Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD and religion

ADD and religion2010-12-19T18:12:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? ADD and religion

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 129 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

js-cart –

I was born and raised in the Montreal area (St.Lambert), and i know exactly what you’re talking about. I lived through that whole period, from Jean Lesage and La Révolution Tranquille, through Pierre Trudeau, René Levesque and Le Parti Québecois, all the way up to 1984 when I moved to the USA. The Catholic Church was all-powerful up until the early to mid 60s, then as people started to get more enlightened, it lost much of its power and influence. Yes, influence! The Catholic Church was politically very well-connected in the Quebec Government, especially during the time of Maurice Duplessis, constantly “advising” him on government policy. No separation of Church and State in Quebec back then! The “Holy Trinity” back then was Le Frère André, Maurice Duplessis, and Maurice “Rocket” Richard!

I remember the big battle my father and I had when I turned 18, back in 1972, when I told him that I was done with going to church on Sunday. Youthful rebellion on my part, and I’m sure i didn’t think it out, but my Dad, I thought he was going to have a heart attack! He was convinced I was going straight to hell for not attending Mass! I’ll always remember him saying, “Can’t you even devote one short hour to God?”. Now at the time I knew nothing about ADD, but I knew I couldn’t even devote five minutes to God without getting all fidgety and squirmy! So to make a long story short, that was the beginning of my love-hate relationship with the Catholic Church, which has continued to this day. I don’t know when or how it will resolve itself, but I do know this – it will be on my terms, and no one else’s.

Know what was the best thing about living in Montreal back then? Cheering for Les Canadiens as they would win one Stanley Cup after another, and watching my favorite player, Guy Lafleur, flying up the ice and scoring one goal after another!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Change the word…religon…to faith in a creator, one with a purpose All things on this earth are in balance, they are apart of the food chain, water cycle, seasons etc yet these things are designed to bring pleasure to humans. Butterflys don’t have to be so beautiful, neither do flowers to fufill their purpose……….This is such a big box…………..to open. Do you just go to the church your mom raised you in? Check the other ones out? or check out what the Bible says? Psalms 37:11 says the rightous will inherite the earth. Even the Lords prayer at Matthew 6:9…. talks about his will being done on earth as it is in heaven, His name to be santified….. What name Look at Palsms 83:18 look in the front of the book to look up who “Lord” represents . Sorry, this is a very serious issue, not to just sastify our ‘ church’ need but to make a serious consideration of what truth is. Truth be told, the bible does not teach that the dead go to hell, look at Eccl 9:5 it says “the living are conscious they will die,but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all”

no more from me………….

except this…………sorry …………….the only thing that it all stands on is ….Love……….for each other, neighbor, regardless of where they live(appologies to the waring ones) and this earth provided under our stewardship. I pray God stops this insanity before we destroy all.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thoroughly checked out what a bible says last summer.

After it gave me explicit instructions for how to pay/marry/kill my rape victims and how to buy/sell labor & sex slaves, I put it down–partly because the passages weren’t really talking to me at all (I would be considered the property in each scenario, having no say about the matter).

It even gives you what cash prices each of the above should cost. Truth be told.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

^^^ it also gave me permission to kill my neighbours- actually it kinda insisted upon it. :P

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am originally from Hawaii and the one thing I learned that has stuck with me since early childhood is “There are things you can not explain.” There is a reason long established religions have endured the test of time. Religion is whatever it means to you but, why make it work against you. Is it not better to go within and find peace insted of striking out aganst beliefs that creates guilt and misgivings?

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i don’t know- i think its the nature of people to look for justifications and structure, stir the pot a little, laugh and tease, ask questions, and dig their heels in- maybe some more than others.

but then i’m from the UK- and one of the things we brits tend to do very well is take the piss out of ourselves, each other, the world around us and everything in it. probably cos if we couldn’t laugh, we’d probably go insane from the consistantly crappy weather over there.

i tend to avoid looking inwards as much as possible- experience has taught me that it generally results in this overwhelming sense of impending doom and panic- so i aint rooting around in there without a hazmat suit and a shrink on hand. i’ll stay out here where the chaos is relatively manageable, and keep taking the pills. : P

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

@jeneticallymodified, have you heard “Old Harry’s Game”, Andy Hamilton’s radio sitcom set in Hell? It addresses all these religious and philosophical questions, and makes all those all-powerful beings somehow, human.

