTOH the name might be gone.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I liked Allan’s “ADD-on”. Or we could just tell it like it is, and call it, “even more oportunity for distraction” ;)

I’ve seen this post for some time, and ignored it because I had no interest in finding out what an “insider” was. I spent so much of my life being an outsider, that its a completely foreign concept to me. Though I get Rick’s idea now. Who wouldn’t want the oportunity to be an insider for once.

Though I feel I already am here. I mean you guys don’t roll my eyes at me when I share my ideas, or say “Oh Oh” when I post a new conversation (like everyone else I know does). I guess what I’m trying to say is “Rick, you done good here”.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops… That should say your eyes, you don’t roll your eyes at me (are you rolling them now), lol.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)