Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

ADD and religion

ADD and religion2010-12-19T18:12:40+00:00

The Forums Forums Emotional Journey Is It Just Me? ADD and religion

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I once heard a line that said. Religions are like farts. You don’t mind your own but everyone else’s stinks!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hahaha! That’s a good one, Miguel!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks I’ll be here all week.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really don’t have the time to get hung-up on the “party line” when it comes to religion because it pushes my buttons, rather I focus my attention on building a sense of inner peace and well being which is my definition of “spirituality.” I do this in any way I can; as I ‘ve said earlier I look for “commonalities” things that positively brings people together, things are “seldomly what they appear to be” and there are things (in life) that just can’t be explained, justified maybe, but not necessarily explained.It is really hard at times, but I try to remember that other peoples belief systems don’t exsit to insult my senseabilities.

When I forget, I get caught up into my “rant and raves” and life becomes a living hell. I find whenever I do this sucessfully people around me are usually kinder towards me or if they are not it doesn’t bother me. Tthis helps me cope with ADHD, type I bi-polar disorder (rapid cycling- racing thoughts are subject to change from moment to moment, medications help emensely but if I don’t work on myself I can still end up in the hospital) as well as accute paanic disorder (I never know if or when an attack will happen but from what I am told it happens in cycles.Its like waiting for an earthquake to happen… no fun) Believe me; it is hard, very hard but worht the effort sinc the alternatives for me is losing control of my life and going into a “tailspin” fortunatelly I’ve been able to remain “self-aware” enough to keep “episodes” on the mild side.The more I work on myself, the greater my sucess has been for a longer length of time and the happier and more productive my life is….

K

REPORT ABUSE

trashman

afer reading everyones insight into there owen view on relidgion, it would be great if all that pasion could be tured into doing something good for others. I think most ways of beleifs are bassed on princeiplulls 1) dealing with guilt 2)hoping for help 3)positive change over all. This list could change and grow forever, My point is if you use what you beleve to inprove your life or and the world around you great. if it gives you some peace or sence of fofilment great. if you try to leave the world abetter place than you found it ok . as long as what you say or do does not harm or trys to take what someone else beleves. if the world thinks it can do what it wants to do to some group or person in the name of what they beleve , thats pretty sad. the thought of some groups to say we are all right and the rest of world is lost or DAMMED or should be is not only sad but wrong. to think that a higher entity is somewhere looking at all this seeing the suffering and hate and sadness and great need and is ok with watching all this is not a power that is going to do what people beleve the outcome will beleve. how can anyone who has any level of any beleif and not care and what i mean by that is to try to fix what is seen , instead of adding to the problem . to beleve in any life after this one and not start to pay it forward in some way is sad and norrow minded. if we have to step on every one we meet to get a head . then the kind and caring people like the ones that come here and help so many of of us and from what I see are paying it forward. so again I say thanks. we have this life if we could pass on some kind of help or understanding . then if that some one would do the same a person would never be forgoten and have left thier permenent mark on the world. so if we think that some of the world is lost or we are just lucky or blessed. to then think we don’t have a part in making life better for some one in need, then who is really better off. thanks for allowing me to r ant.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

When it comes to religion I think I’m beginning to reach an accomodation. I’m trying to attend Mass once a month. That’s probably the limit of my tolerance. Any more than that and the boredom will set in. Also, it keeps all the Catholics in my family, like my wife and my Mother-in-law, at bay. I still don’t believe half of what goes on, and I doubt I ever will, but at least no one can complain much.

I long for the day when I’ll finally be free to decide my religious life for myself, but I’ll probably have to wait until everyone dies off and I’m alone in the world. Pretty sad, eh, for a guy who’s going to be 57 soon! I’m glad I didn’t bring my kids up like this!

REPORT ABUSE

Shadow Nexus

If you choose to response to this, read the whole article. I know it’s torture for an ADHD person, but you’ll under the context better.