Listening to it, I can’t help thinking that, if someone tried to do it in the USA, there would be a national outcry and death threats aimed at the perpetrators, for blasphemy.

But in the UK, it’s still going strong, 7 series and 4 Christmas specials later.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

i hadn’t until now, but i’m listening on youtube at this very minute, and laughing my arse off. thankyou very much- i know a few other people who are gonna love it too, and i do get withdrawal symptoms over here in canada.

…. yeah, i don’t think it’d go down that well at all in the USA- we’re a special lot when it comes to our sense of humour- its very dark, dry and self-deprecating. ie: healthy.

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

My own sense of humour leans very much towards the British. I’ve developed quite a taste for BBC Radio comedy, and there’s so much of it about now, thanks to the iPlayer on the BBC website. I’ve collected many new and classic shows that way—most of which would be met with either blank stares or indignation in North America.

I just found another brilliantly written and performed BBC show, called “Bleak Expectations”—a parody of Dickens. Listening to it, I can tell that the cast is having way too much fun…as is the audience. If only I could have gone to one of the recordings! There are a few episodes from Series One on YouTube, and you can get all of the first 3 series on iTunes. There’s a 4th series (which I missed when it aired in December) due out on iTunes on Feb. 3rd.

(I could have sworn this thread was about ADD and religion. Funny how it got round to British comedy…)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

BRITISH COMEDY! is there any other kind? H-e-y! I have ADHD I can be different! Some of the Puritan style religious beliefs are deffinately alive and well in the US and I admit it it is hard to stomach at times I dare say that to me alot of American comedy reads out of a Fraudian psychology text book. Don’t get me wrong I am proud to be an American but I love parodies and we just are to repressed here to get any an exception to the rule is Garrason Keilor’s “A Priey Home Companion” which does a a great satire on American Values. Hey! hows this for going off topic.

My only point is being originally from Hawaii I wave learned that there are things that just can’t be explained; I except traditional Christian beliefs on the whole but I also reserve the right to play “devils advocate” when something seems contradictory; an important maxim I try to live by is best expresssed by the Greek phylosopher Socretes “Know thyself, the unexamined life is unfit to live…”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

socrates was a smart bloke, so i’ve heard. maybe i will start dabbling with the inner workings of my mind a bit more then. : D

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats the ticket! don’t be afraid to look within; from personal experience I can tell you; the hardest thing, yet the most important thing we need to do, is to see the good in ourselves. It is easy to “beat ourselves up” we’ve been doing it since childhood; however the ultimate reality is our “self perception” it colours how we view the “world” around us, in turn, it colours how the “world” around us responds to us. You see Jen; personal perception is everything, learning how our mind works puts us in control of our lives. We may not always be able to control the behaviour of people around us but we can jolly well control how we respond to them.

K

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

hmmm. maybe i’ve been doing that all along then- with the cbt and self help and whatnot. i suppose the main reason for my reticence might be that i find the line a bit hard to tread sometimes, especially when things like ‘spirituality and religion’ which seem insanely ‘cosmic and groovy with magic and panpipes and therefore soooo not my cup of tea’ seem to blur into it.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with you; there is a fine line between spirituality and religion and depending how you approach it; they can be “light years” apart. The things I try to keep in mind, however are first, things are “seldom what they appear to be” and second other peoples belief systems are not meant to be an afront to your sesibilities. I define “spirituality” as the on going process of finding inner peace and harmony within myself. “Life is a journey not a destination.” The key is learning to be “centered” i.e. learning to be patient with… myself so that I can be patient with others. This is often hard because I will often play “devils advocate” when I come across something I disagree with or don’t understand; it is hard, to learn how to “agree to disagree without being disagreeable.”

K

REPORT ABUSE

Patte Rosebank
    Participant

A couple of days ago, Jim & Tammy Bakker’s son (now a tattooed, rock-n-roll preacher) was on TV, promoting his new book. They showed footage of his rock-n-roll church, complete with a big sign saying, “As Christians, we’re sorry for being self-righteous, judgmental bastards”. I thought that sign summed up part of why so many people are turned off by organized religion. Another part is, of course, the fact that it collects obscene amounts of wealth, from so many people who have so little to give…and then pays no taxes, so is not contributing anything tangible to improving life for society as a whole.

Or, as the best piece of bathroom graffiti I ever saw, put it: “I love Jesus. It’s his fan club I can’t stand.”

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 129 total)