Very young, I was immersed in mono-theistic belief like most people in the USA. When I entered my teen years, I began to explore to religion and spirituality. Constantly, I did the one thing you shouldn’t, question the beliefs. It never really took.

Lets define the difference between religion and spirituality. Religion is specific list of beliefs that can’t be questioned. Spirituality is free form where you explore beliefs finding the ones that suit you. Religion is typically modern western systems such as monotheism(christian) and ancient western systems(poly-theism), enlightenment from some outside source. Spirituality is typically eastern systems, Neo-Pagan/New age, and philosophy, enlightenment from within. There is a bit of grey area between them.

These things I found to be true about religion in general:

Thou shall not kill with the exception of another religion competing for followers, (un)holy wars.

Love all with the exception of another religion competing for followers.

It’s mythology, if it’s not my religion.

There is no respect of competing belief systems, arrogance about my beliefs. “We have to convert the heathens. Save their souls.”

Put simply, mine is better than yours, so nya.

Religion practices pure hypocrisy.

Religion is pure pursuit of power, there is nothing noble about it

It’s controlling and manipulating people for the benefit of a few.

To question the authority of person in power, threatens the person in power

(brought these points up in philosophy class)

“Where religion reigns strong, horror soon follows.” Book: “Holy Horrors”

These beliefs have been used for mass murder at various points in history. The indirect or direct genocide of pagans in the dark and middle ages, known to modern pagans as the “Burning Times”. Any religion that doesn’t allow you to the question the authority of person in power is a dangerous cult.

Me personally, having ADHD made me explore my beliefs much more deeply. When I begin to explore pagan history using logic, I saw the truth, not the history written by mono-theistic culture. Pagan were the villains and mono-theistic the heroes. When the truth is very different, pagans were the victims and mono-theists were the villains of the story and history. When I made this realization, I saw they were hypocrites and the sheer volume of blood on their hands(most conservative estimate:100,000+ counted names). How history had been twisted or the truth covered in fog. How pagans/neo-pagans were and are treated as non-existent in the media in modern American society. They are to be converted in private, hassled, laughed at, and not taken seriously. So much for the first amendment to the constitution.

All once it hit me, I was horrified and started exploring other ways of looking at the world, spirituality. Then one day I watched one movie that changed my life forever. “Out on a limb”(1980’s), it was mind blowing. Everything in it made actually made sense. It opened my eyes to whole new world. I read every book I could find on the subject of “new age”/neo-paganism. Since this was spirituality, I could selectively accept or reject anything I read. I accepted some beliefs, rejected others. I finally found the peace I had searched for all my life. By the time I was 24, I was fully neo-pagan/new age. It has been an amazing journey. Also, I had found the tools that later helped me manage my ADHD.

Currently, I’m exploring my “brothers”, pagans, through a major website. It’s interesting to see how similar we are. How they had found their beliefs. The articles are great reading. “The myth of mono-theism” is next on my reading list. :-)

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that the primary failure of church (catholic and other denominations) is religion. Religion is a set of rules and regulations with standards that are hard to live up to. Now the essence of being a Christian is relationship. God says, “Hey, I’ve got a pretty high bar here and I know you can’t make it on your own, so come hang out with me and I’ll help you”.

Really. I spent years in church being guilted and shamed by my seeming inability to be good enough. Add to that my ADD and the guilt and shame that came with that package, and I was pretty much screwed.

And add to that my being a Pastor (did that before becoming a comedian)…What a downward spiral of condemnation.

But since coming to the realization that it’s about relationship (as I stated before) and community, not about do’s and don’t, I’ve really been at peace and actually more effective in ministry because it’d now comes from the heart, not a sense of moral obligation.

I no longer Pastor a church, though I serve in other ways. They don’t know what to with me because though I’m relatively conservative in my theology, the way I live it doesn’t fit into a rigid church structure. I just not a good little cog in the machine, but they see the genuineness of my beliefs.

As a comedian, I don’t do churches because I tend to irritate religious people. Go figure.

Anyway, my point to the original poster is that the dissatisfaction he may be feeling is with a religious organization and structure, but what is at the core is what is really important. Push all that other stuff off and dig into what matters.

REPORT ABUSE

BAM123
    Participant

I understand exactly how you feel as a Catholic and have the same problem with Mass – really the same thing.

Its tough – the main thing is the faith is perfect but the instituition is not. I don’t think abondoning the faith is the solution – and i share your exact same problems with MASS BELIEVE me. I’m about on the same mass schedule as you as well. Let go of the guilt and the shame – do the best you can with it. I go to confession once a month and it helps.

Maybe try and shop around a mass that works for you. Hang tough

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

A fascinating discussion! I probably would have freaked out had I read it in college in 1981!

I’m an ADD on Adderall (switched this past November after3 years on Wellbutrin and 4 more on Effexor; wow, what a different perspective!) as well as having Asperger.

I grew up Catholic, and never really left–it seems the structure of liturgy soothes me tremendously and calms my Aspie anxieties. I’ve been to liturgies that did bore me to tears (one Good Friday, I was at a service entitled “Three Hours Agony”; trust me, the preaching lived up to the billing!), and I make note to avoid that parish if possible. I married a cradle Catholic (from a guilt-inducing, martyristic ADD/Asperger family of origin) who had “run away” several times, but kept finding herself returning–she realized her mind operated in a very “catholic” manner. From our experience, we believe it’s possible to be “orthodox” without being craven and servile. We both exercise a fiendish sense of humor (I call myself “a man of great piety, but little reverence”), and find that both our faith and our scientific training complement each other.

Stodgy religiosity can be overcome! Even Pope Benedict has noted that faith is less about teachings than it is about a relationship with God!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was raised Episcopalian which is a lot like Catholic and I know what you mean about being bored sitting through sermons but I would highly recommwend trying different churches. There are a lot of churches where the sermon is dynamic upbeat and fun. Try charismatic churches, they are never boring. You get to clap to really fun music, stand up, move around, even dance and their focus is grace and not guilt or condemnation. The church I go to is actually fun and I can’t wait to go each week.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I definitely agree about the relationship part. If your faith is not an intimate relationship with God, I can see how it could be boring.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I’ve finally arrived at a decision. Next Sunday – Easter Sunday – will be the last time I attend Mass at a Catholic Church. I went to this morning’s Palm Sunday Mass, and as usual it was excruciatingly boring for me. And it was even longer than usual, since they read the Passion of the Lord in its entirety. I even had to step out and take a small break after an hour! Afterwards we gathered downstairs for coffee hour, and as usual I was in a surly mood. I got into a bit of an argument with another parishioner, and left in a huff. At that point I realized I can’t continue this. I go to church and I feel like a hypocrite, I never feel at home and close to God – yes, God, I still believe – And I think it’s time to sever all ties with organized religion. It simply doesn’t work for me anymore, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to continue to cause myself and others grief over it. Maybe if I can get a job with health insurance I can get my ADD treated, but until then this is the way it’ll have to be for me.

REPORT ABUSE

laddybug3

I find that were I am sitting affects my mood. Just as long as I can see the paster, then I hyper focus. Just as long as I don’t look at the bright windows with art work. I’m good. The paster is into drama. I think he was an actor before he was paster. He is awesome and makes mass interesting.

Palm Sunday everyone got a part to read, children marched with palms in hands, and we sang.

When I was in grades 5-9 I served mass. Church went faster, because I had a job to do. Mass has been longer then I remember. So I am thinking about doing something in mass.

I do feel guilty when I don’t go to mass. Although, I feel closer to God when I am outside praying.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

laddybug3 – don’t cave in to the guilt! The Church was great for imposing guilt on people in order to keep them in line. We’ve come a long way from those dark days! I’m learning to ignore the guilt by recognizing its source and its purpose, and instead listening to my heart. If you heart says to stay in the Church, then that’s fine, whatever works for you, but don’t pay any attention to the guilt. It’ll eat you up, like it did with me.

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 129 total)